Wiki Posts
Search

Thank You Jeff!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k, DL
Originally Posted by Vuelos
Exactly. That's why I wouldn't have started a thread and purposely kept information vague? But you seemed to want to show off that you got something special.
Cmon... Show off? Really? Lol... Wow... Not my intentions at all. I don't live some cyber life in which I get enjoyment out of "showing" off to frequent travelers. Trust me, I have far better things to do with my time.

Once again, the purpose of the thread was not to hide what I received, it was to illustrate DL does come through from time to time... Sheesh...
Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

I am confused as to what the point is. I guess I should start posting "I'm happy / mad" but not explaining. Why even bother writing the post? I've met the OP and this comes from confusion as to why bother writing a post if your whole goal is to not revel information?
No reason to be confused. It's the new year. No need to get all worked up over a post on a frequent flyer board. It can't be that serious...

Btw - When / where have we met??
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by DDCT
I had the opposite experience with Jeff. I wrote him a friendly email on 12/10 and haven't heard a thing back. I fly 250,000+ miles per year between Delta and United. I had some specific concerns about international travel with Delta that I was hoping he could address before I switched the balance of my travel, mostly international, to Delta in 2011. I start my 2011 travel on 1/17, if Delta isn't worried about capturing it, it I won't either.
I find e-mail to be extremely unreliable. Lots of times an e-mail will just disappear into the ether. It sounds like you sent one e-mail, didn't receive an answer, and based on that you might not give DL your business.

Your outbound server could have burped. An in-between e-mail server could have burped on one of the hops. His reply could have disappeared into your servers spam filters. A thousand other things could have happened.

This is especially true if you are using yahoo, hotmail or AOL- they routinely dump loads of mail to clear out their backlogs.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:12 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Denolloyd
The focus of the thread should not be what I did not share, but rather that DL does in fact go out of its way sometimes to take care of its Elite Customers.
Actually the focus of any thread on a public, anonymous forum is where the posters take it. It may or may not be where the OP intended it to go, and with the vagueness, you did open this thread up to going in a totally different direction than you might have intended, though certainly knew it was possible if not probable. As someone else said, you have been around FT long enough (to know that).
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Exactly. That's why I wouldn't have started a thread and purposely kept information vague?

I am confused as to what the point is. I guess I should start posting "I'm happy / mad" but not explaining. Why even bother writing the post? I've met the OP and this comes from confusion as to why bother writing a post if your whole goal is to not revel information?
Because chat boards are not meant to be completely structured and every thread/post does not need to have a point (MANY don't). I am just defending the right to post, good or bad, and let everyone sensor themselves. Just as I do not want somebody telling me what I can watch on TV or listen to on the radio; as long as it does not offend and is about Delta Skymiles then let it be posted. I would argue that the fact he got resolution is just as worthy of reporting as the 15 "when will my roll over miles post" threads.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,

Once again, the purpose of the thread was not to hide what I received, it was to illustrate DL does come through from time to time... Sheesh...
With all due respect to what you have added to this board over the years, this is not news to most of us.... that DL comes through. This is like a "dog bites man" story. The overwhelming majority of the time, DL does the right thing, or makes a "wrong" into a right.

I think the point that many of us are making is simply that your post did not give us anything to chew on, that there was no content other than something happened and DL made it OK again.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RobertS975
With all due respect to what you have added to this board over the years, this is not news to most of us.... that DL comes through.
I'd have to disagree. Perusing the Delta forum yields substantially more "delta sucks" threads than "delta rocks".

It is what it is, however my intention was a good one. I was simply hoping to encourage others to email Jeff when they felt the need to. In reading the board the last few weeks, I saw several individuals with an issue similar to mine. Most emailed called SMS or used the comment field on DL.com and had no success. By drafting a good letter and sending it to Jeff's attention, I was able to accomplish what I needed (and yes, I'm well aware more than likely an Exec Correspondence group handled the email).

Perhaps I'm too optimistic of the way in which FTyers perceive one another. My intentions were truly positive...

Cheers^
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, United GS, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
I find e-mail to be extremely unreliable. Lots of times an e-mail will just disappear into the ether. It sounds like you sent one e-mail, didn't receive an answer, and based on that you might not give DL your business.

Your outbound server could have burped. An in-between e-mail server could have burped on one of the hops. His reply could have disappeared into your servers spam filters. A thousand other things could have happened.

This is especially true if you are using yahoo, hotmail or AOL- they routinely dump loads of mail to clear out their backlogs.
Resent it last night. We'll see.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
I'd have to disagree. Perusing the Delta forum yields substantially more "delta sucks" threads than "delta rocks".

It is what it is, however my intention was a good one. I was simply hoping to encourage others to email Jeff when they felt the need to. In reading the board the last few weeks, I saw several individuals with an issue similar to mine. Most emailed called SMS or used the comment field on DL.com and had no success. By drafting a good letter and sending it to Jeff's attention, I was able to accomplish what I needed (and yes, I'm well aware more than likely an Exec Correspondence group handled the email).

Perhaps I'm too optimistic of the way in which FTyers perceive one another. My intentions were truly positive...

Cheers^
Yes, there are way more "DL Sux" than "DL Rox" threads. Now, why on earth could that be? Is it because so many FT members are not enlightened enough to understand DL's beneficence? Or, is it just because, well, you know...

You've taken some heat for posting a vague thread that celebrated the fact that "Jeff" - with some doubt about that - responded and took care of..well, something.

But what happens next when someone posts a thread complaining that "Hey I emailed Jeff and he never answered or took care of my problem." Heck, I could start that ball rolling since I emailed him recently and he didn't respond or do anything about my complaint. Which I cannot share. It might have been "DL SM sux" or it might not. It might have contained the phrase "The Stalinist nature of the DL borg is my best guess" or it might not.

OTOH, to be fair, it could have been difficult for him since it was cc:d to Jeff S and Scott at CO as well as Rick at DL. Antitrust regulators don't like that kind of dialog and airline execs don't want to put responses on record. Even if they know their own Borg is Stalinist
Old Jan 4, 2011, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, United GS, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by redtailshark
Yes, there are way more "DL Sux" than "DL Rox" threads. Now, why on earth could that be? Is it because so many FT members are not enlightened enough to understand DL's beneficence? Or, is it just because, well, you know...

You've taken some heat for posting a vague thread that celebrated the fact that "Jeff" - with some doubt about that - responded and took care of..well, something.

But what happens next when someone posts a thread complaining that "Hey I emailed Jeff and he never answered or took care of my problem." Heck, I could start that ball rolling since I emailed him recently and he didn't respond or do anything about my complaint. Which I cannot share. It might have been "DL SM sux" or it might not. It might have contained the phrase "The Stalinist nature of the DL borg is my best guess" or it might not.

OTOH, to be fair, it could have been difficult for him since it was cc:d to Jeff S and Scott at CO as well as Rick at DL. Antitrust regulators don't like that kind of dialog and airline execs don't want to put responses on record. Even if they know their own Borg is Stalinist

Who let the cat in?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Mdanner423
An unknown issue was solved in an unknown way!

Stop the press!
I believe that these kinds of threads are an important addition to the random noise and appearance of useful information provided by flyertalk. After all, to quote a great American Statesman, Donald Rumsfeld:

"Now what is the message there? The message is that there are known "knowns." There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns. -- I'm not into this detail stuff. I'm more concepty."

By the way, I believe that another of his quotes might come in handy when explaining at some point where on earth the FC upgrades for elites on DL are:

"We know where they are. They're in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, south, and north somewhat....I would also add, we saw from the air that there were dozens of trucks that went into that facility after the existence of it became public in the press and they moved things out. They dispersed them and took them away. So there may be nothing left. I don't know that. But it's way too soon to know. The exploitation is just starting."
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
The focus of the thread should not be what I did not share, but rather that DL does in fact go out of its way sometimes to take care of its Elite Customers. If someone did you a solid, would you let the entire world know? Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes out of respect for those that went beyond protocol to assist, it's only fair to keep things a bit on the "low"

I have shared lots of valuable information on this site and if anyone gets pissy with me because of this thread, thats honestly their problem. I simply wanted to shed a positive light on the DL Execs. Don't see the harm in that.

Also, this can serve as a forum for those that wish to thank Jeff for whatever in the future...

Peace
Well, what do you have to hide in the first place? If it is so positive, share it with us. Otherwise, its like inviting us over to your house on a beautiful day to go swimming, but only letting us dangle our feet in the water.

Last edited by DL2SXM; Jan 5, 2011 at 12:57 am
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:31 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I just think that it's good to know that sometimes, DL does pull through for Elites. I've had a situation several years ago when NW came through for me and I really appreciated that (and still do).

Had the OP posted the details then everyone would expect the same treatment and a rare favor would be expected as the norm, which is not ok IMO.

Thanks for the post, Denolloyd!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 3:12 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, Priority Club Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by skowse
yup awesome job, thanks for sharing
What exactly did the OP share? They wrote a mystery email to Jeff and someone else responded. Yeah really, thanks for sharing!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 3:38 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
I won't disclose what I think about this thread.
Please, don't ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.