Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Richard Anderson's Comments on the New Tarmac Rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Richard Anderson's Comments on the New Tarmac Rules

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2010, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by SamuelS
A decent multi-trip annual travel insurance policy is a must these days, yet while most Canadians/Europeans rarely leave home without a good travel insurance policy, it seems that American travellers have been far slower on the uptake.
Just curious, how much does something like that run?
Old May 3, 2010, 11:44 pm

Programs: DLDM HHDiamond
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
That's the thing, to me, it is better to wait on the plane and hope for a break in the weather or an open ATC slot. As we all know, weather in ATL and JFK changes rapidly. Instead of waiting it out on the plane, flights will just be cancelled. The worst is going to be snow and deicing delays.
Do you really think it's a good idea to wait MORE than 3 hours in the plane under any circumstances??? How long is too long???
Old May 3, 2010, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
It seems to me that the clock should stop once the pilot declares that he is returning to the gate. In other words, if the pilot declares at 2:59 that he is heading back, that should be sufficient to meet the requirement.

And I do agree with the requirement.

To be honest, the plane should not leave the gate if it isn't expected to be airborne within three hours.
I'd rather sit on a plane for three hours (or more) and get where I need to be if there's weather and many flights are disrupted, etc.
Old May 3, 2010, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by secretive!
Do you really think it's a good idea to wait MORE than 3 hours in the plane under any circumstances??? How long is too long???
3 hours isn't long enough. I'd rather have the airline, rather than the government, make the decision. To me, it is better to try to get the plane out, albeit late than cancel the flight and sleep in the airport.

Example: A 764 JFK-LHR around the holidays. A snowstorm has limited operations at JFK. With de-icing and ATC controls, you could only have 1 shot for a departure slot before hitting the 3 hour mark. Fine, after waiting to de-ice and ATC, DL cancels the flight at 2:50. The 240+ pax are off-loaded and get to spend the night in the DL terminals at JFK. Since it is weather or ATC, no need to provide compensation, food or hotels. Since it is the holidays, alternative flights won't be able to accomodate everybody until 3-5 days after the original flight. Then there's also the problem of the people in LHR waiting for their ride back to JFK.

Why not let DL load everybody up, head to the de-icing line then the penalty box and hope for a shot to leave? We all know that this process at JFK takes a long time and 3 hours isn't sufficient. To me, it is better that I'm 4, 5, 6 hours late to where I'm going rather than be stuck at the airport terminal.
Old May 4, 2010, 12:06 am

Programs: various
Is it possible we have a difference of opinion along the lines of cabin being flown? As in, those flying first/biz are more likely to be willing to sit on the tarmac, compared to those flying coach who often have much more unbearable conditions to endure, and who'd rather sit it out inside a building rather than a metal tube? I can see where my own opinion might flip-flop depending on flight, aircraft, full vs not, flexibility of my plans, and whether I was up front or back of the bus.
Old May 4, 2010, 12:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SamuelS

I used to rely on my credit card coverage, but after trying to actually make a claim on my CC 'insurance' and getting the shaft, I said screw it and bought a reasonably priced multi-trip policy.
I have always used my AMEX CC and bought the insurance through them. I can only speak to my experience, but I've never had a problem with a claim.

AndyTLe, in principle I agree. I'd prefer the airlines to make the call. But the airines have shown they can't be trusted. Remember people being stuck on the plane for 8 hours?

Again, ultimately, this points to a need to overhaul the whole ATC system and at airports like JFK the need to expand the airport. But, as to your suggestion, it is called ground management. You ensure you have your de-icing slot before pushing off.

Dave
Old May 4, 2010, 5:33 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
It seems to me that the clock should stop once the pilot declares that he is returning to the gate. In other words, if the pilot declares at 2:59 that he is heading back, that should be sufficient to meet the requirement.

And I do agree with the requirement.

To be honest, the plane should not leave the gate if it isn't expected to be airborne within three hours.
+1. This seem reasonable. I really have no sympathy for DL on this issue.
Old May 4, 2010, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by jiejie
Is it possible we have a difference of opinion along the lines of cabin being flown? As in, those flying first/biz are more likely to be willing to sit on the tarmac, compared to those flying coach who often have much more unbearable conditions to endure, and who'd rather sit it out inside a building rather than a metal tube? I can see where my own opinion might flip-flop depending on flight, aircraft, full vs not, flexibility of my plans, and whether I was up front or back of the bus.
Although it is much more tolerable to be sitting up front, and you are more likely to be able to receive some beverage service during the delay, the gist of the issue is the same in both cabins... do you want to get to your destination or not?

I had a trip to Rio out of BOS preemptively canceled in February for a snowstorm that ultimately never even hit us. But the sad part was that because of Feb school holidays, DL could not get us out to even ATL for several days. And because it was Carnival time in Rio, those flights were full as well. I would have gladly sat on the tarmac for three hours rather than completely cancel a week long vacation and have to absorb non-refundable hotels etc.

This rule will have people missing their cruises, and other people will miss weddings and funerals.
Old May 4, 2010, 6:33 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Diamond; HH - Diamond; Priority Club - Platinum;
[QUOTE=EZE;13893471]
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
The airlines had both the ability and the responsibility to solve this problem.

=QUOTE]

You mean by massively cutting service? The problem is that delays are generally caused by 1) weather, 2) insufficient airport infrastructure, or 3) ATC. Occasionally of course we do have maintenance related delays though rarely does one of those cause a 3 hour delay where the door is closed. So effectively, the government has decided that because it can not deliver a new ATC system and because airports like JFK can't add runways due to "political constraints", they would blame the airlines for something that was their fault as much as it is the airlines. While I agree there is a certain point at which an aircraft should turn back, I think this choice is best left to the consumer to decide by voting with his/her dollars - taking their business to the airline which best provides a service that aligns with their preferances.

I think the result of the draconian penalties will indeed be that I end spending more time in JFK hotels and less time with my family. This definitely ranks up there as one of the stupidest moves by Congress.
Could it be that the airlines overschedule flights that cause runway and Air Traffic congestion?

All the more so when they use RJs and turbo props and schedule multiple flights at the same gate - e.g. on April 28th, in ATL, 3 RJs were scheduled at the same gate (D36) to depart within 10 minutes of each other!
Old May 4, 2010, 6:51 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
[QUOTE=komalkks;13895427]
Originally Posted by EZE

Could it be that the airlines overschedule flights that cause runway and Air Traffic congestion?

All the more so when they use RJs and turbo props and schedule multiple flights at the same gate - e.g. on April 28th, in ATL, 3 RJs were scheduled at the same gate (D36) to depart within 10 minutes of each other!
+1

The use of multiple RJs instead of one mainline is one of the major causes of the over scheduling. I'll take a mainline and a 2+ hour layover over an RJ anyday!
Old May 4, 2010, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiejie
Is it possible we have a difference of opinion along the lines of cabin being flown?
Doesn't matter if you're in Y or F/J, I'd prefer getting to my destination late, a bit cranky rather than nowhere.

[QUOTE=komalkks;13895427]
Originally Posted by EZE
It is much more about the government dragging their feet and NOT investing in the ATC system.

The RJs that are used are necessary for the cities that are served. Just because an RJ is used does not mean DL (or any airline) has overscheduled. Without the smaller aircraft, there are some airports/regions that would not have any service.

A good article about the ATC system and how the next generation GPS-based system could help. http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/Busines...ory?id=9131728
Old May 4, 2010, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
It is much more about the government dragging their feet and NOT investing in the ATC system.

The RJs that are used are necessary for the cities that are served.
This is nonsense. The U.S. carriers have fought for years against rational proposals for ATC (and even runway) expansion. They want the assets but they want somebody else to pay for them. It's as if the trucking industry wanted the nation to build not just roads, but also the terminals at company end and customer end, and paid for dispatchers and dispatch systems. If the Feds add a fee or tax, airlines complain about that.

Nonsense, too, on the rationalized use of RJs. There are RJs scheduled between ATL and ORD - the two busiest (by passenger count) airports in the world. RJs have a place, but it's not between busy airports at times of peak facility demand. Simply put, the airlines are responsible for scheduling capacity as it is, not as they wish it to be. Slot auctions would be a sensible, market-based way to achieve this - but carriers fought that, too.

In the matter of prolonged departure delays, airlines had all the freedom in the world to act responsibly yet repeatedly demonstrated they couldn't be trusted to do so. One can argue if three hours is too long for passengers or insufficiently flexible for carriers, but something needed to be done to change the carriers' behavior.
Old May 4, 2010, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
[QUOTE=DL-Don;13895489]
Originally Posted by komalkks

+1

The use of multiple RJs instead of one mainline is one of the major causes of the over scheduling. I'll take a mainline and a 2+ hour layover over an RJ anyday!
I would have thought that someone who flies as much as you, a DM and on the doorstep of becoming a 4MM, would have valued his time more than that. Especially when more and more RJs are getting FC seating.

But even in a CRJ200, a reliable nonstop is preferred by me over a connection.
Old May 4, 2010, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
LOL...

We have folks here who used to argue that significant delays were so infrequent that there was no problem here that needed to be solved.

Now that the new rule is in place, suddenly their perspective has changed... now significant delays are so frequent that the solution to the problem is going to be a catastrophe.

Granted... the airlines cannot control the weather.

Granted... weather delays cost the airlines.

However, the "do nothing to improve the way the system functions and just hope the problem goes away" attitude that the airlines collectively have applied to the problem must be the one they perceive to be most financially beneficial to them. Otherwise, they would be looking for another solution.

I don't like big government either. But this is one of those situations where the consumer was going to continue taking it on the chin until the government stepped in to stem the abuse.

And, yes, the government... via the obsolete ATC system... has contributed to the problem. Perhaps this new rule will prompt the airlines to start holding the government accountable for its neglect of the ATC system.

And perhaps the government will hold the airlines accountable for their scheduling practices, which push the larger airports to the edge of dysfunction even in good weather.

So to repeat, the airlines cannot control the weather. But weather happens. The airlines and ATC should start planning on weather happening again.

I have never been in a multi-hour delay on the tarmac. But I have been delayed more times than I can count (2, 3, or even 4 hours) trying to get home to the east coast (hyperbole warning!) just because there was a cloud somewhere over New Jersey... and I'm damned tired of it.

There have to be ways that they system could be safely operated more efficiently. But, up till now, neither the airlines nor ATC have been serious about searching them out. And the consumer suffers from their collective inaction.
Old May 4, 2010, 8:14 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by SFO777
Hmmm, just checked the calendar and it's.... May.
All those blizzards and not a sign incident!
Obviously you are uninformed about cancellations and delays. They don't all happen due to blizzards. Many other weather factors cause it as well. And there are a host of non-weather-related incidents that affect delays too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.