Search

Questions on DL 17

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Questions on DL 17

Greetings,

After a couple of years of lurking I finally have need of some assistance from my fellow Delta passengers. I blew through some miles and am flying myself and the GF to Sydney next week in Business Elite. A couple of questions as I never fly Transpac out of LAX...

1. I'll already be in LAX on business so will be checking in there. On the return I'll be transiting through LAX on the way to my home airport of GSP. I would love to dump a bag of work clothes and equipment in a locker or with a vendor while I am away. Any suggestions or am I stuck hauling everything to Australia? (DL 16 to Atlanta on the return, although I imagine I'll need to clear customs at LAX). I may end up having to just ship it.

2. My girlfriend will be originating in ATL on DL 17 to meet me in LA. There is obviously an equipment change at LAX - any worries about the layover? How is customs handled in LAX outbound? I will be a single man if I leave without her! Trip date is 1/14.

Thanks for the comments. My 125K miles are all BIS domestic so I appreciate any comments on making the experience easier on our big trip.

Tech
Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:06 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Welcome to FlyerTalk and the Delta SkyMiles forum TechDirector.

I have not used baggage storage at an airport, however, doing a quick search for baggage storage at LAX I found this company.

IIRC, other than presenting your passport at the LAX ticket counter and or gate, there is no US Customs. You will have to clear Australian customs and may want to peruse the related forum .

Good luck, travel safe and enjoy.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by TechDirector
Greetings,
1. I'll already be in LAX on business so will be checking in there. On the return I'll be transiting through LAX on the way to my home airport of GSP. I would love to dump a bag of work clothes and equipment in a locker or with a vendor while I am away. Any suggestions or am I stuck hauling everything to Australia? (DL 16 to Atlanta on the return, although I imagine I'll need to clear customs at LAX). I may end up having to just ship it.

2. My girlfriend will be originating in ATL on DL 17 to meet me in LA. There is obviously an equipment change at LAX - any worries about the layover? How is customs handled in LAX outbound? I will be a single man if I leave without her! Trip date is 1/14.
Tech
1. For luggage storage, I think they closed the left-luggage services at LAX. There is at least one off-airport option.
http://laxluggagestorage.com/

2. I wouldn't worry about the layover as it's the same flight number and a great number of pax on ATL-LAX 17 will be traveling on LAX-SYD 17. If there's a modest delay for the first leg, they will likely hold the 2nd. No promises though.

No customs when leaving the US. It's like taking a domestic flight except you'll need your passports handy.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:49 pm

Programs: Former PM now a kettle :(
Just use Fedex (or UPS) and ship your extra bag back home via GROUND/HOME DELIVERY to your place or a friends place for about $20-40 (depending on the weight and insurance) and not worry about it. Probably about the same cost as storage but you don't have to worry about going to drop it off or go get it.

Last time I was in Australia, you could get an online/electronic visa application thingy (sorry it's been a few years ) for stays under 30 days.

At LAX/SFO all we ever had to do (coming from MSP) is show a passport and boarding pass.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

All,

Thanks for the replies. I was concerned about the ability to get to and from the baggage service with a connection and am uncomfortable with the off airport service. I was hoping there were some lockers I didn't know about but those are hard to find in US airports these days. I think I will just ship it - would be bad to miss my connection to ATL after being on the road for three weeks...

Appreciate the info on customs...I didn't recall any last time I left the US but I hardly ever travel oversees. I have read the forums on what to expect in Sydney and left several hours before our domestic flight to Adelaide.

Already have our electronic visas as well, now that would have been embarrassing.

Thanks again for the help.

TD
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:27 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM; Marriott Titanium
Last time I was in T5 at LAX, I couldn't find the lockers and I asked someone. They said they had all been removed after 9/11. I'm not sure if that's correct, since they have them at other airports, but I sure could not find them a few months ago.

Perhaps with the remodeling they were removed temporarily?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can probably ask your LA business hotel to store a bag or a box if you'll be returning there within about the next month.

Outbound there's no US passport control or customs, but the airline checks your passport or visa because it can be costly to them if a country refuses to admit you.

On the return to the US, you go through immigration (passport control), claim your checked bags, go through customs, and then immediately leave your checked bags at the bag drop just outside of the customs hall. Then there's TSA security; this assumes that you have your connecting boarding passes already, otherwise at most airports you must visit a transfer desk for the next boarding pass first.

Unlike the opinions of others here, I would worry about the aircraft change at LAX. When the route started, there were many reports of folks missing the TPAC flight even though they arrived at LAX under the same flight number. DL does not generally hold the flight in these circumstances. In this case, you would be more-or-less forced to continue to SYD while your SO would normally be put on the next day's flight. It won't help much, but you should be sure to link the PNRs.

Similarly, on the return to the US, the scheduled time in LAX might not be enough to realistically clear customs and get to the gate before the door closes.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:21 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've been on the ATL-LAX part of the flight that made it in late and they sent the LAX-SYD ship out on time, screwing over the connecting passengers. I've seen a few posts on here about this happening multiple times, though I haven't seen one in the last 30 days or so.

If there's any lengthly delays you could be separated. Be VERY careful with this one and consider a possible change of flight time to an earlier flight over from ATL-LAX if you MUST fly with the girlfriend.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 8:19 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
Is Delta Doing Iceland?

Sorry, accidentally put this in a thread. OOps
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
When did they stop running DL16 & 17 from ATL on the 777LR? We flew DL16 back from LAX to ATL on the 777LR in July 2009 in BE...great plane.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some days now there's a 777LR ATL-DTW which apparently becomes the DTW-HKG flight. (I don't think DTW-PVG is currently operated with a LR, just a regular (767-like) 777 without flat beds.)
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some days now there's a 777LR ATL-DTW which apparently becomes the DTW-HKG flight.
Yup...I am on it to HKG and to LAX often.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Appreciate all the feedback. We may put her on an earlier flight just to be safe. She is trying to work the first part of the day - I need to just get her on vacation!

Thanks for the tip on the hotel. I am at the Hilton or Marriott LAX all the time, but oddly enough this time I am coming into LAX via car that morning, doing meetings, and heading out. Going to ship my equipment bag and bicycle back home instead of worrying about it.

Looking forward to a nice warm vacation...
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by jtrue28
When did they stop running DL16 & 17 from ATL on the 777LR?
Over 9 months ago...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.