Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

From the backseat CSA's of FlyerTalk: Ask Dr. Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

From the backseat CSA's of FlyerTalk: Ask Dr. Delta

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2010, 12:40 am

Programs: DL AA UA
Not to hijack, but any news on DL instituing a BUMP program like NW had?
Old Jun 5, 2010, 1:05 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Hello Dr. Delta,

I have a question regarding overselling and OpUps. Are there any rules in place on who is about to be upgraded? In my time fling with DL I have seen a lot of different approaches, from completely random to somewhat organised (ny medallion level).
Old Jun 5, 2010, 1:13 am

not sure if this is within scope but i've wondered what the difference is as far as available information about a flight to the ticket counter agent, vs gate agent, vs sky club agent, vs sms phone agent, etc.

it happens to me almost every flight that i get some info such as 'you are the only DM on the flight', or 'you are #3 on the u/g list', from either the SMS or SC agents, and then roughly 90 seconds later at the gate i'm told there are 2 other dms but i'm #1 for the u/g. it makes me wonder how the data sharing works between the screens all these folks are looking at. there can't be that much up to interpretation, right ?

thanks for answering our questions !
Old Jun 5, 2010, 1:21 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by skoker
Neither, they are done by hand.
Can you explain this further? It always seems that it's done by the system or the agent says "I just have to process them..." What do you mean "by hand"?

I really wish people would stop spreading around this rumor, but I can see why. You are NOT removed from the agents upgrade list, but you do fall off the GIDS "Upgrade List" screen.

The agent will see that you're still on the upgrade list, but it will show you with an "on" status. To upgrade you, they have to deplane you in the computer, reseat you, and then show you on again. GIDS sees that you're on, and says "well hey, he's on board and cant see this so I'm taking him off of my list!"
Thank you so much for finally answering this... I think we all didn't know what was going on and now we do... Seriously, thanks a ton!!
Old Jun 5, 2010, 5:43 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Delayed departure last night so delay questions are popping into my head...

When there are delays for whatever reason, how much information is readily available to GAs? Do you have to "dig" to get real information (call multiple departments, access different systems) or is it easily available to the average GA?

Just how frustrating is it when you know the posted departure time just isn't going to happen but you have no choice but repeat the bogus departure time? Such as at T-25 and the inbound hasn't arrived yet (seems to happen at BUF a lot), or when its T-15 and you aren't even close to boarding but the departure time stays the same?

Regarding the times or information on the red LED electronic message displays behind the typical podium (not GIDS), is that information controlled and updated by ops in a far away land or does the GA have any control on it?

There are many times when I know it isn't going out on time and I know the GA knows it isn't going out on time but you have to stand there enduring the multiple 10 minute changes to the departure time... I have often imagined the GA is just as frustrated as we are, or maybe even more so knowing there is no way they can dispatch a flight by the posted departure time. Do GAs hate the mis-information as much as we do?

Thanks for starting the thread^
Old Jun 5, 2010, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Thumbs up Thanks, invaluable thread

I've been reading this thread with a lot of 'aahs'. I'd like to thank skoker for taking the time to explain things. The clarification alone about GIDS & upgrade list, bag check work-arounds, etc. is very valuable.

And thanks to everyone else for keeping this thread on track and asking great questions.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 11:20 am
Original Poster

I'm stuck at work today but trust me, I'm reading and answering your questions and I'll get to all of them tonight!
Old Jun 5, 2010, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by NWA012
This is true, Deltamatic will not allow a bag to be checked after 30 minutes; there are ways around this.. It's in the works to adopt the PMNW voluntary separation late check policy - waiting on the technology.
Does this mean there is a chance that Delta will start allowing SDC with checked baggage? That would be great!

David
Old Jun 5, 2010, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by redtailshark
Mikey, but who's saying that? I saw no condemnation of SM on this thread.

You will notice, I didn't provide any rating of DL SM on that scale. The data is only interesting when we have input from stakeholders in touch with customers and can then compare it with customer data.

There's no need for anyone to be frightened of hard data. It helps everyone reach better decisions. It may reaffirm widespread beliefs, or established wisdom, or it could challenge it.
Problem is that your question is asking a group of employees that only have a small portion of understanding about the whole SM concept for DL. My wife (who has worked similar positions to Skoker) basically responded to me, when I asked her your question, with a response of why does it matter to me? Her response wasnt a rude response but one of a serious question as her interaction with frequent fliers is limited to their current situation that the said flyer is in.

Most of her perception of the DL SM program is based on 3 major factors
1) upgrades
2) priority boarding
3) access to preferred seats
Anything other than those three facets are usually dealt with by phone agents who deal with the majority of the current (IMHO) frustrations with the program (ie awards).

Its an awesome question but asking this question to a front-line employee who doesnt deal with the award portion of the DL SM program is going to get skewed answers.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by happydad100
Thanks, stoker

A few questions on oversold flights.

1) Is there anyway to know in advance how many my flight is oversold?
There is, but there's so many variables that I'd respond to your question with a "no". Only really know for certain about an hour/t-30 as to if you have an oversale situation or not

2) In an oversell situation, do you process the DBC's before you make sure all the passengers that are "internet checkins" are really there?
Take a list of volunteers and after the flight is dispatched with passengers that had to be bumped, and do compenstation after. Usually your CV's are obvious to tell when they aren't showing up but come do pull off a miracle. You never know if somebody gets DBC'd until aircraft closeds.

3) Is the "Volunteer" list first-come first serve? Or do other factors come into play?
Yes, it should be.

4) What percent of the time on an oversold flight do you get enough volunteers before you have to actively "recruit" them?
Depends on the station and the passengers, sometimes you'll have those people who will knock people over and other times you'll have flights where everybody wants to go.

Originally Posted by golfingboy
First of all, thank you for your time and willingness to answer our inquiring minds. ^

I have one quick question:

What is the difference between a regular GA, red-coat GA, and the lead GA in their abilities to do upgrades, change itineraries, and flexibility in "procedures"?

I.E. some reported that a red-coat can easily override the "upgrade not eligible" message and upgrade customers while the regular GA was powerless to do so. I was told a red-coat has more flexibility on how they do things from management than a regular GA, etc.

So could you shed some light on the key differences between those three?

Thanks
Red Coats have no rules, they are there for FPOC reasons and they are empowered to do anything (fair and reasonable) to satisify a customer.

Originally Posted by NWA012
That way is now restricted to an SU sign; there is an easier way now.
Yes and no

Originally Posted by ADLFO
Not to hijack, but any news on DL instituing a BUMP program like NW had?
Not that I know of, Delta was opposed to it last I checked because the revenue accounting folks weren't thrilled about it.

Originally Posted by c_d
Hello Dr. Delta,

I have a question regarding overselling and OpUps. Are there any rules in place on who is about to be upgraded? In my time fling with DL I have seen a lot of different approaches, from completely random to somewhat organised (ny medallion level).
Rules? No. Guidelines? No. It depends on gate agent from gate agent, and honestly it's something that Delta need to institue a policy for.

Originally Posted by decibel08
not sure if this is within scope but i've wondered what the difference is as far as available information about a flight to the ticket counter agent, vs gate agent, vs sky club agent, vs sms phone agent, etc.

it happens to me almost every flight that i get some info such as 'you are the only DM on the flight', or 'you are #3 on the u/g list', from either the SMS or SC agents, and then roughly 90 seconds later at the gate i'm told there are 2 other dms but i'm #1 for the u/g. it makes me wonder how the data sharing works between the screens all these folks are looking at. there can't be that much up to interpretation, right ?

thanks for answering our questions !
TC, DSC, and GA's all have access to the same information, however things like upgrade lists are in a few different places and I've seen it myself on the frontline that a DM could fall down on the list easily. Usually it's a SDC issue, or an IROP that is reordering priorities when pax get moved over to your flight. Don't fault the agents because they are telling you what's on the screen in front of them, they all have the same info, and you might think that one agent is lying to you or whatever, where in reality the data is changing in real time.

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Can you explain this further? It always seems that it's done by the system or the agent says "I just have to process them..." What do you mean "by hand"?
There's a list, and you sit on that list waiting for an upgrade until the gate agent has the opportunity to manually reseat you. It's not difficult but can be time consuming because the computer tends to lag a bit as data from the graphical interface used. It's gotta take what you do there and then run the terminal commands in the background, and then get the results and present them to the agent manually.

Originally Posted by bwhite
Delayed departure last night so delay questions are popping into my head...

When there are delays for whatever reason, how much information is readily available to GAs? Do you have to "dig" to get real information (call multiple departments, access different systems) or is it easily available to the average GA?
It depends on the dispatcher. Some will put a lot of information out there for the agent, others won't put any at all. Smart agents, like I was, will look as the ship for that flight's line of flight and try and trace the delay if there's an upline delay somewhere.

Just how frustrating is it when you know the posted departure time just isn't going to happen but you have no choice but repeat the bogus departure time? Such as at T-25 and the inbound hasn't arrived yet (seems to happen at BUF a lot), or when its T-15 and you aren't even close to boarding but the departure time stays the same?
You musta been at BUF when I wasn't working

Regarding the times or information on the red LED electronic message displays behind the typical podium (not GIDS), is that information controlled and updated by ops in a far away land or does the GA have any control on it?
Those things are useless, I hated them. You have to update them by hand, at the gate. Far away in ops is a pipe dream, and I really wish that every station would get GIDS and gate audio.

[quote]There are many times when I know it isn't going out on time and I know the GA knows it isn't going out on time but you have to stand there enduring the multiple 10 minute changes to the departure time... I have often imagined the GA is just as frustrated as we are, or maybe even more so knowing there is no way they can dispatch a flight by the posted departure time. Do GAs hate the mis-information as much as we do?QUOTE]

It is frustrating for both partied, even more so when pax yell at the gate agent for not sharing information that they legimately don't have.

Originally Posted by DiverDave
Does this mean there is a chance that Delta will start allowing SDC with checked baggage? That would be great!

David
I woundn't think so

Last edited by iTanNicNic; Jun 5, 2010 at 8:52 pm Reason: One of the quote tags took a mechanical
Old Jun 5, 2010, 4:01 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott
Flights 1217 & 2416 (June 26 & 30)

Dr. D, thank you for taking the time to field questions - especially the silly ones I'm about to ask :

1. I purchased round trip DTW-LAS tickets for my family late (45 days before departure) and surprisingly booked Rows 36 & 24 respectively for the 3 of us. I've read some posters experienced seat assignment changes upon check-in. Can you tell me what circumstances could cause that?

2. My Skymiles are 7,258; my husband's are 3,500. We're considering transferring his to mine before our flight, but wonder how beneficial would it really be.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LadyPhoenix
Dr. D, thank you for taking the time to field questions - especially the silly ones I'm about to ask :

1. I purchased round trip DTW-LAS tickets for my family late (45 days before departure) and surprisingly booked Rows 36 & 24 respectively for the 3 of us. I've read some posters experienced seat assignment changes upon check-in. Can you tell me what circumstances could cause that?
It's Delta haha. Usually it's not upon checkin (like not the moment you check in) but sometime between purchase and check in, usually day of departure. Now that Delta is a single entity, and crossfleeting is occurring, equipment swaps are happening left and right. Throw in some IROPS and your spiffy 75X could turn into a 75N, which is set up way different. Therefore, seats are going to change.

The good part is, seat changes are now handled differently as of a few weeks ago, so with any luck seating will be a bit better during a change of equip

2. My Skymiles are 7,258; my husband's are 3,500. We're considering transferring his to mine before our flight, but wonder how beneficial would it really be

Don't waste your time or money. Really not worth it at all.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Plat;

Thank you so much for finally answering this... I think we all didn't know what was going on and now we do... Seriously, thanks a ton!!
I wish this were automatic - I don't like wondering whether the gate agent will forget about me.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 6:25 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Just how hard is it to stand at the podium being blasted by some irate PAX about this or that which is completely out of your control?

I often see them ranting like a child while a massive thunderstorm lights up the sky outside the window or the inbound A/C hasn't arrived yet Mr./Mrs. red faced ignoramus "tears a strip" out of your soul as if you created the delay that will cause them to mis-connect/miss the wedding/lose $10M on that deal/miss the interview/get divorced/etc.

After all, don't YOU realize, haven't YOU any clue, DYKW they are?

You do realize they are going to file a complaint on you and NEVER fly this lousy, good for nothing airline EVER again! (and it's all YOUR fault)
Old Jun 6, 2010, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
First, I think this thread is of great value (can't imagine why someone said otherwise) so thanks a ton to skoker, NWA012, zmith, etc (all of you DL insiders).

+1, although the BF UG process is still a mystery. Does DL provide guidance on HOW to handle a seat that you don't clear until after someone has boarded. In other words, you just cleared two seats and #1/2 has boarded but #3/4 has not. Is it up to the GA to decide?

Next question, for VDB what exactly is the process for DL? Sometimes I've seen them ask for volunteers and the first 1-2 people they get I've seen some GA's give them a VDB and rebook them on the spot. Then I'm next and they take my name down and say they may or may not need me. Are there rules that you are supposed to wait until the door closes, or do GA's have flexiblity?

Not that I know of, Delta was opposed to it last I checked because the revenue accounting folks weren't thrilled about it.
That's silly, it brings more revenue to DL so you'd think they would want it. I thought BUMP was still alive as it could be done in DLmatic and/or PARS is still there albeit going away shortly. Is BUMP still alive?

TC, DSC, and GA's all have access to the same information, however things like upgrade lists are in a few different places and I've seen it myself on the frontline that a DM could fall down on the list easily.
I think (from peeking at some PAX manifests) you can tell the following: elite status, MM status, corporate customer, special meal request, and fare (type and amount). Anything else? Anything else that you look for in op-up situations?

Those things are useless, I hated them. You have to update them by hand, at the gate. Far away in ops is a pipe dream, and I really wish that every station would get GIDS and gate audio.
Did you ever work with PARS too? What is the real scoop on why DL took DLmatic over PARS? I've heard many stories and would love to get the real scoop.

Originally Posted by bwhite
Just how hard is it to stand at the podium being blasted by some irate PAX about this or that which is completely out of your control?

I often see them ranting like a child while a massive thunderstorm lights up the sky outside the window or the inbound A/C hasn't arrived yet Mr./Mrs. red faced ignoramus "tears a strip" out of your soul as if you created the delay that will cause them to mis-connect/miss the wedding/lose $10M on that deal/miss the interview/get divorced/etc.
How would you feel if another flyer came up to angry flyer #1 and told them to layoff because they were a jerk? I've wanted to do this a few times, but simply just went up to the GA after said jerk left and told them they were doing a good job to keep their cool.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.