Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what is the best use of miles?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2010, 9:49 am
Original Poster

what is the best use of miles?

I have always used my miles by buying 25k award tickets (mostly jfk/lax, I can be EXTREMLY flexible with travel times/dates/even airports) - but now there are no available low milage flights at least for the next few months. And when i say no available, i mean 0 - there are 3 days in all of june where i could fly low (and that would only be 1 way), 0 in july, 0 in aug, etc. It would be better to just use pay with miles as there are flights at around $300, i dont see why anybody would book an award ticket for 40k. I even checked jfk/las or even jfk/mco for the hell of it, and those are all medium also. Is there any other better use for the miles, or am i just stuck paying with miles? I have about 150k miles, once those are gone I think so is delta. I have already stopped using my delta amex.
Old May 4, 2010, 9:59 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
150k = biz class for 1 to SYD via ICN on KE.
That or within the next 2 weeks book a quick trip to SIN in F for 140k miles.
No better value before saying goodbye.
Old May 4, 2010, 1:58 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, United Silver, Aegean Silver, Avis First
This is something I've noticed too. I'm new to Delta, and collecting miles, but hunting for flights, I'm quickly understanding all the devaluation of skymiles comments.
Old May 4, 2010, 2:42 pm

Programs: SkyMiles PM, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
I've used about 120,000 miles for hotels in Madrid and San Francisco (five nights in each city) via the SkyMiles Marketplace. The overall redemption value was somewhat better than $.01 per mile.

On the JFK-LAX route, given peak summer travel and the JFK runway closure, they're probably holding onto the seats for the time being in hopes of selling them. Try checking availability again 4-2 weeks out.
Old May 4, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: SkyMiles PM, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
Another option: search for flights out of LGA. I found a few July LGA-xxx-LAX options for 25,000, connecting in IND, others connections at 32,500.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.