Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Miami (MIA): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Miami (MIA): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2012, 12:22 pm

Versailles is fine, and worth visiting exactly once. Downtown Coral Gables is close to the airport - $22 cab ride each way - and has a lot of very decent restaurants; I'd suggest Por Fin. In the other direction, Michael's Genuine and Buena Vista Bistro in Design District are excellent. You'd want at least a 3 hour layover to visit one of these places. Cab it; public transportation is not an option in trying to get to these places from the airport.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by varsityd
Versailles is fine, and worth visiting exactly once. Downtown Coral Gables is close to the airport - $22 cab ride each way - and has a lot of very decent restaurants; I'd suggest Por Fin. In the other direction, Michael's Genuine and Buena Vista Bistro in Design District are excellent. You'd want at least a 3 hour layover to visit one of these places. Cab it; public transportation is not an option in trying to get to these places from the airport.
Be aware however you are NOT getting a cab back from Versailles and probably not from Gables either

Be sure to take the cabbie's business card because you will need to call for a cab.

There ain't cabs running up and down Calle Ocho
Old Mar 7, 2012, 6:21 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Be aware however you are NOT getting a cab back from Versailles and probably not from Gables either

Be sure to take the cabbie's business card because you will need to call for a cab.

There ain't cabs running up and down Calle Ocho
Just rent a car. You can get cars in Miami for under $30, and with the new train to the rental car garage, it's painless.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
27 Min Layover MIA

Hi all,

I have a 27 min layover in Miami due to DL flight changes. I'm connecting to another Delta flight. Is this okay or is there a high chance I'll miss the flight.

Should I contact Delta and have them book me on later flights to be safe and try to get on the earlier ones still?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 5:05 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I think more info would help us give you a proper answer, such as, where you're connecting to/from - domestic/int'l - will you have checked luggage, day of the week, hour of the day, etc.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
Hi all,

I have a 27 min layover in Miami due to DL flight changes. I'm connecting to another Delta flight. Is this okay or is there a high chance I'll miss the flight.

Should I contact Delta and have them book me on later flights to be safe and try to get on the earlier ones still?

Thanks in advance.
You are inside the 30 min window so change is free for you. I sure would change and spend some time in the skyclub while you wait!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Agreed. Sorry.

These are domestic flights. I am not checking any luggage. I'm coming into Miami on a DTW-MIA and departing a MIA-LAS.

I arrive Sunday September 2nd at 11:33 AM and depart to Vegas at 12:00 PM (Noon).

Warm regards,

mbwmbw
Old Apr 30, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
If I understand EF correctly, minimum connect time at MIA for DL domestic to domestic is at least 55 minutes:

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .55 1.00 1.30 1.30
OFFLINE .55 1.00 1.30 1.30
** OR * ARE ALL
DL-DL DD SUP ALL - FLT 7470 - 7724
DL-DL DD SUP ALL - FLT 8975 - 9274
DL-DL DD SUP FLT 7470 - 7724 - ALL
DL-DL DD SUP FLT 8975 - 9274 - ALL
**-** DD 1.15 INTER MIA - MPB
**-** DD 1.15 INTER MPB - MIA

Are these on the same ticket? Are you in a hurry to get there if you miss the connection? If you're taking that routing for the miles, and you miss the MIA/LAS, you may get rerouted something like MIA/MSP/LAS or MIA/JFK/LAS, but you could lose UGs.

There's a lot to think about, but I'd probably look into possible rerouting options that are appealing to you to be armed with ammunition, and call to try'n change it.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by davetravels
I think more info would help us give you a proper answer, such as, where you're connecting to/from - domestic/int'l - will you have checked luggage, day of the week, hour of the day, etc.
this

however iirc DL only uses about 6 gates in a fairly compact area of the H concourse at MIA so this connection shouldn't be much of a problem
Old Apr 30, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
If I understand EF correctly, minimum connect time at MIA for DL domestic to domestic is at least 55 minutes:

** OR * ARE ALL

Are these on the same ticket? Are you in a hurry to get there if you miss the connection? If you're taking that routing for the miles, and you miss the MIA/LAS, you may get rerouted something like MIA/MSP/LAS or MIA/JFK/LAS, but you could lose UGs.

There's a lot to think about, but I'd probably look into possible rerouting options that are appealing to you to be armed with ammunition, and call to try'n change it.
I believe that is 0.55 hr, not min. - 0.55hr = 33min. Close, but doable. Much depends on tight timing of the incoming segment. Run a bit ahead or on time, no problem. Run even a few minutes late and you will be likely fishing for whatever odd routing is left - if any that day.

Bottom line: as pointed out above, you have to have your ducks in a row when/if you call for rerouting options.

Is this a MR? If so you could push for routing through FLL - has some worthwhile routings. If not, there are a couple of options in the early afternoon from MIA to LAS.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not a legal connection

The change makes this under the legal MCT and therefore it is not doable even if there is some chance of it physically ocurring.

Remember, 27 minutes is actually only 12 minutes because OP needs to be through the gate reader at T-15 or he risks losing his seat, particularly if the connecting flight is oversold.

12 minutes is the time OP has from the second the brakes on the arriving flight are locked, to actually offload, walk between gates and board the connecting flight.

Call now, get the change made and if by some chance you arrive in time to make the earlier flight, go to the gate for the earlier flight and see if there's still space.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Surface Interval
I believe that is 0.55 hr, not min. - 0.55hr = 33min.
Speaking as a former part time travel agent, I'm fairly sure these are minutes. 1.30 is an hour and a half.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 7:32 pm

** OR * ARE ALL

I'm going to check out some reroutes. Let me upload my current route now.

Originally Posted by jrl22
this

however iirc DL only uses about 6 gates in a fairly compact area of the H concourse at MIA so this connection shouldn't be much of a problem
So do you honestly think I can make it? If not what routing would you suggest to maximize my MQM?

Originally Posted by Often1
The change makes this under the legal MCT and therefore it is not doable even if there is some chance of it physically ocurring.

Remember, 27 minutes is actually only 12 minutes because OP needs to be through the gate reader at T-15 or he risks losing his seat, particularly if the connecting flight is oversold.

12 minutes is the time OP has from the second the brakes on the arriving flight are locked, to actually offload, walk between gates and board the connecting flight.

Call now, get the change made and if by some chance you arrive in time to make the earlier flight, go to the gate for the earlier flight and see if there's still space.
Can I have a flight on hold so I can keep my UG on the earlier flight and go to the later one? Will Delta let me do that? I guess I probably should do the reverse to be better safe than sorry...

Speaking as a former part time travel agent, I'm fairly sure these are minutes. 1.30 is an hour and a half.

Okay everyone Here is a challenge. Find me a better routing that will maximize my MQM. I'd like to be back reasonably in LAS on Sunday night, however.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 8:33 pm

Let me upload my current route now.

So do you honestly think I can make it?

Can I have a flight on hold so I can keep my UG on the earlier flight and go to the later one? Will Delta let me do that?

Okay everyone Here is a challenge. Find me a better routing that will maximize my MQM. I'd like to be back reasonably in LAS on Sunday night, however.
YIKES!!!

Do I think you can make it - -

Yes, if all is perfect, but of course, anything can happen.

Will DL let you hold extra seats just in case you can make it - -

I think not. Especially on a holiday weekend! Also, if you don't make some kind of change to this itinerary, I think the system may pick up on the possible misconnect and a change may be made automatically! I think you're better finding something on your own.

MIA/DTW DL902 130P/435P
DTW/LAS DL1217 540PM/710PM

Your routing MIA/ATL/MSP/LAS = 2801 Miles
My routing MIA/DTW/LAS = 2894 Miles

That was only on my first try!

I think part of whatever routing the system will allow you to change to, has to do with the fare you paid - as far as, is this a single fare from LAS to MIA and return, or is there some other fare break in there?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K

So do you honestly think I can make it? If not what routing would you suggest to maximize my MQM? ...

Can I have a flight on hold so I can keep my UG on the earlier flight and go to the later one? Will Delta let me do that? I guess I probably should do the reverse to be better safe than sorry...

if the ticket is LAS-DTW-MIA / MIA-ATL-MSP-LAS, I think the easiest is to call DL and get the next flights on the same routing ... you don't have to tell them it's an MR, just that you need to transit both ATL and MSP

the only routing that comes to mind for more MQMs would be MIA-JFK-LAS, but that also departs at 1200 (later flight puts you back in LAS after midnight, but you might be able to get in at 945pm if you can make a 40-min connection at JFK)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.