Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What's the best way to use my 25K Delta miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the best way to use my 25K Delta miles?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by fti
You don't even need to be on the west coast. AS flies from several cities in the midwest, south and east now.

And you can visit two cities in Alaska for the same 25K miles. I am going to ANC and ADQ this summer. If you want to see bears, go to ANC and AKN. If you want a remote experience combine ANC or FAI and BRW. Just the round trip within Alaska from ANC and back will be worth >$400, not to mention the value of the ticket from the lower 48 to ANC.
Oh I know... and keeps expanding East & West

It's just a bit harder to find saver space (W) on those transcon flights...

But its a pretty good value, especially when flying to those far-flung cities within Alaska... yes- there's one that's even 1192 miles long... ANC-ADK (2x a week and rarely below $1000 RT on sale)
Old May 2, 2010, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by dd1612
You may want to consider booking an airfare on Delta and using the Paywith Miles option to pay the 1st $250 off your ticket.
That will give you a $0.01 per mile redemption.
Does this option only work with fares higher than $250?
Old May 2, 2010, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Less than 1 cpm is almost like throwing the miles away. If you're that desperate get some gift cards or something. Depending on status and if you have an Amex card, I think it's 5k for $50, 6k or 8k for the same.
Anyone have a link to the gift cards? I can't find them in the marketplace.
Old May 2, 2010, 10:04 am

Programs: SkyMiles PM, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
To the OP, if you travel internationally, I found the hotel redemption options in Europe were frequently better deals that the US offerings in the Marketplace. I found many at levels better than 1 cent per mile, mostly in 3-star hotels.

The gift card redemptions aren't the best deal unless you are a Medallion and have an AmEx card.
Old May 2, 2010, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by smartcookie
I wanted to get some ideas of what you have found is the best way to use about 25K Delta miles (piles). As discussed often on this forum, 25K doesn't seem to get you an actual flight anymore. I've checked at least 5 flights now, even those that are going for $219 (NYC-Buffalo), and they still want 40K for them. The only flight I found for 25K was a $155 flight from LA to SF, and the times available for that price were inconvenient (the rest were 32.5K+ miles)

I don't want to earn any more miles on Delta due to the bad redemption rate (sticking with American and United) and am trying to figure out the best way to get rid of these 25K. What have you found gives you the biggest bang per mile?

Right now, I am finding an economy car rental I need in Charleston is about 23K miles for 4 days. The same rental via Hotwire is $95 after taxes and fees. It still doesn't seem like a good deal.

Any other better options? Do you get a better redemption for hotels? What else?

Thanks!
Here are some more suggestions:
Book RT flights to a city that you would like to tour/ see.
a. I booked a 25k RT award ticket from MSP-YYZ-MSP in the 2nd week of June for 25k when the ticket price is $680 approx.
b. I am getting 1 RT from MSP-BWI-MSP in the middle of July (peak period 7/16-7/18) for 25k miles when the ticket price is $430 approx.
c. Can do the same for MSP-SFO-MSP or MSP-LAX-MSP ... for 25k miles per round trip (RT).
There are many options at better than > $0.01 per mile.
Anyway - let us know what you finally do and whether any of these suggestions have helped.
Old May 4, 2010, 3:55 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, United Silver, Aegean Silver, Avis First
Originally Posted by dd1612
Here are some more suggestions:
Book RT flights to a city that you would like to tour/ see.
a. I booked a 25k RT award ticket from MSP-YYZ-MSP in the 2nd week of June for 25k when the ticket price is $680 approx.
PM me if your looking for things to do while in YYZ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.