Search

Companion Upgrades Rehashed...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Question Companion Upgrades Rehashed...

Wife is a FO, I have No Status.

I realize the FO upgrades are rare...let alone their companions, but we're booking a trip on a route that is low on the medallion flyers.

That being said, do we book our flights on the same or separate PNR's?

Essentially, does the booking of multiple PNR's or a singular PNR effect the upgrade chances of my wife, or the two of us combined?

Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
I just checked the DL website:

If you are on the same PNR, it is both or nothing.
If you are on different PNRs, your wife could clear even if you don't.

If you are already booked on one PNR but would be willing to take the chance that only your wife would be upgraded, call DL and ask to have the PNR "divided", then request the companion upgrade.

Last edited by DLFan2; Jan 3, 2011 at 1:23 pm
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
If you are willing to have only one of you upgraded, book separately.
Would I still have a chance at an upgrade, or is it gone?
If you will only accept having both of you upgraded, book together.
So I am understanding correctly, all or nothing in this case?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
https://www.delta.com/skymiles/about...jsp##companion

Companion upgrades must be requested. If you and your companion are in the same reservation you can request your companion upgrade at delta.com. Otherwise, requests must be made over the phone with Reservations or at the airport.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:23 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Booked in same PNR: Your upgrade as an FO will only clear if there is sufficient V inventory at the T-24 hour mark for both you and your companion. So there would need to be two seats at 24 hours prior in V. Otherwise you'd both be on the battlefield list.

Booked in different PNRs: Your FO upgrade would clear when they run the normal EUAs, usually about 36-48 hours out as an FO depending. Even if there was only one V seat, you'd get it. Then your companion would be eligible on their own PNR to be upgraded at the 24 hour window if V inventory existed.

Final notes: Lately, DL res has been flagging the companions (in their own separate PNR) as "eligible for upgrade" so presumably it is auto processed at T-24 if V space is available. I was able to request this in advance (by phone with GM desk) on three reservations lately. In all three cases, I got upgraded as a GM, no upgrade for companion as there was no space at T-24.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:15 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Delta Plat, National Executive
When I split my PNR during the summer, my companion lost her free baggage allowance. It increased my chances of a single upgrade, (we both got the upgrade) but lost baggage benefit.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:18 am
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by JayRich
When I split my PNR during the summer, my companion lost her free baggage allowance. It increased my chances of a single upgrade, (we both got the upgrade) but lost baggage benefit.
Unless you had two checked bags for yourself, you could have cheked her bag under your name.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold
Originally Posted by SamuelS
Final notes: Lately, DL res has been flagging the companions (in their own separate PNR) as "eligible for upgrade" so presumably it is auto processed at T-24 if V space is available. I was able to request this in advance (by phone with GM desk) on three reservations lately. In all three cases, I got upgraded as a GM, no upgrade for companion as there was no space at T-24.
That has been my experience. My companion cleared about 36 hours in advance over the holidays, sometime between the FO window and the 24 hours stated on the website. It seemed unusual because the "you've been upgraded" email came in the middle of the night, not at the usual 6pm EST. But maybe V became available overnight, although these flights were the first with empty F seats I had seen all year.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:30 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Over Thanksgiving I had companion upgrade clear on RSW-DTW sometime before the marketed 24 hour frame - I would say it was more like 36 hours.

We were in separate PRN's - Mine cleared earlier at the T6 window.

I just called Delta and they added my companion to the upgrade list with no problems. It even said it her reservation "upgrade requested" as it does for all other medallions.

So, my advice is split them, unless you really need to sit together.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: UA Explorer card, AA Plat, Copa Plat, IHG Plat,
Lowly FO & companion both upgraded 1-1-11 at 48hrs

[QUOTE=A4K;15595695]Over Thanksgiving I had companion upgrade clear on RSW-DTW sometime before the marketed 24 hour frame - I would say it was more like 36 hours.

I guess there were no medallions flying on new years day but both of our upgraded cleared at the 48 hr or before mark

Last edited by rrohio; Jan 6, 2011 at 8:35 am Reason: forgot
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Realistically, you may never see a companion upgrade.

Delta's official policy is that:

As you may be aware, prior to the merger with
Northwest Airlines, the WorldPerks program did offer to select elite
members the ability for them to take along a companion and upgrade them
complimentarily into first class with the same clearance window as the
elite. In the SkyMiles program, this was not the case. The companions
were allowed to be upgraded but after all other elites were upgraded
first.

Please know we struggled back and forth on this particular benefit
because one way or the other we were required to align it. In the end,
we simply asked some of our elite members their opinions and we went
with the majority--in this case, the very strong majority. About 95% of
elite members generally travel without a companion, and in almost every
one of those situations, they emphatically stated that they did not want
another elite’s companion bumping them out of a first class seat, that
they felt they had earned. On the contrary, only about 5% of the
members felt differently.

In the end, we decided to take the SkyMiles policy. This is not because
we were trying to devalue our medallion program, not trying to
disenfranchise customers, and not for any financial motive. Instead, it
was simply because that is what 95%+ of our combined customers wanted.
I was pretty pissy about that, considering I was a defector from US Airways (where my companion cleared at my level at the same time... for Platinum or Chairmans, it was pretty good ), but the email clarified it and was worth 7500 bonus miles ^

I mostly travel by myself, but have booked with my girlfriend in the same PNR multiple times. Each time, I get upgraded, but the girlfriend is placed on the upgrade list with the lowest priority -- she's literally the last to clear. I end up having to call reservations and decline upgrade or decline it at the gate if I win the lottery.

It's still worth a shot... on my return trip on the Sunday after Thanksgiving, we both were upgraded on both legs of the flight... but don't get your hopes up.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Another question about companion upgrades is what happens after T-25, i.e., on the battlefield. I have asked this of a DL reservations agent and they could not find the correct policy. Here's my interpretation, based on several recent experiences. whether or not the Elite and companion on on separate PNRs or not, the upgrades get put onto the waitlist separately. The elite takes their normal position, and the companion goes to the bottom. What I do not have any idea about is how the companions are ranked on the upgrade list.

One problem I have with this system, is when the Elite and the companion do not want to be separated, there is no automated way to indicate that. If I purposely book myself (Elite) and my companion on the same PNR, i would like to know that it is all or none, even up to boarding time. I had an incident this week where I was told by the GA that my upgrade would not clear and then at the BP reader it cleared, leaving my companion alone. I gave up the upgrade, but my set had already been reassigned so we had to wait for the harried GA to reassign both of us. Not an efficient system, IMHO.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:59 am
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by redii
Realistically, you may never see a companion upgrade.

Delta's official policy is that:

I was pretty pissy about that, considering I was a defector from US Airways (where my companion cleared at my level at the same time... for Platinum or Chairmans, it was pretty good ), but the email clarified it and was worth 7500 bonus miles ^

I mostly travel by myself, but have booked with my girlfriend in the same PNR multiple times. Each time, I get upgraded, but the girlfriend is placed on the upgrade list with the lowest priority -- she's literally the last to clear. I end up having to call reservations and decline upgrade or decline it at the gate if I win the lottery.

It's still worth a shot... on my return trip on the Sunday after Thanksgiving, we both were upgraded on both legs of the flight... but don't get your hopes up.

Sorry, but 5% "pissed" is better than 95% "pissed" (and I would have been part of the 95%). That said, my ex-companion was often upgraded out of NYC. It just depends on the route, day, and time of day. Sometimes he sat in the back, while a more deserving medallion sat up front. That's how I believe it should be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.