Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

From the backseat CSA's of FlyerTalk: Ask Dr. Delta

Old Jun 3, 2010, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Denizens of the SkyMiles forum:

It's been a while since one of these threads has come around, so I'd like to open the floor to questions about Delta and the "day in the life" kinda stuff. I've noticed a lot of "Backseat Agents" popping up around the forums, so I'm wondering what kind of questions y'all have for a former "Dr. Delta", as I was known in my station.

Rules:
-No security stuff
-No personal questions about people
-Be reasonable, don't ask questions you know I can't/shouldn't answer.

With that said, what do y'all have to ask me?
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Do you know anyone named Shena N. Igans ? If so, how often does she drop in?

Please feel free to tell me that this violates rules #2 and 3 above .
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GBadger
Do you know anyone named Shena N. Igans ? If so, how often does she drop in?

Please feel free to tell me that this violates rules #2 and 3 above .
I'm glad you brought that up actually, I'm hoping to uncover some "S" that people mistakenly think is "S" when it's really not.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 6:16 am

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite
Originally Posted by skoker
I'm glad you brought that up actually, I'm hoping to uncover some "S" that people mistakenly think is "S" when it's really not.
Then this has IMO just become another wasted thread.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 7:13 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by MM/PM widget
Then this has IMO just become another wasted thread.
Why? He is taking the time to offer to answer your questions with out speculation.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is it true that when pax are upgraded at the gate that the agents randomly assign seats? Why cant the computer do it taking into account one's seating preference as registered in the DL profile. My preference is window, and I 90% of the time end up upgraded into an aisle with others receiving windows. Im not complaining as it's nice to get the upgrade, but just wondering how the process works when at the gate.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is it true that when pax are upgraded at the gate that the agents randomly assign seats? Why cant the computer do it taking into account one's seating preference as registered in the DL profile. My preference is window, and I 90% of the time end up upgraded into an aisle with others receiving windows. Im not complaining as it's nice to get the upgrade, but just wondering how the process works when at the gate.
I concur. Especially as I prefer an aisle and 90% of the time I get a window! Maybe I should fly with you and we can just switch?
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:13 am

But conspiracy theories that Delta/Skymiles/Delta Agents are out to get them are what help some people wake up in the morning and not get on with their lives.

I want to know this, what takes a GA so long to process a flight? I mean it's just scanning the little boarding passes, right?
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
At the gate upgrades are totally random, and the gate agent has no way of knowing what your pref is. There's two ways it can be done, the traditional click and drag, or if the whole list will clear the computer can auto-assign seats for the truly lazy gate agent.

Originally Posted by WBurcham
I want to know this, what takes a GA so long to process a flight? I mean it's just scanning the little boarding passes, right?
Can you be more specific?

Originally Posted by jeff30189
If you dont like the thread, dont read it and dont post in it. Problem solved.

Dear Dr. Delta:

Is management aware how non-competitive they are in the area of International upgradeable fares and truly useful SWU benefits? If so, do they care and do you think there will be a favorable change in the near future?
That's out of my field of knowledge and a bit more than this thread can handle, sorry.

Originally Posted by WBurcham
You are asking a former gate agent.... not trying to be rude but you are barking up the wrong tree.
Hey now, former gate/counter/baggage service agent AND former ramp/ops agent. And cabin cleaner too. I've pretty much done it all.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hey now, former gate/counter/baggage service agent AND former ramp/ops agent. And cabin cleaner too. I've pretty much done it all.
Can we ask what you're doing in your post-DL life?

More to the point, especially since you've done everything (as I suspect many staff do at outstations), how exactly are the check in, bag drop, and boarding deadlines counted? In particular,

If connecting from domestic to international, must I check in and drop bag (at most airports) 30 minutes before the scheduled departure of the first (domestic connection) flight or is it one hour (say, for BE)? Does the same rule apply for showing my passport/documents or can this be done up to one hour before the departure of the international segment?

Does board by T-15 mean on board and in one's seat, in the gate area, in line to board, boarding pass scanned (so either on board or in jetway)? A really clear definition of the official rule would help, although I suspect that different GAs have their own interpretations.

Same questions, but suppose the flight is posting a delay. Can I safely do this stuff 30 or 60 minutes from the new posted time for the flight? What if the deadline passes before the flight is officially delayed? Suppose on domestic, I arrive at counter at T-25 and the flight is already delayed one hour versus I arrive at T-25 when the flight is posted as on time and then at T-24, the flight is delayed an hour. Can I still make it or will the DL system keep me off the flight?
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:49 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Does the Gate Agent really have to "push a button" to process upgrades at the "30 minutes before flight" time or are they done automatically? It seems that depending on the airport/station, this is different?

Also, why are some "gate upgrades" processed right at the 30 minute window and some done as far as 45-50 minutes in advance?

Lastly, I have heard from some people that when you board, you are taken off the upgrade list, but just recently (a few weeks ago), the gate agent came on board to tell me that a first class seat was available and it's mine if I wanted it since I was #1 on the list (I had to turn it down since I was with my wife)... How is that possible if I am "off the list"?
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Dear Dr. Delta. I'm a REALLY low-level "frequent flyer". This means that I'm usually stuck with seat 37E on the MD-88, between the two sumo wrestlers with weak kidneys.

I realize I'll never clear to FC. I know you're clearing a bunch of DMs (and the occasional PM) into FC, thus freeing up their very nice, desirable seats. How can I get you to reassign me to one of those seats when they free up?
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can we ask what you're doing in your post-DL life?
As much as I wish I was still with an airline, I now manage a RadioShack haha, it gives me the scheduling flexibility that I really need at this point in my life.

I'll be back someday.

More to the point, especially since you've done everything (as I suspect many staff do at outstations), how exactly are the check in, bag drop, and boarding deadlines counted? In particular,

If connecting from domestic to international, must I check in and drop bag (at most airports) 30 minutes before the scheduled departure of the first (domestic connection) flight or is it one hour (say, for BE)? Does the same rule apply for showing my passport/documents or can this be done up to one hour before the departure of the international segment?
The rules apply to your first segment. The wording is vague by Delta, but you only have to be at the counter 31 minute before the first flight of your trip, regardless of were you're headed.

Note, however, that bag check is a "no exceptions" 30 minute thing (hard coded) and it's up to the gate agent as to when you can stop checking in at the counter. I used to religiously do it at t-minus 29:59, especially on oversold flights. It was tradition at my station to leave it open for counter checkin (or to temp give it back) for HVC's and F pax.

Does board by T-15 mean on board and in one's seat, in the gate area, in line to board, boarding pass scanned (so either on board or in jetway)? A really clear definition of the official rule would help, although I suspect that different GAs have their own interpretations.
You've got it. The T-15 rule is a guideline, but the magic number is T-10, when you can shut the door. T-15, I suspect, is stated like that so that everybody is on board by T-10 and not just showing up at T-10. I closed the boarding door at T-10 and usually there was a line in the jetbridge so as they boarded I could finalize my numbers for the crew, input the fuel load by tank and make sure that my tolerance was correct, wait for ramp/ops to do the AWABS/ALIS (weight and balance stuff), and then send my numbers and get the flight attendants paperwork and head down the JB. I usually closed the cabin door as soon as the last pax stepped on, it took skill but it was fun to test yourself.

Same questions, but suppose the flight is posting a delay. Can I safely do this stuff 30 or 60 minutes from the new posted time for the flight? What if the deadline passes before the flight is officially delayed? Suppose on domestic, I arrive at counter at T-25 and the flight is already delayed one hour versus I arrive at T-25 when the flight is posted as on time and then at T-24, the flight is delayed an hour. Can I still make it or will the DL system keep me off the flight?
If the flight delays before T-30, you can check bags and check in as long as your PNR knows there is a delay on your first flight, which sometimes takes a few seconds to catch, and sometimes a small delay (of a handful of minutes) won't be posted at all because often flights can get out before their ETD's.

If it delays after T-30, depending on like 50 variables you should be able to check in, it sometimes just takes a crafty counter agent to do it.

Try a kiosk first, in any situation. They've loaded a bunch of great software enhancements that make kiosks far less useless than before.

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Does the Gate Agent really have to "push a button" to process upgrades at the "30 minutes before flight" time or are they done automatically? It seems that depending on the airport/station, this is different?
Neither, they are done by hand.

Also, why are some "gate upgrades" processed right at the 30 minute window and some done as far as 45-50 minutes in advance?
Depends on seat availability and how big the upgrade list is. If you know everybody will be UG'd you can really clear whenever you want. Ultimately, it comes down to the agent, but most will clear early to save time later.

Lastly, I have heard from some people that when you board, you are taken off the upgrade list, but just recently (a few weeks ago), the gate agent came on board to tell me that a first class seat was available and it's mine if I wanted it since I was #1 on the list (I had to turn it down since I was with my wife)... How is that possible if I am "off the list"?
I really wish people would stop spreading around this rumor, but I can see why. You are NOT removed from the agents upgrade list, but you do fall off the GIDS "Upgrade List" screen.

The agent will see that you're still on the upgrade list, but it will show you with an "on" status. To upgrade you, they have to deplane you in the computer, reseat you, and then show you on again. GIDS sees that you're on, and says "well hey, he's on board and cant see this so I'm taking him off of my list!"

Originally Posted by jimrpa
Dear Dr. Delta. I'm a REALLY low-level "frequent flyer". This means that I'm usually stuck with seat 37E on the MD-88, between the two sumo wrestlers with weak kidneys.
If you're stuck between people in 37E somebody is in the thrust reverser because 37E is a window seat.

I realize I'll never clear to FC. I know you're clearing a bunch of DMs (and the occasional PM) into FC, thus freeing up their very nice, desirable seats. How can I get you to reassign me to one of those seats when they free up?
Ask. That's the best answer for you. Be pleasant and don't give the agent a hard time. A smile and going into it realizing that the gate agent has a lot to do by the time clearing is done, and DL places a lot of pressure on gate agents to get everybody out on time, will get you a long way.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:06 pm

The rules apply to your first segment. The wording is vague by Delta, but you only have to be at the counter 31 minute before the first flight of your trip, regardless of were you're headed.

Note, however, that bag check is a "no exceptions" 30 minute thing (hard coded) and it's up to the gate agent as to when you can stop checking in at the counter. I used to religiously do it at t-minus 29:59, especially on oversold flights. It was tradition at my station to leave it open for counter checkin (or to temp give it back) for HVC's and F pax.

Care to speculate about why that's hard coded? PMNW they'd give you a nasty look and slap a voluntary separation tag on it. It was your problem to pick-up the bag when it got the final destination but that was about the extent of it.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 4:32 pm

Skoker, why do gate agents lie? And to passengers that know they're being lied to no less...as in 'I know you know that you're lying to me, and you know I know'. Case in point, I've been upgraded on award tickets, twice, without asking to be. Other times I have asked and been told no by dumb agents who add "there is no way the computer will allow me to". BS. And before anyone blasts me for an illegal upgrade, up front seats were going out empty anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.