Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounges: Now vs 10 years ago

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2010, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

i find it surprising to me that the food is better today... ?

I really thought that 10 years ago clubs had made to order chef food, like they have in Asia. Looks like I have not missed out on a lot. I remember having food on a CVG-DAY flight, and compared it with that, but turns out I was wrong...

How about alcohol? Was it much better then, more selection? Or about the same ?
Old May 4, 2010, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Astriker
Made me laugh ---
I'm glad I could help out......I'm sure B-10 has been making you (and the rest of us) cry for a few decades now....
Old May 4, 2010, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by libuser
i find it surprising to me that the food is better today... ?

I really thought that 10 years ago clubs had made to order chef food, like they have in Asia. Looks like I have not missed out on a lot. I remember having food on a CVG-DAY flight, and compared it with that, but turns out I was wrong...

We're talking about the Crown Rooms and not the Business Elite lounges. The old BE lounges used to put out a much better spread while the old CRs pretty much made do with pretzel/nut mix (this is 10 years ago, remember).

I don't think there has been much change in the alcohol selection. Different clubs had more or less than some other clubs (beer selection in particular). The big difference was that the bartenders used to be direct DL employees rather than contract and tipping was not allowed.
Old May 4, 2010, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by libuser
10 years ago all we had was 20 year old scotch, now we have 30 year old scotch?
Old May 5, 2010, 2:35 am

Programs: DL 2 MM
10 years ago we had the DTW Smith Terninal Worldclubs !!

If we rewind the clocks 10 years ago we had the Smith Terminal C concource worldclub and the tiny WC opposite the Marriott Hotel and the small Worldclub which most Intl travlers used at the front of the G concourse. These clubs were very tired and outdated. When the new terminal opened we had brand new clubs with locker storage, new lounges, more artwork and less density in the seating. If you use the DTW clubs it is much better now than it was 10 years ago.

RC
Old May 5, 2010, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Radiocycle
If we rewind the clocks 10 years ago we had the Smith Terminal C concource worldclub and the tiny WC opposite the Marriott Hotel and the small Worldclub which most Intl travlers used at the front of the G concourse. These clubs were very tired and outdated. When the new terminal opened we had brand new clubs with locker storage, new lounges, more artwork and less density in the seating. If you use the DTW clubs it is much better now than it was 10 years ago.

RC
As noted thankfully 8 years ago the World Gateway opened...wow what a difference
Old May 5, 2010, 8:04 am

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by socrates
As noted thankfully 8 years ago the World Gateway opened...wow what a difference
I agree, the World Gateway opening was wonderful... I flew through there very soon after it opened, and everything was new and gleeming.....

The WCs were/are spacious, with very nice snack variety and I really enjoyed fixing my own drink.
Old May 5, 2010, 8:25 am
Original Poster

how about international clubs?
Such as those in Europe and in Asia?
I hear from a lot that now those a top notch with chefs and everything, but how do they compare 10 years ago ?

I am just interested if I have missed on anything back then.. : )
Old May 5, 2010, 8:42 am

Programs: SkyMiles
DL SkyClubs

Originally Posted by Astriker
Made me laugh ---
One of the reasons that a almost always fly domestically and internationally via MEM and DTW is the old NW, and now DL, SkyClubs. The furnature is not shop-worn, drinks are self-service, and the bathrooms are clean.
Old May 5, 2010, 8:49 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by edweird
There's less booze and good food, but more travelers using the lounges...
+1 (emphasis is mine)
Old May 5, 2010, 9:19 am

Programs: 7mm DM, FC, Marriott PM (lifetime), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PMMMDL
More crowded, more flip flops and shorts, more sweat suites and t shirts, more kids, less decorum.
Agreed....and more noise.
There were more clubs. The smaller clubs like BHM and BTR had self service bars....and no one went nuts pouring drinks.
I actually think things were better.
There was no WIFI because....well....there was no WiFi
Old May 5, 2010, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DouglasBoyd
One of the reasons that a almost always fly domestically and internationally via MEM and DTW is the old NW, and now DL, SkyClubs. The furnature is not shop-worn, drinks are self-service, and the bathrooms are clean.
you forgot to mention the bathrooms in the legacy WC's have 2 ply TP...B-10 (and other ATL clubs) have something that probably doesn't qualify even as single ply
Old May 5, 2010, 12:44 pm

Programs: NWA Tears
NWA: No change in decorating, food, booze, agents. That's a good thing for the food, booze, and agents, bad for the worn out furniture.

DL: No change in decorating. Decline in agents. Improvement in food.

ALL: decline in decorum and regard for others. All clubs used to be relatively quiet and a good place to relax or get work done or enjoy a drink and conversation with friends. The number of people doesn't seem to have changed, but the number who want to share their life and conversation with everyone around them seems to have increased. Interestingly I find that the louder people talk the less important they are in their company and the less intelligent they are. Most people used to clean up after themselves for whomever was next to use their table.
Old May 5, 2010, 1:13 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AA
Originally Posted by PMMMDL
More crowded, more flip flops and shorts, more sweat suites and t shirts, more kids, less decorum.
Exactly - I am Platinum and would not renew if my company did not reimburse the $300.
Families of 8 (2 adults, 6 kids), lower class of patrons, tired furniture, have to sometimes leave the club in order to make a phone call with less background noise, lazy bartenders in some locations outside of ATL, no shower facilities in hubs that should have them (i.e. MSP), etc.
Old May 5, 2010, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Go back about 20 years and DL had a number of small rooms that were unstaffed. You went to a DL agent who gave you the combination to the door lock to let yourself in. Nice little bar (serve yourself, obviously).

I remember these in SDF, BWI, TUL (?), and other smaller locations.

Nice convenience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.