FRA B/E Arrival: Shower facilities?

Old Jul 14, 2010, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Question FRA B/E Arrival: Shower facilities?

Arriving at FRA Monday AM on business from ATL and need to go right on to work. I see that they have closed their own club - called reservations and they really didn't know although the agent diligently tried - searched this site and confirmed what I had guessed, which was that the Air France site is inaccessible to arriving passengers. (Interestingly, the Air France site still lists the old Delta arrival lounge.)

Didn't want to just bump that thread, which was about unhappy general trend of club closings - no one would see I was looking for help...

Does Delta have a contract to let you into one of the airport hotels or anything like that, such as the ones that CO has with Yotel in LHR or some other airports? Agent could not tell me; could only suggest I ask agent at club when connecting in Atlanta.

Reason I am trying to find out in advance is I need to make arrangements to meet someone at the airport afterwards to travel onward to my meeting.

If Delta doesn't sponsor or steer you toward anything in particular, can anyone provide their experience about good arrival shower options in or near the airport? Thanks so much.

FTF
Old Jul 14, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Currently, departing BE DL passengers can use the JAL Sakura lounge right next to the old DL lounge. I believe they have showers, but I don't know if they will let arriving BE passengers in the lounge. I'm pretty sure that you can access the lounge from arrivals; I have certainly gone to the DL lounge upon arrival in the past.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks duluthDL:

That would be awesome if it works that way, but tell me (just from my ignorance): don't they do like most airports/countries do and put arriving/non-connecting passengers on a straight and narrow path to customs and immigration?

Is there a "trick," like you need to act as a connecting passenger or something like that?

It's been a while (probably 5 years) since I did a business arrival at that terminal (back as a Continental flyer), so I don't remember anything other than there was a lounge and showers were available - don't remember how I got there.

FTF
Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
I'll try to describe it...
When you are departing, the sequence is: ticket counter; outbound passport control; this releases you into a "general area" where you can access duty free, other shops, restaurants and the Sakura lounge; x ray security check; and sterile (?) gate area.
When you arrive, you walk thru a corridor and then are dumped into the general area. Signs will direct you to passport control. If you don't see the lounge, you can locate it as follows: do not go down the escalator to passport control; if you are at the top of the escalator, facing the escalator, then the Sakura lounge will be about 50 yards to your right.

Alternately, the Steigenberger has day rooms; I think it's a little under 100 euro. The shuttle runs every 15-20 minutes. Even more convenient but more expensive is the Sheraton which is on site. I don't know if they have day rooms.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks much, duluth. Several good options there. I will give it a try.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 8:55 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Also, a couple of the restrooms in the departure hall have showers. You may need to find someone to unlock it (not sure if there is a charge, if so it is minimal). I know I have done this once but it has been a while. And I think it was in the terminal that Lufthansa uses, not the one that Delta uses.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In FRA, the AA club is landside, has showers, and belongs to Priority Pass. Even if you're not already a member, it could be convenient and more cost effective to join than to pay a hotel day rate at FRA.

However, if you're not already a PP member, the problem could be receiving the card in time for your trip. I'm not sure there's a way to print a new card on line and have it accepted or to simply join on site, at the lounge you want to use.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
Originally Posted by duluthDL
Currently, departing BE DL passengers can use the JAL Sakura lounge right next to the old DL lounge. I believe they have showers, but I don't know if they will let arriving BE passengers in the lounge. I'm pretty sure that you can access the lounge from arrivals; I have certainly gone to the DL lounge upon arrival in the past.
From our experience in May, 2010, the answer is no. The agent took a glance at our boarding passes and firmly said, 'No arriving passengers, departing only.' Then pointed us the direction to the down escalators to passport control.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. I'm off tomorrow; we'll see how it goes. I'll probably try the JAL lounge because it's there, but based on belle3388's comments will probably not get in. I'll likely end up at the public facility in the Lufthansa terminal rather than the 100 eur day room. Quicker too.

Not a priority pass member; mostly CO/UA and have lifetime club membership there so don't think it makes enough sense to pay to join that, but thanks for the suggestion, MSPeco.

FTF

P.S.: Delta management: I'm suprised you are flying 3 widebodies a day into a business destination and don't provide a facility for your arriving business flyers. I should have stayed with *A but saw a chance to save a few dollars. That was a mistake I won't soon repeat.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down

Thanks for the advice, all. I ended up in the public facility in terminal 1. It was what you'd expect for 6 euros (standing around for use, very hot inside the tiny room, which had no place for even my tiny carry-on) but ultimately got the job done. All the terminal 2 facility options were not possible - JAL lounge said no facilities/access for arriving passengers, and although there is a public facility it is not accessible to arriving passengers (back outside departure security).

So, I'll definitely avoid flying Delta business to Frankfurt again when it is so much nicer to use the *A arrival facilities. My bad not to check first but now I know better. Congrats, Delta management, you "win" again. Wish it were otherwise, but you gotta give the love to those who love you back.

FTF
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:01 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
The few times I flew there, I never noticed if the Crown Room had shower facilities or not. Then again, I never have and never will schedule anything coming right off a TransAtlantic flight, so I am always able to go to the hotel, shower, nap and then head out for an evening of meetings and dinner. But now I am curious, did the FRA facility have showers?
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
LH has a very nice arrivals lounge in FRA for incoming F and C passengers (no Star Golds or other riff-raff are allowed in AFAIK - it is strictly for alighting LH premium passengers)

It is after immigration (a breeze) and offers many large and nicely outfitted showers with WCs and L'Occitaine products. There is a very comprehensive breakfast spread, with the obligitory sekt on hand for early-morning imbibers.

After experiencing this delightful way to break up a trip to the middle-east, there is yet even less reason to fly ST.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:11 am
DLH

Programs: AA CK, EXP, DL MM, LH FTL, HH G, Accor G, Marriott G, Sixt Diamond
re: the golden past

Originally Posted by aviatorzz
The few times I flew there, I never noticed if the Crown Room had shower facilities or not. Then again, I never have and never will schedule anything coming right off a TransAtlantic flight, so I am always able to go to the hotel, shower, nap and then head out for an evening of meetings and dinner. But now I am curious, did the FRA facility have showers?
yes, they did have 4 or 5 showers in the "left" "back" behind the silent resting area with the nice chairs.

however: I am flying next week the first time after DL closed in FRA, is there any new development re: Showers as I have the same issue (as I always schedule meetings right away ... keep you running, no time for jet lag) and I have meeting downtown FRA and then will go to a different city via rental car ... in other words, I hope it does not "stink"

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:35 am
Original Poster

There wasn't anything provided by Delta - I ended up in the public facility in terminal 1 (the only one reachable outside security for arriving passengers). It was adequate but far from pleasant (see description a few posts back). The location's pretty well described on the FRA web site, among some luxury shops in the "mall" area. I don't remember the exact details or I'd direct you. It's a single room in the back of the men's room; there's a hostess you pay. It's cheap and you can get clean but not only is it dreary, there can be a considerable wait since it's one at a time.

I did go back more recently and based on this level of "business elite-dom" you can bet I skipped Delta and flew Star business instead (in this case Lufthansa). Their arrival facility was terrrific - only wished I had more time to enjoy breakfast. By the way, as Sabai mentioned below, they presumably don't let in Star Golds, but they DO allow business class partners from any of their US partners - I checked specifically with the agent at the front desk for future reference and she named all 3 as OK.

Then there are day rooms at some of the neighboring hotels - not sure which but I think it was described before in this thread.

Add it up and if you need to be doing something on the day of arrival after a business flight, you need to be flying Star, not Delta. Sorry Delta, but as someone who gets the same miles for either, you've driven this business customer away.

FTF
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by FullTimeFlyer
Sorry Delta, but as someone who gets the same miles for either, you've driven this business customer away.
It's not as though they will miss you - you were giving so much business to *A anyway (since I see you are a UA 1P, CO Plat). So even with arrival showers, the delta (sic) gain would likely not be that great for them anyway. And I doubt Delta (or any other airline) would want to start a bun fight in Lufthansa's backyard - they wouldn't win a point.

Last edited by bmchris; Oct 27, 2010 at 11:51 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.