Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Chances: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:05 pm

Being DM has made a radical difference. I usually fly MLB/MCO-ATL+/-XXX and have been upgraded 67/68 segments so far this year. The one miss was ATL-SFO.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by dcline414
Most ATL flights to hubs and major cities don't clear any complementary upgrades before the gate, or at least not at the upgrade windows.
What is your evidence of this? Most of mine do.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I'm at 27% as a PM out of SLC for 2012, and the routes I've been upgraded on were crap routes at weird times. I think I did better as a GM in 2011. Friday I was #15 for 2 seats on SLC-MCO. PM is worthless over GM for me and I'm frustrated upgrades are so rare these days. Flew Southwest earlier in the week. Great legroom throughout the plane, got a free cocktail, flight attendants were incredibly pleasant. Made me wonder about my loyalty to DL.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL DM
Hells bells. Yet, there are 13 available for purchase. If they refused to SELL them to you, then you would have a valid complaint.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Hells bells. Yet, there are 13 available for purchase. If they refused to SELL them to you, then you would have a valid complaint.
Really? Because it seems like two separate complaints.

1. What is my DM status getting me? I thought loyalty was a two way street. Donald Sutherland told me so in dulcet tones.
vs.
2. Delta has empty seats it won't sell me.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
I wish DL would do away with advance upgrades and strictly do it at the gate. Just my 2 cents.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by zsmith2
I wish DL would do away with advance upgrades and strictly do it at the gate. Just my 2 cents.
I agree as long as there's enough time to grab a bite at the airport if I know I didn't get the upgrade. I don't mind airplane food, really, and some food choices just don't travel well.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL: Gold
Whoever had the idea of the consolidated complain about no upgrade thread was a genius. These are getting ridiculous.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
+1 - Only takes one group of misconnecting pax in/X ATL to need a reroute through JFK and those seats are needed to pax who actually paid for them. Absolutely no reason why DL ought to release them for freebies in advance. Not as though OP's going to decline the UG at the gate if all goes well.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Disagree, unless the intention is to drive another blade through the heart of upgrades as an elite benefit. All upgrades done at the gate will ultimately mean fewer upgrades for all.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by javabytes
Disagree, unless the intention is to drive another blade through the heart of upgrades as an elite benefit. All upgrades done at the gate will ultimately mean fewer upgrades for all.
Can you please explain the math on this? If there are X number of seats available for UG, how does that change if the seats are given ahead of time or at the gate? Or is the suggestion thatDL should be giving the seats away for free even if they can sell them at market price?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Can you please explain the math on this? If there are X number of seats available for UG, how does that change if the seats are given ahead of time or at the gate? Or is the suggestion thatDL should be giving the seats away for free even if they can sell them at market price?
More time for someone to buy them, including at discounted prices/FCM, more time for them to fill up due to IROPS or VDBs, including being given away to non-status passengers, etc.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL DM
TOTALLY agree. Highest fares within elite ranks should get the upgrade. Period. Many times, low-fare Elites are up front while high-bucket Elites sit in the back due to advanced upgrades.

Keep the posers where they belong, and give the deepest pockets the nicest seats.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by javabytes
More time for someone to buy them, including at discounted prices/FCM, more time for them to fill up due to IROPS or VDBs, including being given away to non-status passengers, etc.
It's not the number of seats available that changes, it's that DL isn't giving them away to you; rather, the seats are being given to others that DL has deemed above you on the priority list or those that have actually paid, making the seat unavailable for UG.

Count me among those that think all UGs should be battleground.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJKatl
It's not the number of seats available that changes, it's that DL isn't giving them away to you; rather, the seats are being given to others that DL has deemed above you on the priority list or those that have actually paid, making the seat unavailable for UG.

Count me among those that think all UGs should be battleground.
Of course the number of seats available changes. Look at FCM routes for your example. Upgrade success tends to be lower - even for top tier elites - when upgrades are all done at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.