Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2006, 11:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
It is has been my experience that DL code shares with AF are fraught with problems! Try to get DL to do the upgrade on the flight for you. If you don't clear before the flight, chances are you won't.

Also, I ALWAYS get mis-information from both carriers as to where to check in. While you are on a DL ticket, I have been told to check in at the AF counter and vice versa. I start at the DL counter since it is their ticket stock. Please remember that CDG is a big airport and the two counters are in different terminals. FWIW, staying at the Sheraton at CDG makes for a very nice way to take a morning flight!

Given that you are on an "M" fare will work towards your advantage. I assume you will be traveling on the A330 aircraft which is very nice even in back! Coach seats have at least 32 inches of pitch and personal video. Service on AF is better than DL on int'l travel (IMHO)

Au revoir!
Old Aug 3, 2006, 11:19 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
I wouldn't count on being upgraded on AF no matter what your ticket class is. I have only once been upgraded on AF and it had nothing to do with the ticket class. Although AF is aware in their system that I am Elite Plus it has never gotten me an upgrade even with empty seats in Biz and even with a M class coach fare (issued by DL). AF takes care of their FF first and often does not go into the SkyTeam pool of elites. At least from my experience. (CO and NWA have upgraded me although I have no status with either individually. They upgraded me based on my ElitePlus status.)

The one time I was upgraded (from Biz to First) was due to two reasons. First, my biz class seat assignment was issued twice. The other passenger had beaten me to the seat so the Cheif Purser was summoned to assist. Second, I was a personal friend of the Chief Purser so he asked the captain if I could be moved into First (the upper deck of a 747). The captain, of course, said yes. Tres bien!

Old Aug 3, 2006, 11:44 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by vorosmarty
Does anyone know the likelihood of getting upgraded on an Delta M Class ticket (codeshared on Air France) from CDG-IAD? No upgrades were available, and none had been released. It's for an Sept. flight.
All depends on when you're travelling, etc. (and I assume you are going to use miles to upgrade and you have asked DL to waitlist you already?) Since there are 3 daily flights between CDG and IAD, the chances are not too bad if you're not travelling on peak business travel day (such as Friday evening). My experience is that the "Z" class (upgraded Business) availability on DL-coded-AF-operated flights across the pond opens up pretty late (i.e., a week or less before the flight). There is definitely no Z inventory available now for September simply because they haven't opened it up yet. Just as an example, looking at the next few days,

Fri 8/4 has Z availability on all 3 flights
None on 8/5 and 8/6
Mon 8/7 has Z on one flight
Tue 8/8 has Z on one flight
Wed 8/9 has Z on one flight
Thu 8/10 has Z on two flights
and then none from 8/11 onwards (that's at least a week away).

Of course, Business is also less full in August, a vacation month, whereas September is another story....just make sure you're waitlisted and then check back with them 7-10 days before flight.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 11:46 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by Evan!
I wouldn't count on being upgraded on AF no matter what your ticket class is. I have only once been upgraded on AF and it had nothing to do with the ticket class. Although AF is aware in their system that I am Elite Plus it has never gotten me an upgrade even with empty seats in Biz and even with a M class coach fare (issued by DL).
You're talking about an involuntary, operational upgrade...technically with an M fare, the OP could use DL miles to upgrade on the flight since he's got a DL ticket...
Old Aug 3, 2006, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, FB Plat, LH SEN, Amex Cent
Originally Posted by Evan!
I wouldn't count on being upgraded on AF no matter what your ticket class is. I have only once been upgraded on AF and it had nothing to do with the ticket class. Although AF is aware in their system that I am Elite Plus it has never gotten me an upgrade even with empty seats in Biz and even with a M class coach fare (issued by DL). AF takes care of their FF first and often does not go into the SkyTeam pool of elites. At least from my experience. (CO and NWA have upgraded me although I have no status with either individually. They upgraded me based on my ElitePlus status.)
I was once upgraded from Biz to First flying NRT-CDG on AF, based on my DL PM status (back when I had no status on AF), because Biz was overbooked. The whole plane was fulkl of Japanese and so maybe the three people in First weere the only ones with status on any SkyTeam airline.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 12:39 pm

Yeah, I find it very confusing. The delta agent told me to purchase the M class so I could upgrade, of course...I was told it was unavailable at the moment. The thing I found strange, was the Waitlist was closed and the Delta agent mentioned "she" was already waitlisted (meaning only one person was waitlisted). Delta has told me to keep calling back to check and see if the waitlist opens up, but you all have been very helpful for what to expect! Thanks. It's a 9/11 flight on the Airbus 330 CDG-IAD.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Air France Upgrades

I am new to Delta, and curious about the success of upgrading using DELTA miles on Air France. I am contemplating buying 2 tickets from ORD/CDG and using 25K miles to upgrade...anyone know how easy/possible this is to do?
Can anyone speak to the quality of the business or 1st class on Air France?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 8:45 am
Used to be mmsteidl

Programs: AA PLAT for life, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat Ambassador
AF seems to be on of the most reluctant airlines on earth to provide upgrades even for their own frequent flyers. So no chance with Delta miles, I suppose.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 8:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond
You can only use DL miles to upgrade on DL flights now.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 8:53 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I'm pretty sure that the exception that allowed you to upgrade AF trans-Atlantic flights (booked via DL codeshares) with Delta miles/PMUs has been closed.

Further, as a Delta SkyMiles member, you'll never see the Air France First Class cabin. For some stupid reason, Air France has decided that Delta SkyMiles are not "worthy" of redemption for Air France First Class and sadly, Delta hasn't really tried to fix this (you listening, RealDLInsider?).

Business Class on Air France is very nice. Perhaps just a cut below Delta BusinessElite, depending on what you value in Business Class. The food is very good, but it IS French, which puts some people off. I'm told the wines are excellent. I personally despise the Mimbari-bed seats in AF business class, and the 2-3-2 configuration of AF business class on many planes.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 9:06 am
Used to be mmsteidl

Programs: AA PLAT for life, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Further, as a Delta SkyMiles member, you'll never see the Air France First Class cabin.
You could still pay for it...
Old Apr 23, 2007, 9:15 am

Programs: DL DM, Starwood Plat, Hertz 5*
I'm pretty sure that the exception that allowed you to upgrade AF trans-Atlantic flights (booked via DL codeshares) with Delta miles/PMUs has been closed.

When did that change???
Old Apr 23, 2007, 9:22 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Further, as a Delta SkyMiles member, you'll never see the Air France First Class cabin. For some stupid reason, Air France has decided that Delta SkyMiles are not "worthy" of redemption for Air France First Class and sadly, Delta hasn't really tried to fix this (you listening, RealDLInsider?).
Just for your info, I was once upgraded from J to F on an AF flight (CDG-JNB). It was an Op-Up that AF gave me without my asking.

Miracles do happen on occasion.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 9:30 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by mmsteidl
AF seems to be on of the most reluctant airlines on earth to provide upgrades even for their own frequent flyers. So no chance with Delta miles, I suppose.
Actually, especially out of Germany, you are way better off upgrade-wise on Air France than on Delta.

Delta requires Y/B/M fares so that you can upgrade, Air France requires Y/B/K fares so that you can upgrade. FRA-NYC on Delta is 1125 Euros plus taxes and surcharges, Air France is 890 Euros incl. taxes and surcharges.

Also, Air France allows you to ask for your mileage upgrade at the airport too - in the event you cannot get a hold of inventory beforehand.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 9:37 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
I believe you gotta thank DL for that as DL is more than stingy with award inventory to/from Europe.

Actually, not just Delta, but most US carriers. In Star Alliance, it has gone very far at United with many partner flights "not being available" bespite award inventory being more than readily available...

So Delta is not alone in the boat. The problem is that the US programs are giving away tons of miles through credit cards and similar promotions, but they are unwilling or unable to provide adequate supply with regards to actual seats to redeem those miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.