Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta no longer has fees for "close-in" award travel... wait! they got added back...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta no longer has fees for "close-in" award travel... wait! they got added back...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:57 am

It sucks that the changes/redeposits are now $150.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta KM, United 1K, SPG plat
Originally Posted by judolphin
$150 to change a "free" ticket -- are they kidding??!!
Though I hate fees, I do think that at least the award change fee makes sense. When DL blocks off a seat for an award pax, it can't sell that seat. If the pax then releases the seat, it's quite possibly a missed opportunity for DL to earn on that seat. ie: the change very likely costs DL money, and probably more than $150.

The award redemption fee, however, was a travesty. I suspect that its elimination has just as much to do with heading off class-action suits as it does recovering the good will of Skymiles members.

I go to a local coffee shop... every 10 Lattés they give me a free one. If they started charging me a fee to get the free one, it would be a clear rip-off.

So despite the unwelcome increase in award redeposit fees, kudos to DL for backing out of that award redemption fee scam.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by mike101
Has anyone noticed that Silver Elites aren't mentioned AT ALL on the link http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...d_travel_fees/ ? Slowly but surely Delta has effectively made 2010 Gold the equivalent of Silver in previous years. It looks like Silver, Gold, and Plat are now known as Gold, Plat, and Diamond, with silver slowly being phased out until it becomes nothing but a symbolic status.
In effect, they have gone from a three-tier system to a three-tier system.

It's just that it takes more miles to qualify at each of the three levels.

"Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!" -- Lewis Caroll, "Through the Looking Glass"
Old Apr 14, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by generaltao
Though I hate fees, I do think that at least the award change fee makes sense. When DL blocks off a seat for an award pax, it can't sell that seat. If the pax then releases the seat, it's quite possibly a missed opportunity for DL to earn on that seat. ie: the change very likely costs DL money, and probably more than $150.
I understand your logic, but IMO, that is not a legitimate reason for change fees; DL oversells flights specifically because of things like this.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: SPG Gold
it's a good move to eliminate the close-in fee, to match DL's legacy competitors. it seems fair to keep the change fee as it is to keep DL's profit, when its competitors do the same thing.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Corylopsis
it's a good move to eliminate the close-in fee, to match DL's legacy competitors. it seems fair to keep the change fee as it is to keep DL's profit, when its competitors do the same thing.
It's competitors don't do the same thing. My business goes to:

WN: change any fare anytime, no fee
CO: award changes free if same origin & destination, otherwise $0-75 depending on elite level
Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:50 am

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
that sucks...I just redeemed 90K miles for a funeral my dad had to attend.
Is there a way to get that $220 back? This was less than a mth ago!
Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:53 am

Programs: DL PM
Has anyone noticed that Silver Elites aren't mentioned AT ALL on the link http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...d_travel_fees/
Silvers are now listed on the page...

Overall, I like this move...even if it comes with the change fee increase ! ^
Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by JeffISU
Big ^^ to DL on this one! But how did the OP notice this? Word spreads fast on FT . I too noticed award redeposit/reissue is now $150 instead of $100 like it was before, though now in line with the other legacies (except UA for free date changes). Maybe this will bring in more money than the close-in fees?
I noticed because someone referenced that link in another thread with regards to Delta having tons of fees. So I went and looked for the truth... and I found this.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
It's competitors don't do the same thing. My business goes to:

WN: change any fare anytime, no fee
CO: award changes free if same origin & destination, otherwise $0-75 depending on elite level
Mike, PLEASE... stop with the WN comments. This is the Delta forum. Please keep the WN comparisons out of it.

Delta and WN ARE NOT competitors. You are in the minority if you actually debate between Delta and WN on a particular flight plan.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Has anyone noticed that Silver Elites aren't mentioned AT ALL on the link http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...d_travel_fees/ ? Slowly but surely Delta has effectively made 2010 Gold the equivalent of Silver in previous years. It looks like Silver, Gold, and Plat are now known as Gold, Plat, and Diamond, with silver slowly being phased out until it becomes nothing but a symbolic status.
Silver is listed right there. Not sure what you're looking at...
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:04 am

Programs: DL Diamond Medallion, AA Executive Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Silver is listed right there. Not sure what you're looking at...
Apparently you did not see the link when you posted it earlier lol.. Silvers were recently added
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Mike, PLEASE... stop with the WN comments. This is the Delta forum. Please keep the WN comparisons out of it.

Delta and WN ARE NOT competitors. You are in the minority if you actually debate between Delta and WN on a particular flight plan.
Hardly -- they're a larger domestic operation than DL & carry more business passengers than DL (at least domestically). As DL continues to bleed red ink, they'd do well to look at some airlines in the black as models.

The key point is that if DL wants to reverse the emigration, they need to come up with a broad-based response. The close-in booking fee is just a drop in the bucket.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Perhaps this is in response to the negative comments about award availability and the award calendar. It's my guess that they actually ARE working to fix these things now, and that once they are fixed, the fees will be back (note the (1) footnote states that "fees are subject to change").

As far as I'm concerned, I have no problem with some of these fees if the calendar and availability are improved.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:19 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Big thumbs up to DL for this change. ^

To me a big perk of FF programs has always been the ability to, in theory, hop a plane somewhere, anywhere on the spur of the moment. But limited availability plus increasing close-in fees have eroded that option quite a bit.

I may finally be able to take a vacation and go somewhere again (my schedule is driven by client deadlines/schedules and windows of opportunity only appear a week or two ahead of time...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.