Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Here's good news on Companion Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2010, 7:33 am

Great news. Thanks!
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:06 am

Any word on how the logistics of this works? Does the companion need to be on the same PNR as the elite? In the old days, NW Golds could upgrade companions at the gate even if they were on a different PNR, while NW Plats got upgrades at their window with one companion on the same PNR.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:08 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Thanks for asking. Doin' well. Working at the ticket counter. Haven't much actual ticketing experience since I was a Red Coat/Supvr at the gate for the vast majority of my Comair/Regional Elite career. Sooo...working kiosk, taggin' bags, Sky Priority queue help, guarding the checkpoint for too many/too large bags...etc. End up working 3 days (working a double shift on 2 of those days) so I have 4 days off. Hope to do a bit more traveling. Still have yet to meet a FT'er so I can give the secret handshake.
Glad to hear you are doing well. ^ Seems that CVG is continuing to shrink slowly, hope you can hang in there!

David
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SkyMilesInsider
Yes...we can confirm this. Look to delta.com/whatsahead for more information on this today.

We hope you enjoy this one as we have recieved a lot of feedback on it over time and want you to know that we hear your comments.
^^ Nice! This will come in handy with Mrs Ross
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:19 am

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
Yes...we can confirm this. Look to delta.com/whatsahead for more information on this today.

We hope you enjoy this one as we have recieved a lot of feedback on it over time and want you to know that we hear your comments.
SMI, thank you, but you know what tons of us are far more interested in:

1. Fixing the SWU's
2. Increasing low-mileage award availability

In both areas DL's product falls pretty close to last among your major competitors. None of these little give-backs is going to make people forget #1 and #2.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC

SMI, thanks for listening and implementing. Would love to see PM/DM companions UG'd at the 5 day window too, but I know that's a big debate.

Originally Posted by mike_plat

1. Fixing the SWU's

In both areas DL's product falls pretty close to last among your major competitors. None of these little give-backs is going to make people forget #1 and #2.
+1. Please fix these first, and the award calendar. As of today I think it's still pretty broke.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:42 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by mike_plat

1. Fixing the SWU's

OK - time for me to be pessimistic. My thinking is that DL is trying to tweak the edges to see if they can head off the gathering wave is dissatisfaction. This move cost DL little to nothing - what's a few more names on the upgrade wait-list. Similarly the tweak to the award changes was in this vain.

Alternately this could be the SM program people changing what they have in thier purview.

I'm guessing that they would really prefer to avoid a real change like the award inventory or real SWUs - both would impact their core rev mgmt methodology and require rev mgmt to give ground. My belief is that they are the rulers of the roost at DL which makes it the core issue.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:51 am
Suspended

DL Upgrades

Originally Posted by skchin
What about comp upgrades for award tickets?
Sure had a nice recent experience of an upgrade to BE for my wife and me from an award Y ticket from JFK to Berlin.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by pmaddock
My thinking is that DL is trying to tweak the edges to see if they can head off the gathering wave is dissatisfaction.
This is exactly how I see it. I think it's too late though. The wave won't die until they fix the most important problems to the customers--problems that their competitors don't have relatively. I just tried booking an award trip to South America in January on DL. Nothing practical but Medium level or High. Come on. The cabins are ALMOST WIDE OPEN. There are several options on Continental at the low level, on the other hand.

In many regards, to people who flew mostly NW, these givebacks only re-advertise DL's blundering strategy.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
Sure had a nice recent experience of an upgrade to BE for my wife and me from an award Y ticket from JFK to Berlin.
That was almost certainly an Operational Upgrade, not part of the SkyMiles program.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by pmaddock
OK - time for me to be pessimistic. My thinking is that DL is trying to tweak the edges to see if they can head off the gathering wave is dissatisfaction.

Without question Delta must see the 600 pound gorilla in the room with UA and CO coming together. Delta is going to have a serious problem on their hands outside of their core markets.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: DL DM, CO PE, WN, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Thanks OHDL1! I have a trip with my wife next month and this would be nice. The dilemma now is that our upgrades are tied together, and since the companion upgrade is last to clear, we might both be sitting in back.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by humanoid94
Without question Delta must see the 600 pound gorilla in the room with UA and CO coming together. Delta is going to have a serious problem on their hands outside of their core markets.
Oh, I don't think it's that. They are simply finally listening to us.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 9:20 am

I just flew yesterday in the back of the plane with companion...me diamond...wife no status...

If my reading is correct, her lack of status gets us to the very back of upgrade list (we were on Q class phl-msp)

Old days on NWA just used my status for companion...I miss NWA.

I now call my elite status "cubic zirconia".
Old Jun 9, 2010, 9:25 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by skchin
What about comp upgrades for award tickets?
That might come in September. But it begs another question - what about upgrades of companions traveling on award tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.