Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Chances: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat
PM MSP --> LAS on a saturday.

What are A. My chances and B. Chances for my non-status companions on a low-end fare?

Thanks!

Last edited by Digital01; Jan 16, 2012 at 5:07 pm
Old Jan 16, 2012, 5:02 pm

Saturday AM (10 AM) if it matters.

oh oops! on an MD90
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
On a Sat probably pretty good, even though that gets weekend travelers to Vegas.
Pretty much most LAS routes are fairly good for upgrades unless you're traveling when there is a convention in town.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
On a Sat probably pretty good, even though that gets weekend travelers to Vegas.
Pretty much most LAS routes are fairly good for upgrades unless you're traveling when there is a convention in town.
^. Kinda what I figured, thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
JFK-ATL on the 6:50 PM 767-300 flight (DL 73) on Sunday March 18th. Any chance at the upgrade to the BE cabin for a FO on a T Fare?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by CMK10
JFK-ATL on the 6:50 PM 767-300 flight (DL 73) on Sunday March 18th. Any chance at the upgrade to the BE cabin for a FO on a T Fare?
Most likely. I never missed an upgrade as a Gold and there was plenty of availability left. They almost always sold upgrades at the gate! Good luck and enjoy it, it's a nice ride, with a semi decent dinner and pretty good seats for such a short flight (it's the the TATL BE, although not the refurbished one)
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Looking good so far for my SFO-JFK upgrade on the 6:30am flight (DL1210). It's t-minus 10 hours and I"m 5 of 8 on the upgrade list with 9 seats available. Overall a very empty flight with 89 coach and 9 BE seats left. I'm relatively new to frequent travel, and this is my first year as an elite. Very excited to (hopefully) get an UG to the bizelite product on such an early flight. Being so early, though, I wonder if there will be much of a meal? Will it be breakfast and snack? Or breakfast and lunch?

By the way, I am gold if people are looking at data points.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by roknroll
Looking good so far for my SFO-JFK upgrade on the 6:30am flight (DL1210). It's t-minus 10 hours and I"m 5 of 8 on the upgrade list with 9 seats available. Overall a very empty flight with 89 coach and 9 BE seats left. I'm relatively new to frequent travel, and this is my first year as an elite. Very excited to (hopefully) get an UG to the bizelite product on such an early flight. Being so early, though, I wonder if there will be much of a meal? Will it be breakfast and snack? Or breakfast and lunch?

Too early

As more people check in, you might go from 5 of 8, to 9 of 20.

However, with mid week, you stand the best odds you can get.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by johndoe123
Too early

You think so, with 89 coach seats available and 9 BE? If the flight were more full, I wouldn't be as optimistic. But with such a small pool of people, it would have to be an extremely medallion heavy flight for it to move drastically.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:39 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by johndoe123
Too early

Agree. Last minute paid sales, higher elites SDC'ing for the upgrade, higher elite's not checked in yet, etc. There is no real picture of your chances right now, you'll get a much better(and likely different) picture under T-3.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:48 pm

LAX-BOS

Currently scheduled to go LAX-JFK-BOS on Thursday morning. I'm waitlisted with a SWU currently for LAX-JFK; upgraded to G on JFK-BOS. I've already flown SFO-JFK in J once, so I have the experience. What are people's thoughts on SDCing to the 77L or A330 going to ATL? Would it be worth trying to get flatbeds, and would I stand a reasonable shot at the upgrades?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:57 pm

You think so, with 89 coach seats available and 9 BE? If the flight were more full, I wouldn't be as optimistic. But with such a small pool of people, it would have to be an extremely medallion heavy flight for it to move drastically.
Just be aware, that the upgrade priority/list does not list people who's priority are ahead of you, but have not yet checked in.

I'd say you have a reasonable chance, but this flight is a hard one to predict because of what it is.

Sleep it off, check in the morning. A few hours before departure, if you are still at 70% or better on the list, you should be ok, but you never know. Otherwise it's a crap shoot that'll depend on later arrivals, check ins, same day confirms, and irregular operations.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:58 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Currently scheduled to go LAX-JFK-BOS on Thursday morning. I'm waitlisted with a SWU currently for LAX-JFK; upgraded to G on JFK-BOS. I've already flown SFO-JFK in J once, so I have the experience. What are people's thoughts on SDCing to the 77L or A330 going to ATL? Would it be worth trying to get flatbeds, and would I stand a reasonable shot at the upgrades?
You should be #1 on any upgrade list with the SWU attached. Doubt there will be anyone else on the same flights trying to use one.

To add, your chances would be higher as there are many more BE seats on the two aircraft you list than the 757 on the LAX/JFK route. Also I don't believe the a330 has flatbeds?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by mlad1101
You should be #1 on any upgrade list with the SWU attached. Doubt there will be anyone else on the same flights trying to use one.

To add, your chances would be higher as there are many more BE seats on the two aircraft you list than the 757 on the LAX/JFK route. Also I don't believe the a330 has flatbeds?
I should have stated more clearly. I know the 77L has the flat beds. I've also been on 744s and 333s with the WBC-style BE seats. It comes down to whether I want the flat beds of the 77L, or the upgraded service of the LAX-JFK flight. Given the two other options, I probably wouldn't go for the 332. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:06 am

Cleared the UG, but I had the last seat. Was 9/16 with 9 seats left when I woke up. At the gate they cleared everyone except me, and once the FC cabin was boarded they cleared mine. I really wasn't expecting to get it anymore, so it's a nice bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.