Lounges: Now vs 10 years ago

Old May 4, 10, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Lounges: Now vs 10 years ago

Hey guys,
Since I am rather new to the lounges, been here for a while but never had enough for status, what would you say has changed in the lounges between now and 10 years ago?

I just wonder what have those of us have missed or rather not missed? Has there been better/more food? More/less booze?

Just wanted to hear your opinions on the matter : )
Old May 4, 10, 8:01 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Nothing. In many cases, not even the furniture.

Seriously (well, I was serious about the furniture), there's a bit more in the way of snacks, but not much. Many of the lounges are the same as they were back then. The Biz Class lounges have gone away, folded into the (now) SkyClubs.
Old May 4, 10, 8:03 am

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
There's less booze and good food, but more travellers using the lounges.

I recall there being more of a professional business and First Class lounge kind of atmosphere inthe past, and now it's often just as casual and kid cluttered as the terminal gate areas at times.
Old May 4, 10, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
... and there are fewer of them.

... and it costs you more to get less.

... and membership is no longer free for Plats (admittedly, free for Diamond, which is the new Platinum)
Old May 4, 10, 8:57 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Ten years ago there was less automation in the ticketing process so the lounge agents were really useful and _really_ good. These were the "old Delta" people and only the best got to work in the Crown Room.

The snacks were much worse than today.

Ten years ago, CR access was a Platinum benefit so the lounges were just as crowded as today. We all thought that the lounges would empty out when they took away the Platinum benefit but, as we all know, it didn't happen.
Old May 4, 10, 10:14 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Surprised no one pointed out free WiFi.
Old May 4, 10, 10:25 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by BNAChairman View Post
Someone did - you

Actually, it wasn't free at DL's clubs for all until recently. Only annual members got free wifi, not even full fare C passengers. Fortunately DL saw the error of their ways in that policy!
Old May 4, 10, 10:50 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
More crowded, more flip flops and shorts, more sweat suites and t shirts, more kids, less decorum.
Old May 4, 10, 10:56 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Originally Posted by PMMMDL View Post
More crowded, more flip flops and shorts, more sweat suites and t shirts, more kids, less decorum.
More people judging you and others on the clothing they wear while traveling.

But yes, more people in general. Most clubs are stuffed to the gills, and granting free access to the top tier elites doesn't help much.
Old May 4, 10, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Have never paid for a membership, mostly accessed the old fashioned way, via premium intl tickets. I think the lounges are fine the way they are, even the overseas lounges that offer free food aren't that exciting as far as food is concerned. The thing that I like about some lounges are the showers. I like to be able to refresh myself, right in an airport. Last time, I forgot I was still in an airport!
Old May 4, 10, 1:56 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Some other impressive stuff
Originally Posted by PMMMDL View Post
I missed the judgement, but agree with the observation.
Old May 4, 10, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by BNAChairman View Post
Well, the CRs always had free local phones. Still do.

Ten years ago, the most common internet acccess was dialup. In a lot of the CRs back then you would frequently see the phones in various states of disassembly as people found creative ways to plug in if a RJ-11 jack was not readily accessible.

For the bulk of the time that the CRs have had TMobile, it was a $9.95 charge. It became free for direct CR members a little over two or three years ago and finally in the last year free for all guests as part of the merged NW offerings.
Old May 4, 10, 2:54 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
More people judging you and others on the clothing they wear while traveling.

But yes, more people in general. Most clubs are stuffed to the gills, and granting free access to the top tier elites doesn't help much.
Don't even get me started. I had some guy in the JFK priority security line talk down to me because I was wearing laced sneakers. "Did you see 'Up In The Air'," he asked. I replied that yes I had, but I wasn't willing to wear cheap-looking slip-ons like the ones he was wearing in order save 4 seconds. Of course, he had been a total mess when trying to put his laptop, jacket, and belt on the conveyor belt.
Old May 4, 10, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer View Post
Nothing. In many cases, not even the furniture.

Seriously (well, I was serious about the furniture), there's a bit more in the way of snacks, but not much. Many of the lounges are the same as they were back then. The Biz Class lounges have gone away, folded into the (now) SkyClubs.
unfortunately very true about the age/condition of the clubs...most (but not all) legacy WC's are newer than the CRC's however DL is starting to update them (I heard they recently found a demolition company to take care of the dirt buildup in B10, estimates are it'll only take a few hundred cases of TNT)

Unfortunately in the past 3 years food has been downgraded in the WC's too but this too appears to be changing for the better

And as has been noted thankfully DL started allowing WC members free wifi in the CRC's (I think this was added about a year ago)
Old May 4, 10, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL: DM / Royal Ambassador /PC:Plat / Hertz:5*
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
unfortunately very true about the age/condition of the clubs...most (but not all) legacy WC's are newer than the CRC's however DL is starting to update them (I heard they recently found a demolition company to take care of the dirt buildup in B10, estimates are it'll only take a few hundred cases of TNT)
Made me laugh ---

Search this Thread
Search Engine: