Wiki Posts
Search

Nice to fellow Diamonds

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2010, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Sky Miles DM
Nice to fellow Diamonds

Was flying out of MDW other day and had the chance to catch on earlier flight. The agent at checkin was nice enough inform me that FC seat was available on the earlier flight, but only 1 seat was open, and she could give it to me, but that would bump the DM in first postion for the UG. Don't know why she gave be all the info, but rather and take his/her seat, i opted to stay on the later flight for which i was confirmed UG.

Just passing this along. Lets be nice to each other!
Old May 6, 2010, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by liuenci
Was flying out of MDW other day and had the chance to catch on earlier flight. The agent at checkin was nice enough inform me that FC seat was available on the earlier flight, but only 1 seat was open, and she could give it to me, but that would bump the DM in first postion for the UG. Don't know why she gave be all the info, but rather and take his/her seat, i opted to stay on the later flight for which i was confirmed UG.

Just passing this along. Lets be nice to each other!
Were you on a full Y fare? As a PM you should have been behind the DM if you decided to SDC to a different flight.
Old May 6, 2010, 10:18 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
There are many issues with this "claim"...
Old May 6, 2010, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WBurcham
Were you on a full Y fare? As a PM you should have been behind the DM if you decided to SDC to a different flight.
But under DL's current SOP for SDC, there is a good chance that whatever fare the OP was on would have become a full Y (assuming the flight was pretty full). Therefore, they would pretty much automatically be at the top of the list.

I don't like this about the current system (though, admittedly it has worked in my favor before).
Old May 6, 2010, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by GBadger
But under DL's current SOP for SDC, there is a good chance that whatever fare the OP was on would have become a full Y (assuming the flight was pretty full). Therefore, they would pretty much automatically be at the top of the list.

I don't like this about the current system (though, admittedly it has worked in my favor before).
What SOP are you talking about? I've never had myself SDC'd into "Y" and that's very much against the rules. SMS will ensure that you are rebooked into the proper class of service. The only times it's possible (IMHO) to get anything but original class is when you are rebooked at a gate/ticket counter (but more likely the ticket counter will properly rebook).
Old May 6, 2010, 10:53 am

liuenci, still way to go on not taking the seat. We could all be a little nicer to eachother Not much of that going around these days..
Old May 6, 2010, 11:01 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
I was recently flying out of LGA on a Thursday evening; inquired at the SkyClub about catching the flight an hour earlier and was booked on that flight into B class. Suddenly was #1 out of 28 on the UG list with 1 seat available and scored the upgrade. Clearly I'm not as considerate as the OP to my fellow Plats on the list as I gladly accepted my new seat assignment, but I do agree it doesn't seem right (especially since I was on a *gasp* T fare).
Old May 6, 2010, 11:05 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, HH Diamond, MR Lifetime Plat/Titanium, National Exec Elite
What SOP are you talking about? I've never had myself SDC'd into "Y" and that's very much against the rules. SMS will ensure that you are rebooked into the proper class of service. The only times it's possible (IMHO) to get anything but original class is when you are rebooked at a gate/ticket counter (but more likely the ticket counter will properly rebook).
+1

I live on SDC (and therefore my upgrade % is much lower than would have been - often giving up FC upgrade to get home 2+ hours earlier).

I have never been booked into Y on a SDC whether through SMS or at the gate. If SDC and not standby, i find myself on the upgrade list and rarely at the top (I am but a GM).

If Standby, they clear all of the upgrades first, then clear the standbys so i have only once gotten the upgrade while on a Standby for earlier flight.

Only time i have been booked into Y was due to MX cancel and i found my boarding card to read fare class Y.
Old May 6, 2010, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Out of the 4 times I've invoked SDC, I've been rebooked into Y 3 times, both at the gate and over the phone involved...So I guess YMMV.

I suppose the SOP I was talking about was rather a lack of SOP. From my experience, if a flight is close to full, and only Y is available, they will SDC you into Y. Also, if the flight is close to leaving and you're doing it at the gate, they will SDC you into Y.

This policy has always annoyed me, since more times than not I'm NOT SDCing, and am aggravated by the thought of those that are getting put above me on the upgrade list.
Old May 6, 2010, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Phil2016
I was recently flying out of LGA on a Thursday evening; inquired at the SkyClub about catching the flight an hour earlier and was booked on that flight into B class. Suddenly was #1 out of 28 on the UG list with 1 seat available and scored the upgrade. Clearly I'm not as considerate as the OP to my fellow Plats on the list as I gladly accepted my new seat assignment, but I do agree it doesn't seem right (especially since I was on a *gasp* T fare).
This has been my experience, and is what the previous post was based on.
Old May 6, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: Delta Plat
I only SDC at airport to gurantee being SDC'ed into Y if you call they put you into what ever fareclass you are but the GAs with a little flirting you get into Y.

If the GA is a guy you just have to be How bout them "local sports team"

They will even break the rules and SDC you onto a flight you aren't eligible to SDC onto for example a flight 12 hours away instead of 3.

Last edited by HWGeeks; May 6, 2010 at 11:31 am
Old May 6, 2010, 11:35 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
They will even break the rules and SDC you onto a flight you aren't eligible to SDC onto for example a flight 12 hours away instead of 3.
Talk about SOP
Old May 6, 2010, 11:49 am

I only SDC at airport to gurantee being SDC'ed into Y if you call they put you into what ever fareclass you are but the GAs with a little flirting you get into Y.

Originally Posted by fti
Talk about SOP
And an abuser of the system. .... like that makes me hate people sometimes. Then again, some stations (like SFO) will go back and make sure that people are in the proper fare class, even after a Y rebook due to MX.

Those are the type of situations that, repetitively done, trigger audits of skymiles accounts....
Old May 6, 2010, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Aren't you spending an awful lot of time in airports to do it this way? Or do you go to the airport early, change your ticket, and then return later for your flight?

Seriously, I consider it very annoying when DL rebooks people into full Y for convenience because they then go to the top of the list for BF upgrades.

It's even worse when DL does this automatically after IROPs for everyone so that passengers with no status get preference for standby and upgrades. I've seen front cabins full of people on cheap fares who aren't elites (or, in some cases, aren't even SkyMiles members) while at least some PMs sit in back.

DL should follow their own rules and give the upgrades to elites who have earned them fairly.
Old May 6, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
LOL I like pissing people off sometimes :-P

The only times I've been put into Y was after an automatic rebooking (big snowstorm that hit NY in Feb) and a SDC that went crazy at LAX because the flight I was on was overbooked a day after big snow storm that hit DC area.

I was kidding about winking I'm not cute enough to flirt lol I should also learn to use the sarcasim tag.

Last edited by HWGeeks; May 6, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.