Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

We Were Delta Air Lines Gate Agents for the Morning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We Were Delta Air Lines Gate Agents for the Morning

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2010, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by Canarsie
For example, a gate agent can conveniently view all of the incoming flights of all of the connecting passengers to the flight on which we are currently working, as well as the status of each flight: is it on the ground, in the air, within range of the airport, or already at the gate having already deplaned its passengers?

Flights that have not landed at the airport that are shaded in red indicate the connecting passengers from that flight will definitely not make the connection. Their seats are “busted” within 30 minutes of the flight. Obviously, they cannot be paged.
That screen was very helpful to me at one point earlier this summer when I was standing by for an earlier MSP-LAS flight. Thanks to the diligent work of some, we found that I was going to clear the flight due to some misconnects - which turned out handy as my seatmate on said MSP-LAS flight became a very good friend of mine (and we still talk regularly to this day).
Old Sep 25, 2010, 9:11 pm

Interestingly enough, only one connecting passenger wondered aloud to me why I did not have an official airport badge on me.

Otherwise, nobody — not pilots, flight attendants, passengers or anyone else — even questioned whether or not I was a gate agent for Delta Air Lines. They automatically assumed I was one and treated me as such.
This is actually a little worrying....

So the BIG question...when/how did you actually LEARN to do all the things you've posted about? Gate agents are busy, when did they have time to show you everything?

That was my concern about this event...that the gate agents would get annoyed "baby sitting" a bunch of frequent fliers.

Glad to know the dry run went well!

BTW where did the spiffy tie come from? Was that regulation Delta wear? Should be be bringing ties or will the white shirts be enough?

(This is going to be SO much fun!)
Old Sep 25, 2010, 9:30 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Burj
This is actually a little worrying....

So the BIG question...when/how did you actually LEARN to do all the things you've posted about? Gate agents are busy, when did they have time to show you everything?

That was my concern about this event...that the gate agents would get annoyed "baby sitting" a bunch of frequent fliers.

Glad to know the dry run went well!

BTW where did the spiffy tie come from? Was that regulation Delta wear? Should be be bringing ties or will the white shirts be enough?

(This is going to be SO much fun!)
There really is nothing about which to worry, especially when the gate agent purposely condones it — and even when the gate agent is busy in the Jetway, as long as the passengers are properly assisted and the person acting as a gate agent is confident, friendly and helpful, all is well.

I learned by both observation and asking questions while “on the job.” Gate agents are so adept at multi-tasking that they are more than happy to answer questions and help while simultaneously doing several tasks at once. They also encourage you to try different things, such as assisting passengers and making announcements. If the gate agent that was with me felt like he was “baby-sitting,” that disappeared quickly. Actually, he seemed to feel more like he was being observed, but I said to him that I was there to work, not to observe. It really worked out well!

We furnished our own clothing, including ties and shirts. We we fortunate to choose ties that closely matched the official uniform of gate agents of Delta Air Lines. However, I believe that although a tie is preferred, it is optional.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 9:44 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
I'm glad you had the chance to experience a few hours in the life of a GA. I wish everyone could do the same. It would give everyone a new appreciation of just what GAs have to do and put up with. I know my time in Customer Service (not with an airline) has made me much more tolerant of anyone in CS that I come into contact with now. I've discovered that one has to be a good actor/actress when in Customer Service. No matter how bad a day you are having, you must always put on a good fact to your customers!
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, HHonors Diamond
Well after the drive back from ATL and a long nap followed by some college football (ROLL TIDE!) it is my pleasure to share a few notes from the ACS experience. I will post a more detailed note on the event blog after I get more sleep.

Experience is the the perfect word because none of us can even begin to imagine what all a gate agent has to do board and dispatch a flight. I think we all have taken a quick glance at the gate computers while boarding or waiting for a flight. The amount of typing that a gate agent does amazes me. They are basically programmers constantly working in a terminal window that looks like it should be circa 1970. All the codes are mind boggling especially when you start thinking of all the situations that gate agents are approached with.

My agent was great - she took time to point out items that most people simply don't think of. Ever notice that most agents stand behind the SkyPriority line when a flight arrives? The reason is so that passengers arriving don't swarm the agent and cause congestion in the path of other arriving passengers. When an agent pink tags a stroller or wheelchair they use a ingenious chain and tennis-ball system to notify the below-wing crew that they have items waiting for them in the jetway. It is cheap yet very effective.

Other notes that you might want to be aware of -

Comfy shoes are a must. When flights are backed up there really isn't a time for a break and while you might not notice at that moment you will later.

Grab a bottle of water . Scanning boarding passes and greeting passengers on arriving flights will dry your mouth out quickly.

You will be surprised how many people have never flown before.
Have a good idea of where you are and how to direct passengers to centerpoint to board the trains to the other terminals. Also good to know where the smoking area is as well. People were ready to smoke as soon as they got off the plane.

Don't be afraid to ask the agents questions. In my case the ACS agent was really impressed that customers would take interest in how they do their job. They are happy to pass along knowledge and their take on how things work.

Overall, I had high expectations for this event and everyone of them was met and exceeded. Just as I got semi-good at a lot of the functions it was time to leave. I really hope that everyone that takes part in this event has a great time and gets an eye-opening experience like I did.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Ok... I just read something about ties... Now what about us gals (or dames as I've heard us referenced as)... Don't the female GAs have a read tie or scarf thingee that they wear?

BTW.. I picked up my white shirt at JC Penny's sale last week in the mens dept... It was kind of funny watching the sales clerk measure my neck and arms... He was right.. The shirt fit great...

Ya know.. the more that I read here, the more excited I'm getting as the DO approaches...
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by N639DL
I have wanted to be a DL Station Operations Manager for a while now. Just move down to Florida and work at FLL, that sounds like the life to me. ^

I am so jealous of the folks that did that today...
Really? Wow! I didn't realize know that. Are you working in the morning shift or evening shift? I would likes to meet you in FLL. I would likes to consider work for Ramper or Baggage handling, too. Are you will try to come out at work during afternoon shift. I would consider that I will become fleet manager.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 11:33 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
I happened to come across your posting by chance since I don't usually frequent this forum and wanted to say thanks for sharing this unique experience.

After college I became a gate agent for AA in MIA (different airline but duties were about the same regardless of company) and this brought back memories. Back then in the early 90's, we did not have scanners at the gate so we had to tear off the pax stub from the boarding card and input the seat assignments manually on the computer. Needless to say, the potential for human error was evident because we were under pressure to get the flight out on time and had to type as fast as we could.

Now that I look back I wonder how I managed to do that kind of job. You are right on target about the multi-tasking nature of it and the constant interruption from passengers asking all sorts of questions. Imagine answering the same questions day after day and then you understand why so many customer service agents are burned out. It seems that you had a smooth day on the job. Did you have to chance to deal with irate passengers, irregular ops or elite members challenging why they did not get upgraded? Those situations would have added another dimension to your experience. Thankfully this has never happened to me but in some extreme cases I know of some co-workers who were cursed or physically hit by angry customers. Being a gate agent is one of the most stressful positions at the airport and after two years I left for greener pastures.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 11:45 pm

Thanks for the writings. That sounds very cool.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 1:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Will we be taught the more interesting parts of the job? Examples:

1. How to award SkyMiles and MQMs as compensation. (I would like to take a few moments to throw a bunch into my own FF account.)

2. Getting into the passenger manifest for future flights. (I am thinking about blocking off the seat next to me for my ATL-TLV flight to guarantee that no one can be in it).

3. Changing my status from PM (which is scheduled to drop to FO in February) to Lifetime Diamond.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 5:40 am

Here is one observation I had while I was a gate agent earlier today:

I was incredibly surprised at how many people do not read what is clearly in plain view.

For example, behind me on the podium was a sign in bright red lighted letters containing the flight information, including the destination, and yet people still asked me if they were at the correct gate. Of course, I politely answered their questions with a smile and they were appreciative, but I was stunned at the same time.

When I mentioned my findings to the gate agent, he shook his head and smiled and said that he was not surprised at all, as this happens all of the time, and we had a 15-minute discussion about the different scenarios about how this happens...
We humans are just plain dumb sometime...

I stopped counting the number of times I was asked "What time is the 3pm parade" while I was working at Disneyworld.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 6:58 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I Just Signed up for the Sunday "Walk a Mile"

I am really looking forward to this.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mersk862
Can't believe we are less than a month away from the DO. Now that it's about 5 trips out for me, it's moved into "on the horizon" status. Just reading this thread is getting me excited to head down to Atlanta.
+1

I am very excited now and glad I signed up! Between the Sims and all the other great stuff this sounds like a real highlight
Old Sep 26, 2010, 8:38 am

Programs: flying blue
walk a mile in gate agents shoes

WOW I MUST RE READ THIS AGAIN WHEN I AM SAT IN AMS WAITING FOR
MY NEXT FLIGHT
Thank you for doing this and for showing us what agreat job gate agents do &what they have to deal with &put with espically the infamous
D Y K W I A . or the pax at ORD ,WHO REFUSED TO CHECK HIS BAG , SWORE AT THE G A &eventually denied boarding
at last the G A,s are acknowleged and you opened my eyes to how much extra work they do
I know some G A,s at ORD both T2 &T5 so i value them even more
now will have to stock up on extra Droste at AMS
THIS SHOULD BE A MUST READ FOR ALL PAX
^@:-)
Old Sep 26, 2010, 9:26 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WesNSpace
Saw some new gate agents at ATL today...

LOL I about choked when you were on the phone and just said what day are we going to have dinner at the aquarium. Good job on that out of the blue guess.
i have no idea what you're talking about. Can you perhaps elaborate? Why the random pictures at a gate, apparently taken by Mr. Blurrycam?

Originally Posted by atl runner
Folks, atldlff, Canarsie, WesNSpace and atl runner (yours truly) just finished up a fantastic day of dry-running the Walk a Mile in a Gate Agent's Shoes event. It was an incredible experience and we will be writing about it on the blog for the event that Canarsie created.

In general, you would not believe all of the things that a Gate Agent has to keep track of--not just processing seat requests, upgrades, standby pax, etc. They have folks from other flights coming up and asking questions, need to make sure that things like security sweeps, cleaning crews and caterers are there and doing their jobs, checking in and communicating with the onboard crew, etc.

And if the boarding door is not closed exactly two minutes before the scheduled departure time, they get "written up" and have to file all sorts of paperwork. Any delay has to get assigned to someone or something (the caterers, the gate agent, the onboard crew, the baggage handlers, an unruly pax, weather, etc--or combination thereof) so it gives you a great appreciation of the stress they are under to get the plane closed out on time. As we all know, if the flights start running late, the snowball effect will only make things worse as the day goes on.

The gate agent job is multi-tasking to an unbelievable level--not sure how they do it. But, they do, and our hosts couldn't have been more gracious.

Anyway, more in the blog over the next few days, but those of you doing this event are in for a real treat.
Thanks for the explanation. Why was this done? Can you provide some context?

Yes, you read that correctly — and they just installed new technology that might amaze you.

I would post photographs from the control tower, but I took the pictures with atldlff’s camera and he is most likely currently napping after the day he had, which included handling an international flight.
The FAA allowed you to "handle" an international flight at Atlanta? Do you have a background as an Air Traffic Controller?

Last edited by Canarsie; Sep 26, 2010 at 1:01 pm Reason: Consolidation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.