FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   DCA SkyPriority / full body scanner (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1109334-dca-skypriority-full-body-scanner.html)

iamhereandthere Jul 25, 2010 3:11 pm

DCA SkyPriority / full body scanner

Has anyone traveled through DCA recently using the SkyPriority lane who can share their experience with the new full-body scanner? I haven't flown out of DCA since the end of May but I'll be departing weekly over the next few months...I'd prefer to use the old-fashioned screening method until TPTB can figure yay or nay on safety, science, etc.

See also: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...nners-dca.html in the safety/security forum.

dlfrflyer Jul 25, 2010 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by iamhereandthere (Post 14362796)
Has anyone traveled through DCA recently using the SkyPriority lane who can share their experience with the new full-body scanner? I haven't flown out of DCA since the end of May but I'll be departing weekly over the next few months...I'd prefer to use the old-fashioned screening method until TPTB can figure yay or nay on safety, science, etc.

See also: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...nners-dca.html in the safety/security forum.

I was there Friday -- the line was taking so long with the scanner, after showing the TSA agent my drivers license, I went to a different line -- you can easily do that too if you prefer not to do the scanner.

hockeystl Jul 25, 2010 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by iamhereandthere (Post 14362796)
I'd prefer to use the old-fashioned screening method until TPTB can figure yay or nay on safety, science, etc.

You mean you don't want to be subjected to potentially 20x the radiation they initially claimed was emitted from these machines?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...r-thought.html

zman Jul 25, 2010 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by dlfrflyer (Post 14363761)
I was there Friday -- the line was taking so long with the scanner, after showing the TSA agent my drivers license, I went to a different line -- you can easily do that too if you prefer not to do the scanner.

BOS Logan DL has the same issue. They use the far right Priority/First class lane with the active full body scanner that takes about 3X-5x longer. So when they use it, I use the regular lane, much faster.

nfg05 Jul 25, 2010 8:09 pm

Weird security procedure to allow people to predict and avoid the machine that provides a more thorough inspection.

Davescj Jul 25, 2010 8:14 pm

FWIW, El Paso has only the body scanner. You can have either the radiation or "alternate" search.

To answer the experience question, you stand facing one panel, with another panel behind you, you stand with feet shoulder width apart, hands over your head, thumbs touching. Your pockets must be competely empty (even of non metal items).....and of course because the US is Sooooooooooo :rolleyes: advanced, you must still take off your shoes.

Dave

vatraveler Jul 25, 2010 8:49 pm

I do not like the idea of being away from my wallet, even for a moment. This is a total farce.

uavking Jul 25, 2010 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by nfg05 (Post 14363833)
Weird security procedure to allow people to predict and avoid the machine that provides a more thorough inspection.

Plus, at least @ ORD, flight and cabin crew are not sent through the WBI :cool:. I mean, ok, crew were already exempt from the LGA nonsense, but this just further underscores the systems vulnerability/theatrical farce that all of this is.

iamhereandthere Jul 25, 2010 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by dlfrflyer (Post 14363761)

Do they expect everyone in the FC/SkyPriority line to wait for that dumb machine or is it "normal" to just walk over to the other line (since the regular lane is basically right there).

Does this make the whole SkyPriority line slower than the regular line? That would really piss me off...it's nice to always have a quick line when DCA is busy.

Wonder what will happen when Clear comes back to DCA...their line was essentially that end part where SkyPriority goes. What a waste of resources it would be to make registered travelers use the fully body scanner...clearly the highest-risk group, right? Ugh.

I will definitely not be going through the scanner until they figure out ... the deal is w/safety, etc.

Thanks for the info...I hope I just have to adjust my schedule accordingly...

tgtg Jul 26, 2010 7:25 am

If everyone opts for "alternate" (which I advise everyone I know), the machines will be useless and removed.

Do not walk into one of these machines.

-=tg=-

Moebius01 Aug 9, 2010 6:51 am

I noticed when I got in last night they have a second scanner up at the opposite end, so I'm guessing it won't be too long before all lanes are using them.

McFlyPHL Aug 9, 2010 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Moebius01 (Post 14447193)
I noticed when I got in last night they have a second scanner up at the opposite end, so I'm guessing it won't be too long before all lanes are using them.

Oh, lovely. That just added another half hour to my Shuttle runs to deal with the extra harassment from the smurfs for opting out.

FireFlyer Aug 9, 2010 9:14 am

I went through mid-day last Tuesday. Both lines (Skypriority and regular) were funneled to seperate luggage x-ray stations, but then everyone from both lines went into a single line for screening. If you happened to get there when the full-body scanner was available, you were sent there. If it was occupied, you went through the regular metal detector. Obviously, with both lines funneling into one place, they both backed up quickly. Finally, they opened an additional screening station at the far left end and used that to clear out the regular security line. The elite line continued to funnel to the scanner as above.

TechMarauder Aug 9, 2010 9:19 am

I was just at DCA yesterday. I chose the alternate like I usually do. I agree - if everyone just chooses the alternate, the machines will be useless.

I also agree, sometimes the regular line works better.

pokeable Aug 9, 2010 9:33 am

Originally Posted by hockeystl (Post 14363800)
You mean you don't want to be subjected to potentially 20x the radiation they initially claimed was emitted from these machines?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...r-thought.html

Nope. S'why I will opt out.

I get enough scatter at work, I don't want to subject myself to even more before stepping on a plane.