Wiki Posts
Search

Gifting PM upgrade certificates

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Gifting PM upgrade certificates

I'm getting conflicting answers from SMS reps, hoping somebody can clarify for me.

I have a bunch of these PMU certificates that are expiring next month and I have a friend who's traveling on a B fare tomorrow. I'd like to apply one to his reservation but I'm getting different answers each time I call. Some reps say I have to be travelling, others say there's no G space so they can't apply/waitlist.

What's the true answer? Can I give SMS my certificate # to apply to my friends reservation or not? There is indeed no G space per Expertflyer, but there are still 5 F seats for sale. My understanding is that one can be waitlisted with these certificates, is that correct?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
You have to be flying with him to be able to use the PMUs.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
They require G or Z space, although upgrades can occur at the gate.

More importantly, they cannot be transferred unless you are travelling on the same flights, but not necessarily the same PNR.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Each rep you spoke to was probably correct, albeit each one only told you part of the rules.

- G availability is required, though you may waitlist if there is no G inventory available.
- Certificates are not transferrable and must be redeemed by the Medallion member for themselves or a traveling companion on the same flights and in the same PNR.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by javabytes
Each rep you spoke to was probably correct, albeit each one only told you part of the rules.

- G availability is required, though you may waitlist if there is no G inventory available.
- Certificates are not transferrable and must be redeemed by the Medallion member for themselves or a traveling companion on the same flights and in the same PNR.
I don't think the same PNR is required. For instance, the DM/PM could be travelling on a paid BE ticket or an award ticket while the companion using the SWU has a purchased coach ticket. AFAIK purchased and award tickets cannot be purchased on a single PNR and PNRs can never be combined, only split or linked.

Also, G is the upgrade inventory class only for domestic and EUA eligible flights marketed as FC. Domestic etc. flights marketed as business class use the Z bucket as does international BE.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't think the same PNR is required. For instance, the DM/PM could be travelling on a paid BE ticket or an award ticket while the companion using the SWU has a purchased coach ticket. AFAIK purchased and award tickets cannot be purchased on a single PNR and PNRs can never be combined, only split or linked.
It became so when the electronic SWUs were issued. Read T&C #1 (emphasis mine):

Terms & Conditions

1. Upgrade Offer: This certificate is valid for upgraded one-way travel on all Delta Air Lines operated flights worldwide, including connecting flights, between the origin and destination of a ticketed fare for the named Medallion member or a travel companion booked in the same reservation pursuant to the terms and conditions of this offer...
The old paper SWUs read:

Terms & Conditions

1. Upgrade Offer: This certificate is valid for one, one-way upgrade for the named Medallion member or a travel companion pursuant to the terms and conditions of this offer...
I pitched a royal fit when my paper PMUs were exchanged for the online ones and I read the new terms. My companions are almost never booked in the same reservation. I argued they should have changed the terms for new SWUs issued, but left the old ones intact and not involuntarily swapped them on me. DL pulled a T&C #17 on me and said "oh well"...

17. Rule Changes: Delta reserves the right to change its contract of carriage, fare rules, rules and regulations and the SkyMiles Membership Guide and Program Rules at any time and without notice. Without limitation, Delta reserves the right to modify or eliminate the Platinum Medallion Upgrade certificate program or change the rules for certificate usage. This certificate is the property of Delta Air Lines and must be surrendered or returned upon request.

Last edited by javabytes; Jan 5, 2011 at 9:18 pm
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA ExecP
Originally Posted by javabytes
It became so when the electronic SWUs were issued. Read T&C #1 (emphasis mine):

The old paper SWUs read:
While I do agree that this is what the T&Cs say, I have had many reps ignore this rule regarding a single PNR. They do strictly enforce the same cabin rule though. You must already in in F or J prior to using one for a companion.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Wow. For lack of a better word, this sucks.

I already knew these were semi-worthless for international travel and on the very low utility side for domestic, but this takes the cake. I have only once been successful in finding G availability and that was about 4 months in advance of travel. Most my trips are with a couple weeks notice and I've always just left it to chance (and fared quite well) with the standard unlimited elite upgrades rather than using these since I figure I'm higher off on the list that way.

I simply cannot understand the customer service case for making these so difficult to use. I get the business case (want people to buy F, etc), but why even offer this as a "benefit" if there's such a miniscule chance of being able to use them? Correct me if I'm wrong, but on UA, for example, one can gift their SWUs/CRUs to anybody, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.