Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DCA SkyPriority / full body scanner

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:18 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by andrew10412
Cell phones are also “safe” however what they emit can pop a kernel of popcorn (those who don’t believe, youtube it.) How many millirems do you think are in that?
Um, that's a well documented internet hoax.
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tec...ne.popcorn.cnn
http://www.snopes.com/science/cookegg.asp

There are many reasons to object to the full body scanners. Concern about unsafe radiation is not one of them.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by MS02113
Um, that's a well documented internet hoax.
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tec...ne.popcorn.cnn
http://www.snopes.com/science/cookegg.asp

There are many reasons to object to the full body scanners. Concern about unsafe radiation is not one of them.
And your credentials as a radiologist are?

Unsafe radiation is very much a valid concern:
Also note that TSA refuses to release test data on the scanners, claiming that it is SSI. This refusal is the subject of an FOIA lawsuit by EPIC.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 2:23 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Unsafe radiation is very much a valid concern:
This is a great read, written by actual PhDs in relevant fields. Anyone dismissing potential impacts of these scanners without reading this document or who is not similarly credentialed has (IMHO) no standing in this argument.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA - PP
Originally Posted by bennos
This is a great read, written by actual PhDs in relevant fields. Anyone dismissing potential impacts of these scanners without reading this document or who is not similarly credentialed has (IMHO) no standing in this argument.
While it definitely bears further study, even they admit in their letter that the concerns are speculative. I would say at this stage, while cause for question, I wouldn't be going out of my way to avoid the scanners (ymmv). In my last 7 weeks leaving DCA, I've only been nudie-scanned twice.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by hockeystl
You mean you don't want to be subjected to potentially 20x the radiation they initially claimed was emitted from these machines?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...r-thought.html
They have also lied about these things before.

The TSA swore up and down that the machines had no capability of storing images. Total lie, their own requirements actually state the need for the option of storing images. After this came out they now say that the machines only store images when in testing mode, and that the airport machines are never used in that mode.

Only a matter of time before something happens and we find thousands of pictures of people floating around the internet.

Also, these things are much slower than the metal detectors.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Moebius01
While it definitely bears further study, even they admit in their letter that the concerns are speculative. I would say at this stage, while cause for question, I wouldn't be going out of my way to avoid the scanners (ymmv). In my last 7 weeks leaving DCA, I've only been nudie-scanned twice.
One could also say that radiation concerns in the 40s & 50s regarding above-ground nuclear tests were "speculative". After all, if the governnent ordered our troops to watch the tests, it must be safe. We've since learned otherwise.

Thank you, but my wife & I will NOT be the guinea pigs.

Originally Posted by Nocturnal
They have also lied about these things before.

The TSA swore up and down that the machines had no capability of storing images. Total lie, their own requirements actually state the need for the option of storing images. After this came out they now say that the machines only store images when in testing mode, and that the airport machines are never used in that mode.

Only a matter of time before something happens and we find thousands of pictures of people floating around the internet.

Also, these things are much slower than the metal detectors.

Sooner or later (probably sooner) I'm sure your prediction will come true. The U.S. Marshals Service has already admitted to saving ~ 32,000 nudie scans of Americans at a courthouse checkpoint.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Sep 15, 2010 at 4:47 pm Reason: Quote the correct quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.