Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Award Ticket Upgrades Are Here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Award Ticket Upgrades Are Here!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2010, 1:28 am

Programs: DELTA
Lightbulb Good to Go

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Alan, bad news for you probably. All of the SEA-MSP flights for 8/16 are zeroed out for ugprades except the 1255a, 225p, 340p or 625p. If you aren't on one of these flights then you won't get an upgrade right now.

Also, I would think that once you clicked the Request button you would have been almost immediately upgraded if 'V' was greater than zero and in fact DM/PM get award ticket upgrades at the 5 day mark (because EUA's for flights on Monday were processed already). Then again, if you're on one of the morning flights that is already zeroed out you won't get the upgrade right now.

-RM
Thank you -RM. As it turns out, I'm on "one" of the flights you mentioned. I also checked out the FC seats available and it's wide open... just 3 seats taken. I'm hoping! My experience is that DL doesn't process the 5 day window UG's until about now (between 6 and 5 days out).

Ciao Friend!

-A
Old Aug 11, 2010, 2:03 am

Talking I just got my Award UG!!!

Originally Posted by Poopdeck90210
Thank you -RM. As it turns out, I'm on "one" of the flights you mentioned. I also checked out the FC seats available and it's wide open... just 3 seats taken. I'm hoping! My experience is that DL doesn't process the 5 day window UG's until about now (between 6 and 5 days out).
I just checked my Award PNR (SEA-MSP on Monday) and I have now been UG'd into 3B!!! Whoop!!! Whoop!!! ^ ^ ^

-A

Last edited by Poopdeck90210; Aug 11, 2010 at 3:05 am
Old Aug 11, 2010, 2:19 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
How interesting this is. Actual experience seems to be showing something like "best in class"?!? What will all the midwesterners have to complain about now? LOL.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 3:06 am

Talking True

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
How interesting this is. Actual experience seems to be showing something like "best in class"?!? What will all the midwesterners have to complain about now? LOL.
Very True! LOL!!!
Old Aug 11, 2010, 4:03 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
DL is a very good domestic airline if one can work around its award inventory.
but again, this benefits doesnt benifit its international customer.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 4:29 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'm not seeing the checkbox for the domestic legs of an international itinerary. Is that standard? Or could it be because I have a non-elite with me on the PNR?
Old Aug 11, 2010, 5:55 am

Programs: DL-DM, PC-PM
Think of it this way; you had a shiny new Corvette and someone came along and said "I am going to let you keep what you had, but make it better". Then they give you a Chevette and tell you "see, that is much better than what you had before". I guarantee that you would be saying something.

If this is in fact true, then we "midwesterners" will have one less Chevette in our garages.

Last edited by USAF_Pride; Aug 11, 2010 at 10:02 am
Old Aug 11, 2010, 6:42 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
I just did a test award booking for this Saturday and Sunday and upgrades showed available on both days.

IMO this is actually a "worst in class" implementation to upgrade award tickets ahead of paid tickets. It will make upgrades even scarcer for Silvers, Golds, and to a lesser extent Plats. Another devaluation of the lower tiers.

As always, change benefits some and disadvantages others. I'd be much happier if "low" award availability were addressed, instead of slicing off the already limited upgrade pool for award tickets in this manner.

David
Old Aug 11, 2010, 6:54 am

Programs: NW Plat
Just checked my award itinerary and there was an option to request upgrades on the domestic legs. Would be cool if the upgrade goes through.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:04 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Now how about allowing me to upgrade when I use a Companion Certificate...The no upg is a horrible policy. The best time to use a Companion Certificate is on a long, expensive flight. BUT I'm not flying coach so someone else can get a free ride.

At the very least, my ticket should be upgradable
Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:18 am

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
There goes my FO upgrade percentage.

OK, the next question is where in the fare-code chain do these fall? Do T-fares have higher priority than award tickets?
Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Smaug
There goes my FO upgrade percentage.
As a scientist, I'm thinking that there should be some tracking of upgrade percentages for FOs and GMs pre-award upgrade implementation and post-award upgrade implementation. The recent thread about upgrade percentages would be a good baseline for the pre-award upgrade situation. Those who keep track of your upgrade rates, can you please keep a separate count starting from today for comparison purposes? Rumor, innuendo, and speculation are fun, but not reliable for determining the true impact.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:43 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
WOW. I am absolutely shocked. This will make for some fun game-playing in conjunction with my ability to re-deposit awards for free on DL, AA, and UA. I now envision booking a first class award on UA or AA and a coach award on DL. If the upgrade clears on DL, I will cancel the AA/UA award. If not, I will cancel the DL award.

Thank you DL. This will be fun in 2011 while I go from DM --> FO!

I think I'll even delete my signature below, although ironically this new policy will be driving me away in 2012!

Last edited by The Mileage Millionaire; Aug 11, 2010 at 7:51 am
Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:46 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by mtkeller
As a scientist, I'm thinking that there should be some tracking of upgrade percentages for FOs and GMs pre-award upgrade implementation and post-award upgrade implementation. The recent thread about upgrade percentages would be a good baseline for the pre-award upgrade situation. Those who keep track of your upgrade rates, can you please keep a separate count starting from today for comparison purposes? Rumor, innuendo, and speculation are fun, but not reliable for determining the true impact.
This would be interesting. I hypothesize the rates will be barely, if at all, affected overall.
  1. Heavy flights where FO and GM would not have cleared anyway -- no change
  2. Light flights where everybody clears and upgrades go for sale -- no change
  3. Borderline flights where some GM or some FO will clear -- barely noticeable change

For case number three, if we assume 10% of a typical domestic flight is traveling on redemption, and that 5% of these flyers are GM or higher, then on average there will be between zero and two people eligible for upgrades on award tickets per flight. This seems to be within the usual noise of number of people on the upgrade list to begin with.

Originally Posted by vatraveler
I'm not seeing the checkbox for the domestic legs of an international itinerary. Is that standard? Or could it be because I have a non-elite with me on the PNR?
I see it for SFO-JFK following NRT-SFO.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:54 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by fsa_ea

I think I'll even delete my signature below, although ironically this new policy will be driving me away in 2012!
Signature removed (for now).

Now, please make B/E awards available for something less than nose-bleed rates!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.