GA/FA interaction

Old Jul 19, 10, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Question GA/FA interaction

So... this might not be a Delta specific item, but I figured I'll try here first..

This weekend, on boarding a 757 and sitting in Row 16 (at the Boarding-Entrance), i watched the GA struggled quite a bit trying to get the door closed. The FA was watching it too, and when the GA asked for help the FA just stated: "I can help you open it, but i can't help you close it - get a mechanic if you can't do it".

Can somebody enlighten me on the reasoning of the FA not (beeing able/willing to/allowed to) help?

Just curious

Thanks
Old Jul 19, 10, 10:37 am

Union rules?
Old Jul 19, 10, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Premier
I believe it has to do with that the door gets secured from outside the aircraft, which requires the GA to finish the closing of the door (at least on the 757). As such, it'd be a problem for the F/A to secure the door shut unless they didn't want to be on the plane.
Old Jul 19, 10, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mersk862 View Post
I believe it has to do with that the door gets secured from outside the aircraft, which requires the GA to finish the closing of the door (at least on the 757). As such, it'd be a problem for the F/A to secure the door shut unless they didn't want to be on the plane.
Well, but on smaller planes like CRJs which can't be reached from the jetbridge once the little ramp is removed, the doors are closed by the FA as well - so a 757 Door is different in a way it can't be securely closed from the inside?
Old Jul 19, 10, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Premier
Originally Posted by zig666 View Post
Well, but on smaller planes like CRJs which can't be reached from the jetbridge once the little ramp is removed, the doors are closed by the FA as well - so a 757 Door is different in a way it can't be securely closed from the inside?
Very different comparison between the 757 and a CRJ. The CRJ (and other regional planes) were designed to be self-loadable from the ground, with the built-in airstairs, etc. The 757 requires a boarding platform (be it a jetway, airstairs, etc.) to load/unload.
Old Jul 19, 10, 11:04 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition.
Originally Posted by WBurcham View Post
Union rules?
IF PMNW FA, then that would be my guess as well.....
Old Jul 19, 10, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLdweeb View Post
IF PMNW FA, then that would be my guess as well.....
well, she was wearing an AFA-Pin, so that guess would be true.. however I can't see the real benefit of not trying to make a flight go out in time, no matter what your affiliation is
Old Jul 19, 10, 11:40 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Originally Posted by zig666 View Post
well, she was wearing an AFA-Pin, so that guess would be true.. however I can't see the real benefit of not trying to make a flight go out in time, no matter what your affiliation is
So, I guess PMDL FAs cannot support unionization?

Based on a quick Google search it appears that the party responsible for opening/closing aircraft doors is typically a company policy and varies between airlines. It doesn't appear to have anything at all to do with a union.
Old Jul 19, 10, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Based on a quick Google search it appears that the party responsible for opening/closing aircraft doors is typically a company policy and varies between airlines. It doesn't appear to have anything at all to do with a union.
Because company policy has never been determined by union negotiations?
Old Jul 19, 10, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Company policy is for the GA to open and close the door. I've never seen a FA refuse to help close a door. Boeing aircraft doors can be quite tricky to close if you're not used to them.
Old Jul 19, 10, 2:22 pm

In the early '90s, NW had a rash of blown slides. Mainly on the A320 and the DC-10. It was a combination of FAs, ground people, cleaners, mechs and caterers. The doors were clearly marked for "armed" "disarmed" on the doors.

As a result, the company (NW) absolutely forbid the FAs from touching the doors. The only people who were allowed to touch the doors while the plane was being worked were the GAs and pilots.

The FAs were only to "arm" and "disarm" the doors. And in Whiteplains when the DC-9s had the built in forward boarding stairs, we had to "crack" the door for the GA. The forward stairs on the DC-9s have all been deactivated and removed.

As far as I know, the policy hasn't been changed to allow the PMNW FAs to touch the doors to assist a GA.
Old Jul 19, 10, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
I have personally witnessed a FA helping a GA opening the door to a Mad Dog. That was back in February of 2008 though.
Old Jul 19, 10, 2:56 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Continental OnePass, Hilton Honors, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club, Starwood SPG
I had a friend who worked on the E-3 Sentry (AWACS) with me who accidentally deployed the slide...into the aircraft. Rear door was cocked halfway opened and his boot hooked the slide pull/arm cable on the way in. Deployed it into the aircraft. Pinned him up against the lav door as it shot down the main aisle. He took a lot of grief that trip for it naturally
Old Jul 20, 10, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by NWAFA View Post
The forward stairs on the DC-9s have all been deactivated and removed.
I thought Dougie kept a few of them installed for situations like HPN, did DL retire those aircraft now?
Old Jul 20, 10, 6:12 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, 2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by NWAFA View Post
In the early '90s, NW had a rash of blown slides. Mainly on the A320 and the DC-10. It was a combination of FAs, ground people, cleaners, mechs and caterers. The doors were clearly marked for "armed" "disarmed" on the doors.

As a result, the company (NW) absolutely forbid the FAs from touching the doors. The only people who were allowed to touch the doors while the plane was being worked were the GAs and pilots.

The FAs were only to "arm" and "disarm" the doors. And in Whiteplains when the DC-9s had the built in forward boarding stairs, we had to "crack" the door for the GA. The forward stairs on the DC-9s have all been deactivated and removed.

As far as I know, the policy hasn't been changed to allow the PMNW FAs to touch the doors to assist a GA.
Thanks, very informative!

Search this Thread