Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Here's good news on Companion Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2010, 4:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Not if DL was to go to NW way of upgrading which would be the companion at the 5 day window for DL/PM, which is the point others are trying to make.

It's a double edged sword while I would love to get the upgrades at the window I also agree that it is not fair to the GM/FO to have this.
Do you really think DL would get anywhere near as generous as NW was with that benefit? It just doesn't fit their mindset as I see it. I think basically this is an attempt to throw us a bone. Very few companions are actually going to get upgrades.

Per dl.com:
How It Works

* You and companion have different reservation numbers:

Your upgrade will clear based on your individual member status and confirmation window. Your companion’s will clear no sooner than 12 hours prior to the flight's departure.

* You and companion share same reservation number:

Both your upgrades will clear no sooner than 12 hours prior to the flight's departure.

Yes - that's 12 hours before - not the old NW way.

In fact we need to remember these rules because if you do an iten together with a wife, etc. the companion will still hold back your normal medallion upgrade. In my model its still best to split the upgrade and give the seat to your SO who stayed home with the kids while you earned that status. I really see the extra upgrade as a low-odds crapshoot - better to keep existing models - redeem FC miles, buy K and upgrade or just assume a Y ride and be happy when fortune favors you.

Last edited by pmaddock; Jun 11, 2010 at 4:12 pm
Old Jun 11, 2010, 4:13 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by pmaddock
Do you really think DL would get anywhere near as generous as NW was with that benefit? It just doesn't fit their mindset as I see it.
I don't see generosity to be the central issue; the supply of upgrades is fixed. Would we really want a world in which Diamond companions are displacing Platinums, for instance?
Old Jun 11, 2010, 4:52 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by Stripe
And another -1 for this. Except for full Y fares, any elite (and one companion on the same PNR) should trump all lower tiers for upgrades, whether the tickets were paid for with cash or with miles. We need more differentiation between the elite levels not less, especially between DM and Plat.
Being in the top level (DM) I'm sure you feel this way as you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Everyone below you, PM and down, potentially has something to lose however if things were to go this way.

I understand that it would suit a DM. It would likely pi$$ off a lot of PM, GM, FO members.

As others have said, I think the current 'enhancement' strikes a balance between providing this benefit, and still maintaining a strong EUA program for all ranks.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 9:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by hazelrah
I don't see generosity to be the central issue; the supply of upgrades is fixed. Would we really want a world in which Diamond companions are displacing Platinums, for instance?
I guess my point is that DL just won't go that way. They can't even bring themselves to give Diamonds an earlier upgrade window or offer a competitive intl upgrade method. The concept of an attractive companion upgrade is totally foreign to them.

As such all this fear and loathing is much ado about nothing. Its a token benefit as offered and it going to stay that way - whether you are for or against an NW companion upgrade process its just not gonna happen.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, HH Diamond, MR Lifetime Plat/Titanium, National Exec Elite
Thanks for the update. Took a trip this weekend with Mrs. b0nd0 - outbound we were both on the upgrade list at the gate, but no dice. Yesterday morning, i received an email stating - your upgrade is confirmed.

Mrs. b0nd0 and I enjoyed our return trip in 4A and 4B on U fares.

thanks Delta......
Old Jun 13, 2010, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by pmaddock
The concept of an attractive companion upgrade is totally foreign to them.

As such all this fear and loathing is much ado about nothing. Its a token benefit as offered and it going to stay that way - whether you are for or against an NW companion upgrade process its just not gonna happen.
Put me down as another who prefers DL's new companion upgrade program to dear departed NW's. What is an "attractive companion upgrade" to you is very unattractive to others. Giving a Diamond first shot at an upgrade is fine (it's well deserved); giving a Diamond two upgrades, with one of them ahead of other Medallions for a non status companion, not so fine.
You seem to be taking this enhancement, and trying to cast it an another negative towards DL. While there is plenty to criticize about the SM program, not EVERY SINGLE THING is wrong with the program.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 9:26 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Precisely. The loss of that benefit is one reason why it's so easy for us to fly WN & always sit together.

Saving a bundle of money also doesn't hurt.
You can not request the upgrade and still sit together on DL! I'm glad other PM and DMs wives (or husbands) aren't ahead of me - they didn't earn that ranking in the upgrade list!
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by dickinson
Put me down as another who prefers DL's new companion upgrade program to dear departed NW's. What is an "attractive companion upgrade" to you is very unattractive to others. Giving a Diamond first shot at an upgrade is fine (it's well deserved); giving a Diamond two upgrades, with one of them ahead of other Medallions for a non status companion, not so fine.
You seem to be taking this enhancement, and trying to cast it an another negative towards DL. While there is plenty to criticize about the SM program, not EVERY SINGLE THING is wrong with the program.
Actually I really wasn't trying to take a position pro or con on the old NW model. Its attractiveness really basically depends on the individual point of view - sort of glass half empty/half full sort of a thing. My best guess is that most of the vocal traffic is against the NW model - if there is one thing I've consistently observed - the typical DL Medallion is very much in a zero sum game mindset and does a very good Gollum imitation - "The Precious upgrade is MINE!" Whether it was back in the days of 'real Skyteam' when they talked about sharing upgrades like CO/NW used to do or sharing upgrades with AS this year that theme seems to come out quite strongly. It isn't about new opportunities to upgrade on a partner or more options with SO travel - its about protecting what we have and maybe that's a commentary in itself.

Not that I'm not in favor of the thing - I'd really rather they didn't bother with this and work on something that really matters (e.g. actually fix the dang award calendar). Seriously - if you are traveling with your SO are you really going to play upgrade lotto with thier seating? The last thing I want to do is hold out the hope of an upgrade to someone when the chances are so small - that amounts to a tease and I don't like teasing people. Moreover its going to add to the gate lice issues, increase yet another variable in the much criticized GA processing, and so on. As I share at least some of the misgivings about messing with the Medallion upgrade windows I'd really prefer that they just remove this benefit in favor of something that can be taken care of up front (e.g. letting us upgrade companions on the same iten using miles and/or a tax at lower classes and alike) or just remove it in favor of letting Medallions have more FC award inventory on the same iten. (preferably not having to have the same PNR - I like flying rev while flying my wife on miles).

My real point though was that DL hasn't announced doing it 'old NW style' and any speculation about DL going that way borders on fantasy - its just not part of the DL mindset. I don't think its necessarily wrong - it seems to align with the desires of the Medallion customer which is as it should be.

All this hand-wringing really is much ado about nothing. You can stop worrying about a hobbit stealing your upgrade - DL has made no such thing possible.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 12:48 pm

Thanks for the posting

Just wanna say thanks to this posting!

I am a Diamond and am traveling with my cousin, who is just a SM and no status. We are going from LGA to PBI for the July 4th weekend. I bought the tickets together thinking that she will have to be in the same reservation in order to qualify for the companion upgrade privilege, and thought that we would clear at my window.

However earlier this week, my upgrade was not clear and for a leisure route and a F cabin with 6 more seats, I am wondering why my upgrade is not clear. Now I know why! I should have separate the booking! Anyway, it is okay and we both have the exit row seats on the A319 going there and up, so we will be fine in exit row Y. F on A319s is not that big of a deal.

I don't think I agree with the system completely but understand argument from both sides. At least I have a better idea on my upgrade chance now and now how to handle companion upgrades in the future especially with non-elite friends/family!

Thanks,
Carfield

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.