Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This Is How Much I Hate the 747...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:30 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by LBJ
Doing JFK-NRT on Thurs in seats 35H,J. I find even AVOD starts to get old on long flights and will pick good seats over AVOD if I have to make the choice.
I'm starting to agree about the meh of AVOD for VFFs. On my maiden 77L voyage, with the uber-deep selection, I concluded I'd already seen everything I'd wanted to see. (It's uber-deep because they don't expire movies as quickly as on the older system.)

I ended up watching Babies while eating dinner. That was weird.

On a recent 75E transcon, I just watched the map. Admittedly, that has always been my favorite channel. Unfortunately, DL no longer loads the foreign films on these planes.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by RealHJ
It's a matter of personal preference.
Very true.

Personally, I can sleep very well in the 747s and A330s "Minbari-style beds," but can't in the super uncomfrotable ones in 777s "flat-bed" BE (they are too short, and the head rest portion is so narrow that can't support head or pillow well, and also narrow at the other end for the feet also - really hard to sleep on those due to the odd and un-ergonomically designed shape of seat that only works for below average height people, if anyone, but certainly not for me (5'11"); IMO that poor design is just a lot of waste of space).
I'm 6'4" and didn't feel the least bit cramped in the beds on the 777LR.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by andrewpartyman
I am happy with my routing. Just I can't stand the 747 with no AVOD. It makes for a very long DTW-NRT flight. After the 747, the 767-300 with no AVOD is my next least favorite plane. Try sitting on there from AMM-JFK when you take off at 1:20 a.m. for 12 hours. Rough.

You would never have survived several years ago when there was no AVOD.... that's why there are things like books, ipods, laptops, etc.... i have taken numerous flights without AVOD on the 747 (MSP - NRT) and lived to tell about it... yes, annoying, but it is not the end of the world....
Old Nov 2, 2010, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ecaarch
Very true.

I'm 6'4" and didn't feel the least bit cramped in the beds on the 777LR.
+1 - 6'3" and no issues at all with the 777LR flat beds.

The 767-400 lie flat beds are more cramped - they worked for me but I was using every inch of length of the bed, so anyone taller than me would likely have to bend their legs to fit. In comparison the 777LR has lots of extra room - surprised anyone would complain, I think the seats are great...
Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:16 pm

Programs: SM-GM ~ PC-PM ~ HGP-PM ~ SPG-GM
an ipod/pad/phone will fix this problem you can load hours, and hours, and hours, and hours of entertainment/shows/movies/games that you actually like.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
You could also fly DTW-PVG nonstop on a 77L.
Unfortunately only on a few days. Most days it's 777ER service, which still isn't the 747 that the OP hates so much.

I like the 747 in BE almost as much as the 330 in BE, although my favorite is the 777LR. I hate the 767s, of which DL owns far too many.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 7:20 pm

I love the 747s when I'm flying in J though...Y sucks big time...
Old Nov 2, 2010, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by username_unknown
an ipod/pad/phone will fix this problem you can load hours, and hours, and hours, and hours of entertainment/shows/movies/games that you actually like.
Exactly what I do.

Stepping on a 15 hour flight and pushing all-in on the functionality of DL's AVOD is not a bet I'll ever make!
Old Nov 2, 2010, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
It's a matter of personal preference.

Personally, I can sleep very well in the 747s and A330s "Minbari-style beds," but can't in the super uncomfrotable ones in 777s "flat-bed" BE (they are too short, and the head rest portion is so narrow that can't support head or pillow well, and also narrow at the other end for the feet also - really hard to sleep on those due to the odd and un-ergonomically designed shape of seat that only works for below average height people, if anyone, but certainly not for me (5'11"); IMO that poor design is just a lot of waste of space).
i'm 5'11", 175 and found the 777LR to be extremely comfortable in BE. no problem with headroom at all. And I'm a side-sleeper and found it very comfortable. No side-sleeping on the stupid Mimbari-beds (well, no sleeping at all actually - you spend your entire time pushing back up against the foot bar).
Old Nov 2, 2010, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, United GS, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by BenA
+1 - 6'3" and no issues at all with the 777LR flat beds.

The 767-400 lie flat beds are more cramped - they worked for me but I was using every inch of length of the bed, so anyone taller than me would likely have to bend their legs to fit. In comparison the 777LR has lots of extra room - surprised anyone would complain, I think the seats are great...
If you look at who's complaining you won't be surprised anymore.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by jimrpa
i'm 5'11", 175 and found the 777LR to be extremely comfortable in BE. no problem with headroom at all. And I'm a side-sleeper and found it very comfortable. No side-sleeping on the stupid Mimbari-beds (well, no sleeping at all actually - you spend your entire time pushing back up against the foot bar).
There is a trick that works like a charm. You just have to position the seat belt in a certain way (think sitting on a hammock). May sound crazy but for years I slept like a baby on those NW seats with that trick. Honestly, I love the 777LR but I find the A330 and 747 WBC style seats a close second.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:04 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by avidflyer
There is a trick that works like a charm. You just have to position the seat belt in a certain way (think sitting on a hammock). May sound crazy but for years I slept like a baby on those NW seats with that trick.
Another trick that worked for me was to place a blanket under my legs, elevating them.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by avidflyer
There is a trick that works like a charm. You just have to position the seat belt in a certain way (think sitting on a hammock). May sound crazy but for years I slept like a baby on those NW seats with that trick. Honestly, I love the 777LR but I find the A330 and 747 WBC style seats a close second.
OMG wish I had thought of that. Toddler Cellisttoo kept sliding down in her seat. The FAs woke me up when her seat belt became wrapped around her neck. I guess the only disadvantage would be that should there be horrible turbulence the seat belt wouldn't work very well. However, I can't see that having it wrapped around someone's neck would be very safe either. I detest the angled lay flat seats. The only way I can fall asleep is to visualize the poor people stuck in economy (lately, that is me, but that is another story). Makes me relax enough to fall asleep.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
It was mentioned at the DL DO that all the 747s would be getting avod shortly! I always travel with an ipod, but Toddler Cellisttoo gets to pick the movies, and I can only watch Backyardagains so many times. I also invested in an external battery just for the 747 where there are no power outlets either in Y.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 11:11 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Odd, for me as a side sleeper no problem on the A330s or 747s BE (WBC).

777 was just a one-time flight (SIN-NRT), so that is based on a one-time experience. I just found it odd why make the head portion of the seat so much more narrow than the rest. Still of course it's better than the plain awful 767s, with very narrow seats, so your pillow is always either hitting person next to you or sticking into the aisle, either way not good. (IMO DL should have a smaller pillow version for the awful 767s 1980's style BE seats.)

Back to A330s and 747s BE, for me the trick is to put the foot rest at the right height (don't have it go all the way down), so that the tips of toes are touching it, thus making it unlikely that you will slip down. That, and of course don't wear "slippery" clothing.

For me still, in the DL fleet nothing beats the 747 upper deck in BE. I never sit window except there: love the roomy side storage compartments (perfect for pillow, blanket while don't need it, and pocket contents while sleeping - which I've learned to empty after once my phone fell through the big gap in the seat while sleeping and it took quite a while for me and the pax behind to fish it out form under the seat shell).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.