Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Award Builder - Allows you to pay to earn bonus miles on trips

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Award Builder - Allows you to pay to earn bonus miles on trips

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2010, 3:14 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; SPG Gold
I just got the same thing. If it were MQMs that would be nice otherwise I don't see the point. Also if you did buy it and didn't take the flight would you get a refund?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
The Latest Twist: "Award Builder"

Hello dlfan2,

We want to help you make the most out of your upcoming flight by giving you the chance to build your mileage balance even faster when you fly. With Award Builder™, you can easily get more miles on your upcoming round-trip Delta flight to quickly increase your mileage balance.

Get an extra 1,000 to 3,000 miles on your flight for as little as $28 (for 1,000 miles). The choice is yours but don't wait. This is the perfect way to get even more miles when you fly so that you can pack your bags for your next Award vacation even sooner.

Make your Award Builder purchase before the beginning of your upcoming round-trip Delta flight to get more miles.

Any Takers?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Hm-- $28 for 1000 miles. So, some quick math:
For that 375,000 mile ticket to Sydney, that's $10500.

No thanks Delta!!!
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:17 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
I just got this as well. Seems a little pricey to me. I think I'll pass.....
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Same as buying miles the regular way except with no processing fee. I can see how it would be useful to the non-frequent flyer if your next flight will put you 1,000 miles away from an award and you want to pay the $28 to get there quickly and redeem the award, but otherwise it is the same overpriced offering.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
This is nothing new and has been around for months.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I got a good break on my last TLV-LAS award ticket -- low one way and medium the other. Total cost: 175,000 SkyMiles for Biz Elite.

Assuming that I would be that lucky again the in the future, if I were to buy enough "Award Builder" SkyMiles to pay for the trip, it would cost me $4900.

Guess what? In either M Class (upgrading with SkyMiles) or I Class (no upgrading needed), I can make the Biz Elite trip for a lot less than $4900, not have to worry about availability, and get both MQMs and SkyMiles for the trip.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Dovster
In either M Class (upgrading with SkyMiles)
You do have to check for upgrade availability... and you have to worry about your flight being cancelled, leaving you with a refund of your miles but still holding a pricey M fare and traveling in coach.

If you can get a discounted biz fare, then sure.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by javabytes
You do have to check for upgrade availability... and you have to worry about your flight being cancelled, leaving you with a refund of your miles but still holding a pricey M fare and traveling in coach.

If you can get a discounted biz fare, then sure.
TLV-ATL flights are almost never cancelled. At most, they are delayed for a day (and then only when the weather in ATL makes the flight impossible).

These flights go out between 75% to 100% full, and there are only (I believe) four each week, so Delta can not simply take the passengers from one flight and put them on a later one -- there would be no room for them.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:08 pm

Programs: A few
I have seen other airlines (CO, AA) offer this. Seems a direct copy. Easy way to raise cash from the financially illiterate.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:08 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Been around a while.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by GBadger
Hm-- $28 for 1000 miles. So, some quick math:
For that 375,000 mile ticket to Sydney, that's $10500.

No thanks Delta!!!
Or a low coach award at $700. No thanks.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Or a low coach award at $700. No thanks.
Just to clarify -- This statement is for low coach domestic, not to Sydney. (which I'm certain BusTrav8yrs is aware of, but just want to make sure others don't get confused between the comment and the quote).
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
This has been reported to work with the regular platinum amex annual $200 airline fee rebate. Some FTers may find that this is a good use of the rebate.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Dovster
I got a good break on my last TLV-LAS award ticket -- low one way and medium the other. Total cost: 175,000 SkyMiles for Biz Elite.
sorry to pick on your example....

but 175,000 to TLV is a "good break"

I guess when you are using SkyPesos it is.

The award would be 115,000 with Star Alliance, and there is nearly daily availability in C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.