Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ASA Going to Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2010, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

ASA Going to Vietnam

Dont have the link, just have three roommates dancing around our place right now cuz ASA has signed with Air Mekong to take crews to Vietnam to staff fleet on four ASA CR9 aircraft. 13 month contracts and looks pretty good. Have more later
Old Apr 28, 2010, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Nice to see them exporting their less-than-stellar reliability around the globe.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 5:59 pm

CR9? Something sounds off...
Old Apr 28, 2010, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by WBurcham
CR9? Something sounds off...
I'm hoping it is a typo and supposed to be CRJ instead of CR9 (ASA has only 10 CR9s)

http://www.flyasa.com/media/aircraft.php
Old Apr 28, 2010, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
I know that the Brad Holt and higher managment went there months ago to see about setting up shop over there. I don't think its the CR9 that they will be flying cause they don't own any (expect under the DL contract). They do still have 6 or so CR2s that are available though.

Also look for ASA to be announcing something else in the very near future.

Found a link on another forum:http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/re...a-vietnam.html
Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
I'm hoping it is a typo and supposed to be CRJ instead of CR9 (ASA has only 10 CR9s)

http://www.flyasa.com/media/aircraft.php
They wont be pulling from this fleet. These 10 birds are owned 100% by Delta Air Line INC. and Delta wont be giving up any 76 seaters. If they could dump more mainline pilots and add more 76 seaters they would.

(yea Delta. I said it.)

the question here is will this be 100% ASA or some kind of wet lease. IIRC if its 100% ASA then they can't have any aircraft that are over 76 seats due to DALPA's scope. It shoulds like it will be more of a wet lease type deal.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:59 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Just wondering how an airline goes about moving 4 CR2's from the US to Vietnam...the mileage won't make it so was wondering how it works!
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by spudley007
Just wondering how an airline goes about moving 4 CR2's from the US to Vietnam...the mileage won't make it so was wondering how it works!
Milk run & they put fuel tanks in the pax cabin.

I've seen the pictures when they were ferried to Hawaii by Go! and it was cool.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Wink

The airline there has contracts already for four, CR9 aircraft, and these will not be pulled from the current ASA fleet, cuz as obviously already stated, Delta owns the a/c currently based in ATL.

"Air Mekong, a Vietnamese start-up airline, has approached Atlantic Southeast Airlines to solicit interest from our pilot group to potentially support its CRJ900 operation." Taken from direct email sent last night to all pilots within the ASA system to submit interests in applying for a 13 month contract to fly. Pay above average for the current ASA crews in addition to monthly allotments for housing plus travel costs alloted for time period. While pay is approximate even to those paid now, living costs to be paid by the airline is a big clincher here for those taking the chance and experience to fly overseas for the time period.

Now, if you all look at my history here on another very well known commercial aviation website, I cannot stand nor tolerate the "he said she said" b/s normally associated with those who post only because "I wish they'd fly here" or "why don't there fly there" cuz honestly, I'm sick of nor have the time to read nor respond to those posts as many, lots of you out there have agreed with me and we've talked that we're simply over those posts being posted nor tolerated much longer, that's why, to those who know me, have emailed me personally today and we've had a total of 57 emails talking about this topic, I wouldn't waste mine nor your time otherwise, and why I thought I'd share this bit of commercial aviation going on right now with some of you.

To the haters, ASA is doing quite well, performing quite well, and has successfully taken all their worst performing DOT time performers off the "worst 10 list" from past months worst performers. But a note on that, before some of you jump on that bandwagon, note to self, know when a major needs an international flight or aircraft from a cross-country business route to have preference in landing or timely arrival, they'll pull the slot from the regional to have the more important flight in question to have a priority in landing or arriving at destination over the respective regional flight assigned to such "slotted" arrival. It's happened for years and years and why some regionals get targeted so hatefully, only because of their major counterpart. This was huge in issues between DCI and mainline Delta, man up or get out when it comes to the public and their vision as well as perception to the regionals who not only make up, but fulfill everyday flying on behalf of Delta worldwide and nationwide. ASA has done great, better then average, better then expected, and is receiving gratitude from United on how well their part in taking over the Express flying has gone so far out of IAD/ORD that they've done, United is more then happy and hint hint, expect announcements to come of added agreements, aircrafts, and flying on behalf of ASA and their United Express operation, just a hint.

Don't waste my time cuz I promise, I would never waste yours', I as well as you all enjoy much, much too much for that for the traditional "he said she said" nomenclature associated with this industry for me to be making this up or wasting anybody's time, and thanks to the 57 emails and those personally here through this site to know me well enough and so well that I'm greater then that.

Have a great evening all, it's awesome here in ATL!!!!
Old Apr 29, 2010, 6:31 pm

Programs: ex-NW, now DL FO, AA, AC

Here is an a.net photo of ferry tanks on a 717 going from the mainland to Hawaii.

They could also go up through Alaska to Russia then down the east coast of the Asian mainland. I don't know how practical that would be; I don't know if a CR2 has the range (or capabilities?), even with extra tanks, to do a polar route.

-ww
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:32 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by flying_ww
Here is an a.net photo of ferry tanks on a 717 going from the mainland to Hawaii.

They could also go up through Alaska to Russia then down the east coast of the Asian mainland. I don't know how practical that would be; I don't know if a CR2 has the range (or capabilities?), even with extra tanks, to do a polar route.

-ww
Thanks for sharing...that's awesome!
Old Apr 30, 2010, 5:40 am

Its only about 1,000 miles more to route east from Atlanta to Vietnam as going west. Thus you could do the old Newfoundland-Greenland-Iceland (from the earliest days of transatlantic flying) onwards hop across and avoid the need to modify the aircraft.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 6:15 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by flyboy7974
ASA Going to Vietnam
Can't think of a better place for them...
Old Apr 30, 2010, 6:28 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by flyboy7974
The airline there has contracts already for four, CR9 aircraft, and these will not be pulled from the current ASA fleet, cuz as obviously already stated, Delta owns the a/c currently based in ATL.

"Air Mekong, a Vietnamese start-up airline, has approached Atlantic Southeast Airlines to solicit interest from our pilot group to potentially support its CRJ900 operation." Taken from direct email sent last night to all pilots within the ASA system to submit interests in applying for a 13 month contract to fly. Pay above average for the current ASA crews in addition to monthly allotments for housing plus travel costs alloted for time period. While pay is approximate even to those paid now, living costs to be paid by the airline is a big clincher here for those taking the chance and experience to fly overseas for the time period.

Now, if you all look at my history here on another very well known commercial aviation website, I cannot stand nor tolerate the "he said she said" b/s normally associated with those who post only because "I wish they'd fly here" or "why don't there fly there" cuz honestly, I'm sick of nor have the time to read nor respond to those posts as many, lots of you out there have agreed with me and we've talked that we're simply over those posts being posted nor tolerated much longer, that's why, to those who know me, have emailed me personally today and we've had a total of 57 emails talking about this topic, I wouldn't waste mine nor your time otherwise, and why I thought I'd share this bit of commercial aviation going on right now with some of you.

To the haters, ASA is doing quite well, performing quite well, and has successfully taken all their worst performing DOT time performers off the "worst 10 list" from past months worst performers. But a note on that, before some of you jump on that bandwagon, note to self, know when a major needs an international flight or aircraft from a cross-country business route to have preference in landing or timely arrival, they'll pull the slot from the regional to have the more important flight in question to have a priority in landing or arriving at destination over the respective regional flight assigned to such "slotted" arrival. It's happened for years and years and why some regionals get targeted so hatefully, only because of their major counterpart. This was huge in issues between DCI and mainline Delta, man up or get out when it comes to the public and their vision as well as perception to the regionals who not only make up, but fulfill everyday flying on behalf of Delta worldwide and nationwide. ASA has done great, better then average, better then expected, and is receiving gratitude from United on how well their part in taking over the Express flying has gone so far out of IAD/ORD that they've done, United is more then happy and hint hint, expect announcements to come of added agreements, aircrafts, and flying on behalf of ASA and their United Express operation, just a hint.

Don't waste my time cuz I promise, I would never waste yours', I as well as you all enjoy much, much too much for that for the traditional "he said she said" nomenclature associated with this industry for me to be making this up or wasting anybody's time, and thanks to the 57 emails and those personally here through this site to know me well enough and so well that I'm greater then that.

Have a great evening all, it's awesome here in ATL!!!!
Dear God in heaven - my head hurts from trying to read all those run-on sentences!!
Old May 6, 2010, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Nice to see them exporting their less-than-stellar reliability around the globe.
Get your facts straight. ASA is one of the few airlines in the world that has never had a fatality due to pilot error. I know it's hard to believe, but true. The two high profile accidents we did have with fatalities were due to catastrophic failures and after being reviewed it was determined that they were unrecoverable. We no longer fly the Brasilia, which was the aircraft responsible for these accidents. As for customer service, we were ranked at the top in January 2010.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.