Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PLAT early upgrade FAIL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
Post here are often made with an agenda in mind and you will never know the truth unless you have access to the DL systems. Just look at this post http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15842453-post21.html from some who made some very poor assumptions.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15851021-post3.html

Gbadger.....another example of why your method will not work. You would think that after being busted multiple times for posting false information by someone with access to DL information, they would give it up.

This is simply why what you are looking for will only be found by accessing information you will never have access too. If you think you can prove something by post like this, then you have already arrived at the answer you are looking for and you are simply looking for data to back it up (and it does not matter to you whether the data is correct or not)
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by GBadger
Maybe, but Sunday I'm flying DTW-SFO and there are still 6 seats open on the A320 with no advance upgrade for this DM.
I'm flying DTW-LGA tomorrow, and as a Plat, my upgrade cleared last night. CVG-DTW cleared at the window, as did LGA-CVG.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 7:38 am

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by GBadger
I'm tracking a couple of things in the "2011 Upgrade Success Thread":
F seats available at T-24 and
F seats available at the gate

To get an idea of how many seats may be going to the up-sell program. I realize it's not perfect -- but if I routinely see the number of F seats go from 9 to 2 or similar within 24 hours from flight time, I think it's safe to say that there's some impact of that program.
A couple of us who have access to the system have been watching all the flights people post enough data about to actually be able to research and we've found a couple of very interesting pieces of data:

1) There has never been a case of an buy-up occurring prior to medallions being cleared into F. There are cases where someone bought an F fare less than an hour before the flight but the buy-up shows up in the system differently and those are never processed if there are still medallions sitting in back. There are multiple cases where IROPS pushed someone into F; I can tell you there are times where I took a re-route (technically IROP) and all I asked for in return was a guaranteed F seat.

2) DL does not clear upgrades if there are more medallions in a given status level than there are seats in F available. If there are 7 PMs on the list but only 6 seats they wont clear anyone into F until F either gets one more seat or the number of medallions at a given level decreases.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IC Platinum, National Exec Elite
upgrades, what upgrades?

I flew 140,000 BIS miles last year. After getting gold, I started getting upgrades. 2010- GM 6/8, PM 7/9, DM 8/8. 2011 DM 0/4. I was 9, 18, 11, 12 on the upgrade lists. That means there were that many DM with a higher fare ahead of me. I am surprised that my upgrades have evaporated, but they were not ever guaranteed. I will now start flying other airlines with direct routes instead of flying thru DTW, ATL, or MSP. The benefit that drew me to Delta was the upgrades and now they are gone.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Come on DL.....REVENUE, NOT MILES....end this madness.....PLEASE!
I'd agree to that if whoever paid for the ticket got the bennies -- your company/client pays, they get the points.

Whenever that is suggested the first thing that comes back is "but it's my butt in the seat..." which tells me miles do matter.

I'm the first to admit I am a cubic zirconia DM. But that doesn't mean I'm not of value to DL. Nobody flies nonstop to all the places I fly, so I most likely have to connect somewhere. I could choose any airline (or combo) but choose DL (UA/LH probably has the most non stops)

(And just for the record, I don't do mileage runs.)
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by majorwibi
2) DL does not clear upgrades if there are more medallions in a given status level than there are seats in F available. If there are 7 PMs on the list but only 6 seats they wont clear anyone into F until F either gets one more seat or the number of medallions at a given level decreases.
I thought the date of purchase for the ticket was a tie-breaker?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I did not know that and I don't think I've ever seen that mentioned here. That does explain some things I've seen in the past. Thanks.

I think the underlying problem here is what is my number one beef with Delta (well the high price of M fares is up there too . ) -- lack of clear and forthright information. How many threads have we seen spin out of control that could have been shut down with one clear sentence from DL. And often times when we do finally get something it is a "non-denial denial" or so couched in weasel words or marketing speak as to be useless.

My fear is there is something big coming down the pike and it is being held for later in the year so that many will find it too late in the year to switch to another carrier but early enough that by the end of the year it will have become the new normal and largely forgotten. No evidence. And may not happen. But the thundering silence is deafening.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:03 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
That explains a LOT! (And really sucks to anyone not a DM trying to SDC onto a flight!) Why wouldn't they proceed as far down the list as inventory allowed at that time?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I don't think this is true at all. For example, take my LAX-ATL flight last week. At the 5-day EUA mark there were 7 seats avail for upgrades as per ExpertFlyer. Right after EUA it went to zero. That means 7 DM's and PM's were upgraded per the EUA rules. Upgrade inventory remained zero up until flight time. At the airport there were 27 people on the upgrade list and 8 wound up clearing at the gate. All 8 of those cleared at the gate were PM as far as I could tell based on the tags they had on their bags and one or two BP's that I could read. I am not saying it's a fact they were all PM but most, if not all, were.

What I am saying is that it's most likely (99%) that several of these PM's were on the upgrade list at the 5-day mark and didn't clear because V/X went to zero. I won't buy anyone saying that 8 PM's SDC'd onto the flight that morning either

I've also been on flights where V/X = 1 at the EUA window and I'm the only one to clear EUA - yet I'm not the only DM/PM on the whole flight. Likewise, I've been on the losing end of this deal where I am *not* the one upgraded and I have to wait for the gate upgrade. In this situation one or two higher ranked DM's got upgraded and I didn't.

Just my observation. Nothing I said or you suggested in your post is based on scientific fact. It's an interesting observation, though.

-RM
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
That would make sense except it doesn't seem to be the case with the info on the flight where I started this thread. Flight info: Monday 2739 to 1823. 1st Seg UG cleared 6 days out. 2nd seg cleared 3 days out. During the 48hours after the PM window was open 1 seat was sold or possibly DM bought and got UG (they were advertising on the fare "$59 more to fly FC". There are still 4 seats available.

I didn't pay attention to the aircraft but it does seem they changed from a 737 to MD88 since all of a sudden 1A/B have disappeared from the seat map.

What's funny is they are doing the same thing on the flight home SAT-ATL...seats available but no UG. ATL-DCA...got the UG 6 days out.

As someone mentioned...why wouldn't they just clear PM's as listed in the clearance order? I am convinced this is just DL's way of trying to get every penny out of FC before living up to their end of the bargin and rewarding elites.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I thought the date of purchase for the ticket was a tie-breaker?
It is on the UG priority list to break ties between two or more people of the same status on the same fare. This is why in the DL system everything has a "timestamp" that says when someone purchased their ticket in military time HHMM/Date
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: DELTA
Originally Posted by Lackey99
Booked on an MD88 from ATL-SAT. 16 FC Seats...only 2 filled 6 days out. Window opened and only DM got UG's. I'm assuming this since I'm PLAT w/Reserve and would be next in line. Still have 8 seats open. Shocked they feel they can actually sell 8 FC seats in 5 days.

I'm fairly certain I'll get the UG but come on...only 2 seats sold 6 days out and they are holding 1/2 the seats. Better not try to sell my UG to a non elite at the gate.

Then again...with a 47 minute connection in ATL I'll probably miss the flight anyways.
You need to wait. The EUA process will make two passes thru your flight. The first will be to clear the DM's. The second pass will take place an hour or two later and if inventory is available, PM's will be cleared.

-A
Old Feb 13, 2011, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

Let me make sure I understand what you are suggesting here.

Are you saying that, when the PM window opens, if there are only 6 FC seats in V, and there are 7 PMs on the list, the computer will forget about all of the secondary priority factors and not upgrade any of the PMs?

If so, sounds like a backdoor way of not providing UGs and biding time for more FC purchased seats (i.e., monetization via another route).
Old Feb 13, 2011, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Let me make sure I understand what you are suggesting here.

Are you saying that, when the PM window opens, if there are only 6 FC seats in V, and there are 7 PMs on the list, the computer will forget about all of the secondary priority factors and not upgrade any of the PMs?

If so, sounds like a backdoor way of not providing UGs and biding time for more FC purchased seats (i.e., monetization via another route).
LIKE...yes FT needs a "Like" button.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by Lackey99
LIKE...yes FT needs a "Like" button.
Wouldn't DISLIKE be more appropriate here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.