Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Domestic Battlefield upgrade: Which is higher? "new" Systemwide or Segment upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic Battlefield upgrade: Which is higher? "new" Systemwide or Segment upgrade

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2010, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold

DM member, booking JFK SFO and, of course, there are zero upgrades open even though the seatmap is nearly empty.

Anyway, I can either use my fancy new and improved systemwide upgrades or the regular domestic upgrades. I dont care which one, just want best odds of a BE seat.

Anyone know if one sits higher in the pecking order? (Understanding that DMs, by fare basis are already at the top?)

Thanks!
Old May 7, 2010, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by mizzou miles
DM member, booking JFK SFO and, of course, there are zero upgrades open even though the seatmap is nearly empty.

Anyway, I can either use my fancy new and improved systemwide upgrades or the regular domestic upgrades. I dont care which one, just want best odds of a BE seat.

Anyone know if one sits higher in the pecking order? (Understanding that DMs, by fare basis are already at the top?)

Thanks!
I have been SWU wait listed on several flights on LAX-JFK-LAX and have only received the status upgrade. On these routes they are not releasing SWU availability on the day of the flight.
Old May 7, 2010, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
These upgrades don't compete strictly speaking, as they come from different inventory classes: G for SWU versus V for EUA into domestic FC, although GAs might pool all empty FC seats when processing the BF upgrade list. I don't think a SWU would trump a higher status elite at the gate, but I don't know for sure. IME which is limited with DL, G tends to open up early for certain flights and never for others. I suspect a good strategy is to use SWUs to strategically upgrade elite-heavy flights early when you can, but don't expect to get a late SWU upgrade, especially when a high tier elite can't get EUAed on the flight.

Some other airlines favor those using instruments (or higher instruments) for domestic upgrades, but for the case of DL, one strongly suspects that the SWU program is revenue-positive as it encourages the purchase of (much) more expensive fares. Hence, logically DL should not favor SWU users and should not pull SWUs at the gate if the customer otherwise would have received an EUA. They should want you to retain the SWU and use it for another flight, ideally TATL or TPAC. In fact, if BF upgrading with a SWU requires that the ticket be reissued and the SWU electronically pulled at the gate, I would imagine that a GA would be reluctant to process a SWU for a BF upgrade.

Disclaimer: Much of the above is informed speculation. I hope a DL insider can answer with authority.

Added question: To use a SWU for a domestic day of departure upgrade, must one follow the new procedures for SWU use to upgrade into international BE on the day of departure--i.e., on request list by the day before the flight and request at an airport to transfer to the gate upgrade list a hour before the flight IIRC?

Last edited by MSPeconomist; May 7, 2010 at 11:23 am
Old May 7, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some other airlines favor those using instruments (or higher instruments) for domestic upgrades, but for the case of DL, one strongly suspects that the SWU program is revenue-positive as it encourages the purchase of (much) more expensive fares. Hence, logically DL should not favor SWU users and should not pull SWUs at the gate if the customer otherwise would have received an EUA. They should want you to retain the SWU and use it for another flight, ideally TATL or TPAC. In fact, if BF upgrading with a SWU requires that the ticket be reissued and the SWU electronically pulled at the gate, I would imagine that a GA would be reluctant to process a SWU for a BF upgrade.
While this makes some sense, I think that for a lot of flyers (like myself) there is no chance in us using the SWUs at all if we need to pay ~$3k for an international M fare, where we would consider $500-600 for a domestic K fare.

I would think that DL would want to get an extra $300-400 per BE seat on these flights, but for now I'm happy getting the upgrades on $200 T fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.