Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Does the Companion Ticket purchase still require an AMEX credit card?
yes, but any amex card work. Jusy last week i tried to use a visa card but received an error message. Then used amex green card and transaction went through.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Does the Companion Ticket purchase still require an AMEX credit card?
For any additional amount due, yes. (It is an Amex promotion, so they are trying to make some money). They do allow you to use credits now.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 12:31 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by mkt80
yes, but any amex card work. Jusy last week i tried to use a visa card but received an error message. Then used amex green card and transaction went through.
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
For any additional amount due, yes. (It is an Amex promotion, so they are trying to make some money). They do allow you to use credits now.
Thanks, I thought so but couldn't find it in the documentation.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Bkboom123
If you don’t mind me asking, what are the flight times? Call me a simpleton, but I don’t exactly think it’s a great value to have a 6am flight to LAX on the way out and a red eye on the way back.

It’s well documented that we get absolutely screwed on price in ATL, but I find it near impossible to utilize the companion pass effectively. I travel weekly for work, so it’s very difficult to book a flight 90-days out or whatever it is that’s required to utilize a companion pass.
11:00AM on a Friday going (767), 1PM on a Saturday returning (757).
Old Sep 20, 2022, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bkboom123
If you don’t mind me asking, what are the flight times? Call me a simpleton, but I don’t exactly think it’s a great value to have a 6am flight to LAX on the way out and a red eye on the way back.

It’s well documented that we get absolutely screwed on price in ATL, but I find it near impossible to utilize the companion pass effectively. I travel weekly for work, so it’s very difficult to book a flight 90-days out or whatever it is that’s required to utilize a companion pass.
There's no such 90-day requirement (you are thinking about low-level D1 Skymiles awards). Coach requires LUTXV availability with L fares typically requiring a 7 day advance purchase (if you want cheaper fares, the cheapest V fares generally require a 21-day advance purchase). FC requires IZ availability. While cheapest Z fares generally require a 21-day advance purchase, there are usually published I fares with no advance purchase requirement. Availability has more to do with popularity of flights (and hence DL limiting lower fare bucket inventory availability on the popular flights) than advance purchase. Midweek and Saturday flights will generally be less popular than other days, but that kind of goes out the window around holiday periods.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 21, 2022 at 7:56 pm
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I haven't given the Companion Cert away in a while. It used to be that I had to book the ticket while logged in to my DL account. Now the Companion Cert states 'Fully Transferrable'.

Can I just give someone the Certificate Number and they can book it themselves?

I tried booking a trip using my wife's account and 'gave' her the Certificate number. The Certificate wasn't recognized. It then gave me the option of using a Saved Companion's Account and required that I enter the Saved Companions password. It then gave her access to ALL of my Certificates, credits, GUCs, RUCs, etc.

Obviously, there's no way I'm going to give this access to someone I just want to give the CC to.

Way ti go DL IT!!
AeRoSpaceman likes this.

Last edited by SuperG1955; Sep 21, 2022 at 7:00 pm Reason: Added information
Old Sep 21, 2022, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Believe it's always been transferable (you don't have to be one of the passengers on res), but has also always required it be booked from your own account -- How to transfer a companion cert?
Most likely to reduce cases of people trying to resell them online.
Mr. Tickets likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:56 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by xliioper
Believe it's always been transferable (you don't have to be one of the passengers on res), but has also always required it be booked from your own account -- How to transfer a companion cert?
Most likely to reduce cases of people trying to resell them online.
Yeah- having to book from your own account and pay with your own card really increases the odds they’re being used by actual friends and family and not in a way that violates T&Cs.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by beachmouse
Yeah- having to book from your own account and pay with your own card really increases the odds they’re being used by actual friends and family and not in a way that violates T&Cs.
In the past I've booked from my account and they've paid with their AMEX card. That's still an OK way to do it.
Mr. Tickets likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachmouse
Never claimed it will eliminate online resales. But it does create an additional hassle factor (compared to a simple 006 cert + redemption code, for example) when you have to charge ticket to your own card or require a stranger provide their card number to you.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 1:54 pm

My apologies if this is not the proper place for this (in which case, mods please move?):

I have THREE Platinum (coach tickets- LUTXV fares) certs I will not use and they expire 1/31/23
And ONE Reserve (coach, comfort + and First - LUTXVIZ fares) certificate that I will not use and it also expires on 1/31/23 (I had to change my Sept trip due to COVID so now I end up with an extra one I'm not going to be able to use).

I'd hate for these to go to waste, but wouldn't be the first time.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 9:55 am

Can I use credits, companion and RUCs on same flights?

January 31, 2023 is coming soon and I have $500 in flight credits a few companion certs and several RUCs that will expire then. Might take an extra trip this year to use some of them up. Does anyone know if these can be combined on one trip? I had thought I heard Delta will not allow use of credits if booking a companion fare. Is this true? What about RUCs? Any advice? I bet there's many Medallions looking at this "problem".
Old Sep 25, 2022, 10:11 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by pfreet
January 31, 2023 is coming soon and I have $500 in flight credits a few companion certs and several RUCs that will expire then. Might take an extra trip this year to use some of them up. Does anyone know if these can be combined on one trip? I had thought I heard Delta will not allow use of credits if booking a companion fare. Is this true? What about RUCs? Any advice? I bet there's many Medallions looking at this "problem".
Yes to both.

It became possible to use eCredits in conjunction with the companion cert around November last year.

RUCs + companion cert is also allowed now (I forget exactly when but I think longer than the change to allow eCredits)

EDIT: wow, I would not have guessed as long ago as 2017: Can a RUC be applied to DL Amex Companion Certificate ticket? (post 6 update)
Old Sep 25, 2022, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They added ability to use eCredits with companion certs awhile ago. Yes, RUCs can also be used on Companion certs. They can also be used for other members of your party even if booked on a separate companion cert from you as long as they are on same flights. Recently used one companion cert on spouse and one child and used RUCs to upgrade them and have myself and other child on another companion cert and will try luck with comp upgrades on flights (flying out on Christmas Day).

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 25, 2022 at 10:24 am
Old Oct 1, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Got 2 expiring in January. Any way to extend them or is there simply no leniency these days?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.