Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why can't Delta put a "Channel 9 feature" where we can hear pilots talk to ATC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2010, 12:23 am
Used to be FlyingMedallionDL
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Delta Reserve and 1.2 MM

Hi all,
Hopefully DLInsider can read this. Would it be great if we could have a feature similar to United's "From the FlightDeck Channel 9?" Personally, I find the flight more exciting when listening to pilot's communicate with Air Traffic Controllers. The say turn right, then you feel the G-force of the right bank turn. Pretty cool. It definitely would be a pretty cool feature. Plus, it will put some competition with United.
Old May 6, 2010, 12:27 am

Programs: DL - Diamond Medallion - 2 Million Miler; Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson GOLD. ParknGo loves me
Originally Posted by FlyingMedallionDL
Hi all,
Hopefully DLInsider can read this. Would it be great if we could have a feature similar to United's "From the FlightDeck Channel 9?" Personally, I find the flight more exciting when listening to pilot's communicate with Air Traffic Controllers. The say turn right, then you feel the G-force of the right bank turn. Pretty cool. It definitely would be a pretty cool feature. Plus, it will put some competition with United.
Agreed. It's a treat when I have to take a UA flight.

Is it working on all their flights again ? After the "underwear bomber" fiasco - it was not enabled on some of the flights that I was on. I guess for the same reason some of the AVOD Moving Maps were disabled.
Old May 6, 2010, 12:41 am
Used to be FlyingMedallionDL
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Delta Reserve and 1.2 MM
Smile

United has it back on all flights. Definitely agree with you that it would be a treat if it was on Delta. We now have Gogo, HBO, PTVs, why not sweeten the pot with a "pilot to air traffic controller" audio channel?

I sent a suggestion email to Delta under the Contact Us link on the upper right of the delta.com site. maybe we should all send a suggestion about it. like I said before, it would be a pretty cool feature. it won't hurt to try suggesting, right?
Old May 6, 2010, 3:43 am

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Yeah... that was the best part of flying on UA... And good idea... Why not ask.
Old May 6, 2010, 4:04 am

I've asked Delta since 2002 and have had correspondence with someone at TechOps and a pilot. Answer was "the cost/benefit analysis", "we will look into it", or "we have new exciting entertainment options coming (IFTV)" mumbo jumbo. I pitched that not only is it beneficial for passengers listening to know of upcoming weather or why they are ascending/descending but gives young aspiring pilots (kids) a way to hear the most professional pilots in the business.

You can sorta listen to ATC radio in the air by connecting to GoGo inflight and going to liveatc dot net.
Old May 6, 2010, 6:43 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
The reason Delta doesn't provide a channel 9 is that you will then be able to hear the pilots snoring, particularly if you are flying to MSP!
Old May 6, 2010, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
I use www.liveatc.net for ATC on aircraft w/ Wifi.
Old May 6, 2010, 6:57 am

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
I would love that!!
Old May 6, 2010, 7:03 am

It's really nice flying UA in ORD because it allows you to know you are being sent to the penalty box instead of taking off/landing.

One time in YYZ ATC said we were to pull off to the side and wait for 30 minutes. I told this to the guy next to me. We pulled over and a few minutes later the pilot came on and said we were being held...the guy was curious about how I knew that.

I think DL is afraid of ATC at ATL due to delays.
Old May 6, 2010, 7:08 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
That id one of the few things I like about UA. AF allows a camera view of the scene from the cockpit on longhaul. The combination would be very useful and entertaining.
Old May 6, 2010, 7:09 am

Programs: WN CP & A-list, Marriott Silver
Channel 9 is one of the major pluses of flying UA for me and part of the reason I've migrated most of my flying over to them (yes, it is ridiculous, but as a pilot, if I can't sit up front I at least want to know that's going on around me). Yes, DL's IFE offering is impressive, but I'd take Channel 9 any day over a spotty satellite TV connection with half the channels not working. Wifi is great, too, but if until I find a way to expense it or start flying more transcons, it's a little pricey for the hour hops I typically fly.

Anyhow, as awesome as Ch9 on DL would be, I would imagine that the cost of making the appropriate modifications to the IFE and aircraft comms systems would be cost prohibitive -- especially considering the tenuous nature of airline profitability these days, I don't see it happening unless they can find a way to charge for it. We can dream though.
Old May 6, 2010, 8:00 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club
It is a nice feature on United flights. I flew Austrian Air a couple years ago and they went 1 step further with a nose cam and belly cam.
Old May 6, 2010, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I love Channel 9 on United...from the minute I sit down to the minute I get off, I'm listening to it. Best IFE out there in my opinion.

Hopefully it's on for my flights on United tomorrow.
Old May 6, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I'll add the same sentiment. Enjoy it much more than any of the PTV/AVOD programming.

My all-time favorite line (after the fact) heard on Ch9 was on a very snowy/icy night flying MSP-ORD on an A320...Something along the lines of:
Tower: United XXX (my flight) cleared to land runway 10 (ORD) braking reported fair to good.
Pilot: United XXX cleared to land runway 10.
landing
REALLLLLY long rollout/reverse thrust application...
Pilot: Uhm, tower...United XXX. I'd like to downgrade runway braking to poor to very poor...Sir, we were basically sliding down the entire length of the runway...
Tower: United XXX, roger...We're actually shutting down the airport right now.

By the time I got to a monitor, all flights were showing as "Cancelled" and ORD had been shut down.
Old May 6, 2010, 10:25 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
For those that don't know about the thead, over in the United forum there's a thread of the best other people have heard from ATC while listening to Ch.9.

It's long, so if you've got some time to burn it's a funny read.

And +1 for me - would love to have it on DL flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.