Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Combining Award and Paid Travel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2011, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
Combining Award and Paid Travel

I have an upcoming business trip and will be in AMS from a Fri to a Wed with the weekend off. Tried to find business award travel for my wife from either MCO or MLB to AMS to join me. Tried using the award calendar and called and you can guess the results.. Mega Miles. I did find business from DTW to AMS and back for 100K. I also found round trip from MCO to DTW in coach for $155.00. These short flights aren't an issue in coach. My question is are there any problems in doing this? She can check in for both flights on line before she leaves MCO even if they are two different pnrs right? Then she already has boarding passes so does not have to go through security again in DTW. Am I missing anything here?

Thanks
Old Jan 5, 2011, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
With separately ticketed itineraries, you run the risk of a delay or cancellation in the first itinerary impacting the start of the second. In such cases, Delta's obligation is usually quite limited.

Some discussion on that here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...k-acc-but.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...se-irrops.html

She may not be able to check in for the second flight before completing the first.

Also, consider if any checked bags are needed, as they will either have to be checked all the way through or reclaimed in DTW and re-checked.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 4:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Checking bags through on separate DL PNRs is no problem; it only becomes an issue if you don't have the documents of the other flight or if your carriers don't interline.

If she has status, DL is likely to be pretty good if there's a problem. However, I would never do this with different carriers, especially budget carriers. Also, allow lots of extra time for the connection, even more than is usually prudent.

If low space opens up for connecting flights, you might want to add them to the TATL itinerary and cancel the purchased ticket.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Checking bags through on separate DL PNRs is no problem; it only becomes an issue if you don't have the documents of the other flight or if your carriers don't interline.

If she has status, DL is likely to be pretty good if there's a problem. However, I would never do this with different carriers, especially budget carriers. Also, allow lots of extra time for the connection, even more than is usually prudent.

If low space opens up for connecting flights, you might want to add them to the TATL itinerary and cancel the purchased ticket.
I will continue to watch this for sure. They are both DL flights and she has 3 hours between connections in DTW. It is also direct MCO to DTW so no issues wih connections there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.