Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Award Builder - Allows you to pay to earn bonus miles on trips

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Award Builder - Allows you to pay to earn bonus miles on trips

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2011, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by javabytes
Same as buying miles the regular way except with no processing fee. I can see how it would be useful to the non-frequent flyer if your next flight will put you 1,000 miles away from an award and you want to pay the $28 to get there quickly and redeem the award, but otherwise it is the same overpriced offering.
Then you find that the 25,000 mile award you have been working towards is now 40,000 miles.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
No MQMs, no care.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: NW Diamond, LH SEN, PC Spire - RA, TG PlatHyatt Diamond
Why would anybody go for this Award Builder??
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:58 am

How about a comparable Delta Award Spender program that will help me get rid of the miles I have. I would be happy to sell them back to DL at the same rate it wants to sell them to me.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by mhbaker
How about a comparable Delta Award Spender program that will help me get rid of the miles I have. I would be happy to sell them back to DL at the same rate it wants to sell them to me.
Wow. Notify the press. I'm sure DL is ready to jump on that offer.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
... Easy way to raise cash from the financially illiterate.
You have just described "marketing."

Especially as it is applied in the airline industry.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by spunk_tokyo
Why would anybody go for this Award Builder??
Because many people are clueless at math and simply do not realize how bad the rate is.

Same people who buy all those $5 a month extras on services w/o even thinking; because it is just $5.

Same people who buy extended warrentes on electronics that they will likely replace in a couple years anyway.

Seriously, there is a large subset of the modern consumer that is really clueless.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 6:40 pm

Programs: - DL DM, HH Gold
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Because many people are clueless at math and simply do not realize how bad the rate is.

Same people who buy all those $5 a month extras on services w/o even thinking; because it is just $5.

Same people who buy extended warrentes on electronics that they will likely replace in a couple years anyway.

Seriously, there is a large subset of the modern consumer that is really clueless.
To help reassure myself that I am not useless at math..

2,000 bonus for next 3 flights @ $168 is 6,000 miles.

Buying 6,000 miles costs ... er... $168.

So as far as I can see, the only benefit is that you can (if not a FF and who desperately needs to hit an award) is that you can buy miles (for that is all this truly is) in an odd number. Whereas buy miles is in multiples of 2000 only.

There was lots of talk about people being short of an award ticket and it being helpful ... the question to which I would please like a short answer is this:

Why is it any more helpful than the regular "buy miles" when they cost the same?? The only answer is flexibility in the exact amount of miles needed?

I am asking for help (not criticizing previous posts .. not my style ). If I look like an idiot (a possibility ) it is simply because I have NEVER bought miles .. I have a lot of BIS miles and MQMs and use other products where I collect them for free....

(eg needed to spend $300 at homedepot anyway so used amex (gets 1Mp$) to buy a GC from Skymilesshopping when 4 miles were on offer. Cost? 0. Miles = 1600 plus 300 on amex bill at month end).

Please let me know if I have missed an awesome deal to "build" rather than "buy" miles. The prominence of the offer on dl.com suggests I have not.

Advice gratefully received.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
I wonder if the implied target market is really people who would be comfortable billing the ticket cost (including the Miles Builder or whatever it's called) to their expense account / client.

Note that I think this would be unethical, but for those who might be inclined to do this, it renders the relative value of buying miles through this channel vs. the normal buy miles option somewhat irrelevant.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Easy way to raise cash from the financially illiterate.
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
You have just described "marketing."

Especially as it is applied in the airline industry.
Ah the beauty of raw capitalism. If only I didn't feel dirty when I did immoral things I could clean up...
Old Jan 16, 2011, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by PersonalFlotationDevice
I wonder if the implied target market is really people who would be comfortable billing the ticket cost (including the Miles Builder or whatever it's called) to their expense account / client.

Note that I think this would be unethical, but for those who might be inclined to do this, it renders the relative value of buying miles through this channel vs. the normal buy miles option somewhat irrelevant.
Oh my gosh - that is depraved ... I like the way you think.

Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
Ah the beauty of raw capitalism. If only I didn't feel dirty when I did immoral things I could clean up...
And thus confirms the previous post.

Clearly, rather than "Driving Every Loyal Traveller Away", DL is Satan's plaything, corrupting us MilesJunkies with ways to sell our souls for skypesos. Please count me in
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by TATL lawyer
Why is it any more helpful than the regular "buy miles" when they cost the same?? The only answer is flexibility in the exact amount of miles needed?
No $30 transaction fee.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
No $30 transaction fee.
Hello again Javabytes

Oh my gosh. That's IT? In that case it's as much of a waste of time as I thought and it'll be BIS for me - will leave the "builder" to others.

Thanks for the response. ^
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:59 pm

Programs: Delta PM+1MM; Marriott PP; Hertz PC
I read thru the T&C and it seems there may be another difference. If you use Award Builder, and your plans change, they will expire after 12 months. Miles you Buy, don't seem to expire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.