Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FRA B/E Arrival: Shower facilities?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
I'm also a Gold Medallion with Delta, and with the upcoming merger of United (1P) and Continental (Plat) I have been looking to balance out with another primary airline to take the place of one of those. I don't like having all my eggs in one airline basket.

No obviously the actions of any one business traveler doesn't warrant any particular response. But they are flying multiple widebodies there a day, and yes, I want to highlight for anyone from Delta who cruises these threads that there are specific costs and customers driven away by their decisions.

It's not just a hub thing either. I've checked around and CO, for example, has welcoming arrangements at many non-hub airports for arriving business travelers, for example, brief use of local airport hotel rooms. (No, I don't know how that will end up postmerger.) I haven't been able to get much info on Delta but so far I'm not finding that to be the case. I may do some looking into AA, and they could develop into my second airline instead of Delta, which would have been since I have used them some.

FTF
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:08 pm
DLH

Programs: AA CK, EXP, DL MM, LH FTL, HH G, Accor G, Marriott G, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by FullTimeFlyer
The location's pretty well described on the FRA web site, among some luxury shops in the "mall" area. I don't remember the exact details or I'd direct you.
Thanks. I think I will find it. I will however then have my checked luggage with me. Based on your words how tight it is there ... how would I manage to drag a suitcase plus a carry on plus a laptop bag inside?

I did go back more recently and based on this level of "business elite-dom" you can bet I skipped Delta and flew Star business instead (in this case Lufthansa). Their arrival facility was terrrific - only wished I had more time to enjoy breakfast.
FTF
Thanks for this , as a frequent LH traveller ... I know the facilities, they are great but require same day LH connection. Too bad I will take a car from there ...

Thanks for all the reply!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:18 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
There wasn't anything provided by Delta - I ended up in the public facility in terminal 1 (the only one reachable outside security for arriving passengers). It was adequate but far from pleasant (see description a few posts back). The location's pretty well described on the FRA web site, among some luxury shops in the "mall" area. I don't remember the exact details or I'd direct you. It's a single room in the back of the men's room; there's a hostess you pay. It's cheap and you can get clean but not only is it dreary, there can be a considerable wait since it's one at a time.

I did go back more recently and based on this level of "business elite-dom" you can bet I skipped Delta and flew Star business instead (in this case Lufthansa). Their arrival facility was terrrific - only wished I had more time to enjoy breakfast. By the way, as Sabai mentioned below, they presumably don't let in Star Golds, but they DO allow business class partners from any of their US partners - I checked specifically with the agent at the front desk for future reference and she named all 3 as OK.

Then there are day rooms at some of the neighboring hotels - not sure which but I think it was described before in this thread.

Add it up and if you need to be doing something on the day of arrival after a business flight, you need to be flying Star, not Delta. Sorry Delta, but as someone who gets the same miles for either, you've driven this business customer away.

FTF
Apparently when this new shower facility opened, they closed the free shower in one of the other restrooms. The one described above is relatively easy to find - there are shower pictograms that you can follow. But being so small and cramped, as well as the cost, is a bummer.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Definitely agree with fti - it'll be pretty cramped. I think I had to spread my carryon-bag out on the toilet as it was, to have my shower kit up on the sink. (Don't even remember where I stashed my lap top bag, maybe under the sink.)

So with the checked bag it's going to be cozy, but you can probably stand it in front of the door. Inside, of course.

FTF
Old Oct 27, 2010, 7:48 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by DLH

Thanks for this , as a frequent LH traveller ... I know the facilities, they are great but require same day LH connection. Too bad I will take a car from there ...

Thanks for all the reply!
I am puzzled by the assertion that use of the arrivals lounge is contingent upon an onward LH flight. The only thing that I have ever had to produce to gain entrance is the ticket stub of an inbound LH flight to FRA in C (or F.)

I believe that FRA could be your final destination and had you flown LH in C or F access would be assured.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

I didn't reply to that part, but I'd second Sabai's comment. I didn't have a connecting LH flight either, just the arrival, and it was't required. That's for the arrival lounge.

Oh, I get it - DLH, are you talking about the regular lounges, some of which also have showers (but with less availability, usually just 3 or 4 in each of the larger lounges if I recall correctly. They are post-security, so you'd only visit them if you were a connecting passenger. And in that case, yes, you'd need an onward ticket to pass through security I believe, rather than exiting.

FTF
Old Oct 28, 2010, 1:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, former DL Gold
Originally Posted by DLH
The arrivals lounge is open to pax in J and F on LH and US-based Star Alliance carriers. They wouldn't let me in with a SQ F ticket. However, I ended up using a LH business lounge (using *G status) before going through customs.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 9:49 am
DLH

Programs: AA CK, EXP, DL MM, LH FTL, HH G, Accor G, Marriott G, Sixt Diamond
Oh, I get it - DLH, are you talking about the regular lounges, some of which also have showers (but with less availability, usually just 3 or 4 in each of the larger lounges if I recall correctly. They are post-security, so you'd only visit them if you were a connecting passenger. And in that case, yes, you'd need an onward ticket to pass through security I believe, rather than exiting.
FTF
OK, thanks for the clarification, it seems there is pre exit (e.g. pre picking up luggage, pre passport control lounge on Terminal 2 in FRA? THis would be ideal ... just like the old DL lounge, where you could go pre exiting and refresh. All I understand now they are all post baggage claim and only in Terminal 1? Correct? Thanks a bunch!
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:22 am
Original Poster

No sorry, I think I was unclear. I wasn't talking about terminal 2.

There's the LH arrivals lounge in T1, which is indeed after passport, baggage claim and customs. Then there are the various LH lounges in the airside departure area, several of which have showers for connecting passengers. All Star.

I couldn't find anything in T2 available to arriving Delta passengers, although there is an Air France/KLM lounge you can use if you are somehow connecting over in that part of the terminal. I guess this has wandered a bit but the search for something you could use arriving on Delta BE was the start of this. All we have for that is the public shower in a men's room in T1 (which is the main reason why T1 keeps popping up along with the comparison of facilities in general) and local hotels.

FTF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.