Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Here's good news on Companion Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2010, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Here's good news on Companion Upgrades

Previously customers traveling with a non-medallion companion had to be booked in K class or higher to be eligible for a complimentary upgrade. Well...no longer. That restriction is gone and medallion members traveling with a non-medallion companion are eligible for complimentary upgrades in ANY revenue fare class. Existing reservations will now be eligible for companion upgrades on L,U,T fares, but you MUST call in and request the upgrade.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Are you sure?

This is what's on DL.com as of this morning

Travel Companion Upgrades for Medallion Members
The Medallion® member and the traveling companion must fly together on the same flights.
The traveling companion must be a SkyMiles® member.
Upgrades will be confirmed using the automated upgrade process based on seat availability, time before departure, fare class purchased, and the lower of the two SkyMiles membership levels.
Upgrades will be confirmed for both passengers at the same time. The automated upgrade process will not clear upgrade requests for one passenger with the other still on request.
Upgrades are not valid for companions who are general SkyMiles members and are booked in the L, U or T fare classes.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 5:21 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond
Delta website does not support this. Where did you find that information?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 5:26 am

Programs: DL PM, CO PE
Please provide reference

This claim is not supported by the Delta web site or any communication i have received from Delta. Can you kindly cite your source for this information? Email? Web link?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 5:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
OHDL1 reference is an internal memo. I'm sure SMI will follow up in the near future.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zsmith2
OHDL1 reference is an internal memo. I'm sure SMI will follow up in the near future.
Yep...sorry for the confusion. Guess I should know better than to jump the gun. Live and learn. So much negativity I thought a positive might be good news. Info came out just 4 or so hours ago. Guess the public information hasn't caught up yet.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 5:49 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Great news! Thanks for the heads-up ^
Old Jun 9, 2010, 6:23 am

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
Excellent! Another small give back on a perk taken away.

Thanks OHDL1 for the update. How's "Ready-Reserve" life? I think that's what you called it.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 6:32 am

People - since when is delta.com a reliable source of information? OHDL1 has stated that he works for DL many times - and would not waste his time posting if this was not accurate.

Thanks for the update.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blank Sheet
Excellent! Another small give back on a perk taken away.

Thanks OHDL1 for the update. How's "Ready-Reserve" life? I think that's what you called it.
Thanks for asking. Doin' well. Working at the ticket counter. Haven't much actual ticketing experience since I was a Red Coat/Supvr at the gate for the vast majority of my Comair/Regional Elite career. Sooo...working kiosk, taggin' bags, Sky Priority queue help, guarding the checkpoint for too many/too large bags...etc. End up working 3 days (working a double shift on 2 of those days) so I have 4 days off. Hope to do a bit more traveling. Still have yet to meet a FT'er so I can give the secret handshake.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 6:47 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Thanks for the heads up on another small but meaningful piece of good news, OHDL1. I am glad things are working out for you so far.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 7:02 am

Programs: Delta, United
Interesting development. And positive as well as this perk is something I have suggested in the past. I have never understood why Delta restricted upgrades to non LUT fares for both medallion companions and non-medallions. Many times I would have been happy to pay a little extra if the upgrade was a guarantee (at the gate) but why pay the extra fare with no guarantee?

I guess now it will be interesting to see what happens now with the split PNRs.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 7:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Previously customers traveling with a non-medallion companion had to be booked in K class or higher to be eligible for a complimentary upgrade. Well...no longer. That restriction is gone and medallion members traveling with a non-medallion companion are eligible for complimentary upgrades in ANY revenue fare class. Existing reservations will now be eligible for companion upgrades on L,U,T fares, but you MUST call in and request the upgrade.
This is confusing. I thought the rule was that the compoanion could not be flying on a LUT ticket. Now you seem to be saying that previously the Medallion needed to not have a LUT ticket, but you say nothing about the required fare class of the componion, either previously or in the future.

Also, do they still need to be on the same PNR and request the upgrade before going to the airport?

Is the change effective immediately--i.e., with today's flights?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 7:24 am

Programs: Skyteam
What about comp upgrades for award tickets?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 7:27 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Programs: SkyMiles
Yes...we can confirm this. Look to delta.com/whatsahead for more information on this today.

We hope you enjoy this one as we have recieved a lot of feedback on it over time and want you to know that we hear your comments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.