Wiki Posts
Search

Bumped from First Class

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:58 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Glad you were able to get a resolution you were satisfied with.

Originally Posted by Kona Flyer
Maybe transfering from AA to Delta at 5 a.m. in LAX would've been a breeze. I didn't know if it would. Nor did the Delta CSR that was offering it. She couldn't tell me anything about how much time it would take to get there. The seat in coach was probably no more uncomfortable than the first class anxiousness over making that connection would have been. That's just me, but I'm the guy who paid for the first class tickets on Delta.
Just FYI - T4 (AA) to T5 (DL) at LAX is pretty easy as the terminals are right next to each other. You used to be able to do it airside using the AE bus but I don't know if that is still running since DL and AE don't seem to codeshare anymore.

TSA is the only wild-card as the lines at T5 can be out the door some days.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

Are you satisfied with this resolution?
Sounds fair to me. Delta gave you plenty of vouchers and offered to get you on AA in F! Wow, double dipping and you declined? What were you thinking? Most of us would have taken the AA flight.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Took my wife to Hawaii on a Sky Miles reward -- 210,000 miles for two round trip first class tickets. Itinerary was to be CLE to ATL, ATL to LAX, LAX to KOA (Kona). In the return, KOA to LAX, LAX to DTW, DTW to CLE. The final segment is a CRJ-200 with no first class seats, so we knew that was same as coach, but it's only 20 minutes in the air.

When we got to the Kona airport, we were told that due to an aircraft equipment change, there were six first class passengers reassigned to coach seat. We were put in row 42. I was livid and told the CSR that it was completely unacceptable. She offered to put us on an American flight in the first class cabin, which I declined because we'd have to change terminals in LAX at 5 AM, connect in Memphis and fly the last leg (now a 90 minutes flight, not a 20 minute hop) in coach, and arrive home 2 1/2 hours later.

In the end, we were handed two $100 vouchers good for 12 months and 2 upgrade coupons good for one way travel once. I told the CSR that I did not agree to this compensation as sufficient. I view this as a token, essentially a coupon toward a future purchase which I am not otherwise inclined to make.

I booked these flights six months ago and checked in for the round trip itinerary 14 days before I was bumped. On the day I was bumped, the change was made nearly 12 hours before departure time, and I was not notified by Delta either by phone nor by email. I only found out when I went to the counter to receive boarding passes.

Incidentally, the flight attendants told me that this very incident occured the on the same flight, prior day, and was in fact a fairly routine situation.

I demanded two round trip first class tickets to Hawaii as compensation. I was told that I would have to call "corporate" on Monday to discuss that. I don't feel that I should have to settle for less than two $500 vouchers and two roundtrip upgrade coupons.

I cannot believe that the airlines are able to jack passengers around like this. It is unconscienable, especially since all indications are that these equipment change decisions are related to better revenue than anything having to do with maintenance, safety or necessity.

What is fair in terms of compensation?
I know it's disappointing, but you were using miles. There is a priority system, and full fares get priority. When they changed planes, they went down the list and looked at each F pax's status and ticket type. Full fares, elite members, miles ugs, and bumps. Your status as you explain it would put you near the bottom of the list.

If you read your COC and perhaps your receipt, you will note that no seats are garunteed and they reserve the right to change them due to weather, equipment changes, availablity etc.

They are not, by any stretch of the imagination, out to "jerk" you around.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Kona Vacation 1st Class Bump Resolved

Going against the passive grumpy advice of most on flyertalk, I pursued Delta for an acceptable resolution, ultimately accepting two $800 travel awards for the inconvenience of being bumped out of our First Class seats from Hawaii. We used those awards to book two coach tickets to Puerto Vallarta. Ironically, after seven lovely nights in Mexico, our Delta jet failed to leave the gate for our return home -- nonfunctional navigation system. Delta put the entire flight up at the Marriott Casa Magna resort for the night, comp'ed dinner & drinks, transportation, the works. We figured that blip in performance cost them $25,000 in customer care alone, let alone the expense of adding a flight the next day to take care of the overflow.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, Starwood Plat
NWhen I did OLCI on Jan 29th, there was an option to check in automatically for the return trip, which I selected. That is why I wrote that I checked in 14 days ahead. I did not get a reminder email from Delta 24 hours before departure because I was automatically checked in -- therefore order of check in could not have been the determining factor.
I am confused. How did you check in 14 days ahead? You can only check in at t24 hours. I've never seen a "option to automatically check in for the return trip."

My guess is you were not checked in until you arrived at the airport for your return flight. You should have went online at 24 hours to check in as others have mentioned.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Going against the passive grumpy advice of most on flyertalk, I pursued Delta for an acceptable resolution, ultimately accepting two $800 travel awards for the inconvenience of being bumped out of our First Class seats from Hawaii. We used those awards to book two coach tickets to Puerto Vallarta. Ironically, after seven lovely nights in Mexico, our Delta jet failed to leave the gate for our return home -- nonfunctional navigation system. Delta put the entire flight up at the Marriott Casa Magna resort for the night, comp'ed dinner & drinks, transportation, the works. We figured that blip in performance cost them $25,000 in customer care alone, let alone the expense of adding a flight the next day to take care of the overflow.
All's well that end's well, right?

You have to forgive some of the folks on here; the same types of people railing on you are the ones who throw a hissy fit when they don't get their complimentary upgrades because Delta is following the letter of its FF program, and not the spirit. Please excuse the hypocrisy...
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Glad its resolved to your satisfaction..

Hopefully, you enjoyed your trip to PV..
Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Resurrecting an old thread to share a recent experience:

My return flight in F (revenue ticket) on Sunday night IAH to LGA was cancelled due to weather in NYC, rebooked myself on the non-stop the following morning. I had to call to make this rebooking as the system automatically rebooked me on first flight out the following day which had a layover in MSP. Agent assured me that I would remain in F, but said my seat would be assigned at the gate, there were plenty still available. I had two bags to check, did so curbside (with F ticket paid no extra fees) and went straight to gate to wait on gate agent. There were two available seats up front as I was waiting for the gate agent to show up but the Delta app would not let me select them. Upon her arrival gate agent immediately made announcement (before acknowledging me) that those waiting for seat assignments to wait, she will call us up, I obliged even though I was standing there for 20 minutes waiting for her so as to ensure my best chance of getting correct seat assignment.

Two elite members were upgraded to the empty seats before I was called up and given a seat in economy plus. By the time I was able to bring this to gate agent's attention, all of first class was already seated. Gate agent was very apologetic and offered to put me on next flight in F. At this point I'm two steps away from jetbridge and was content getting home as fast as possible in whatever seat they had for me. Upon landing I called delta reservations and was provided with a $200 travel voucher. The one way value for the ticket was about $275 and since I still got the perk of two free checked bags I thought that was more than fair.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you were in paid F, you are also entitled to a refund of the fare difference between F and Y. If you were on some form of discounted FC fare or anything else, the refund will be little or nothing.

Unfortunately, this is where it pays to be pushy.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by jasondub
Resurrecting an old thread to share a recent experience:

My return flight in F (revenue ticket) on Sunday night IAH to LGA was cancelled due to weather in NYC, rebooked myself on the non-stop the following morning. I had to call to make this rebooking as the system automatically rebooked me on first flight out the following day which had a layover in MSP. Agent assured me that I would remain in F, but said my seat would be assigned at the gate, there were plenty still available. I had two bags to check, did so curbside (with F ticket paid no extra fees) and went straight to gate to wait on gate agent. There were two available seats up front as I was waiting for the gate agent to show up but the Delta app would not let me select them. Upon her arrival gate agent immediately made announcement (before acknowledging me) that those waiting for seat assignments to wait, she will call us up, I obliged even though I was standing there for 20 minutes waiting for her so as to ensure my best chance of getting correct seat assignment.

Two elite members were upgraded to the empty seats before I was called up and given a seat in economy plus. By the time I was able to bring this to gate agent's attention, all of first class was already seated. Gate agent was very apologetic and offered to put me on next flight in F. At this point I'm two steps away from jetbridge and was content getting home as fast as possible in whatever seat they had for me. Upon landing I called delta reservations and was provided with a $200 travel voucher. The one way value for the ticket was about $275 and since I still got the perk of two free checked bags I thought that was more than fair.
You are also entitled to a one way upgrade certificate usable on any fare. Call corporate customer care back
Old Mar 23, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Deleted

Last edited by keloutwest; Mar 23, 2016 at 2:56 pm
Old Mar 23, 2016, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Unfortunately, this is where it pays to be pushy.
Unfortuately, I think that would entirely depend on which side of the bed the gate agent awoke.

"I told you to just wait!
Now I don't have a seat at all for you on this flight!
I can put you on the next flight, but your ticket is an -UP and so I'm putting you in coach!
In a middle seat!
In the last row!"

Old Mar 23, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: Delta DDM 720, SPG Unobtainium, CC Adamantium, can I keep bragging now?
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Unfortuately, I think that would entirely depend on which side of the bed the gate agent awoke.

"I told you to just wait!
Now I don't have a seat at all for you on this flight!
I can put you on the next flight, but your ticket is an -UP and so I'm putting you in coach!
In a middle seat!
In the last row!"

Pfft. Easy response to that...

"DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!"

Old Mar 23, 2016, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HonoraryOrange
Pfft. Easy response to that...

"DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!"

Or call your elite line or ask a SC agent or redcoat to fix it back.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 5:14 pm

Downgrade priority

Aircraft swaps that happen in advance have downgrades processed automatically and they're based on elite status. GM with a complimentary upgrade is safer than a FF in F class. I don't know if FO status matters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.