FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta no longer has fees for "close-in" award travel... wait! they got added back... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1074051-delta-no-longer-has-fees-close-award-travel-wait-they-got-added-back.html)

MikeyZBT Apr 13, 2010 11:06 pm

Delta no longer has fees for "close-in" award travel... wait! they got added back...

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...d_travel_fees/

When did Delta get rid of the fees for booking "last-minute" award reservations online? Great job, Delta. Thanks! ^^

Also, on that same link, when it says "Direct Ticketing", does that mean ticketing via the phone? So, that means there is no fee (for Gold and Platinums) for booking award tickets over the phone, right?

If so, good stuff.

mike101 Apr 13, 2010 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT (Post 13766425)
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...d_travel_fees/

When did Delta get rid of the fees for booking "last-minute" award reservations online? Great job, Delta. Thanks! ^^

Also, on that same link, when it says "Direct Ticketing", does that mean ticketing via the phone? So, that means there is no fee (for Gold and Platinums) for booking award tickets over the phone, right?

If so, good stuff.

I don't know when this took place. But congratulations on Delta for moving in the right direction. With such limited award availability and encouraging their customers to book at the last minute to find low awards, it makes perfect sense to do this. So two thumbs up for this change which I hope lasts for a while.

"Direct Ticketing" that was referenced in the link likely refers to the $20 fee over the phone or $35 fee at Ticket Offices http://www.delta.com/help/faqs/reservations/index.jsp (click on direct ticketing link)

blug Apr 13, 2010 11:37 pm

This surprised me. At first I thought Delta.com was hacked.

But then when did award redeposit/reissue fee become $50 for PM? Wasn't it $25 not long ago?

judolphin Apr 13, 2010 11:53 pm

WOW. Good job, DL! ^

RobOnLI Apr 14, 2010 12:19 am

No airline gives up any source of revenue without recouping it elsewhere. So ask yourself, where is DL making up this revenue stream from? I don't know the answer.

Good news about the close-in award fees going away though.

-RM

mike101 Apr 14, 2010 12:35 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 13766663)
No airline gives up any source of revenue without recouping it elsewhere. So ask yourself, where is DL making up this revenue stream from? I don't know the answer.

-RM

They will recoup the revenue by regaining the trust of their FFs. Currently, everyone is deserting DL for their deceptive and manipulative practices. By eliminating this fee, people will decide that booking an award ticket at the last minute isn't so bad after all and that their miles are still useful despite the outrageous prices. Imagine spending 40K for a r/t domestic coach award, paying $150 for booking 3 days prior, and an additional $20 for telephone ticketing fees (since the website / award search engine was busted) +$5 dollars in tax that's $175 bucks + 40K miles. Delta must have been swarmed by complaints for these 'close-in' fees.

There is also the possibility of charging for carry-ons like Spirit Airlines does.

Jaimito Cartero Apr 14, 2010 12:40 am

Originally Posted by blug (Post 13766535)
This surprised me. At first I thought Delta.com was hacked.

But then when did award redeposit/reissue fee become $50 for PM? Wasn't it $25 not long ago?

Been out of town for a year? There was a huge uproar about the $100 fee to all elites in Jan 09.

Jaimito Cartero Apr 14, 2010 12:48 am

This is a positive first step. My birthday is coming up in June, so maybe they'll have award availability/calendar issues fixed by then!

iTanNicNic Apr 14, 2010 1:08 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 13766663)
So ask yourself, where is DL making up this revenue stream from?

Faux cheese :o

On a serious note, they're raising the charge to check a bag from $25 to $26.79, exact change only or else you'll be charged a $50 "convenience fee"

bowdenj Apr 14, 2010 2:06 am

Simply great news!

GUWonder Apr 14, 2010 2:19 am

This just went into effect: https://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_m...fees/index.jsp

On Monday DL was still trying to charge the close-in booking fees and doing so.

DL deserves a big ^ for this customer-friendly move.

.... now if only DL were to stop being as miserly with "low" priced award inventory as it is.

MarkXS Apr 14, 2010 2:23 am

Well finally a reason to burn off the last trivial amount of my wife's and my DL miles. We don't always have 21 days notice when we need to travel, and in the current economy have chosen to burn miles even on domestic trips rather than lay out the cash.

Already did the biz award trips to Europe, Asia, S.Amer back in better times - please don't lecture me about "value" - I know that a 25K domestic award is a "waste" - but it's funny money, not real money. Still hurts to book one of these but it's $250-$400 in real money I don't have to spend right now).

I've been using my CO miles (as a Plat no close-in fee - and doing lots of free award changes), and been using my now lowly 2P miles on UA. Including free changes for anyone if same O/D/routing. With all of 145 miles (that's 145, not 145 with zeros after it), the UA well is dry. We've got some DL miles but I sure wouldn't waste them with close-in fees.

Close-in fees are a total scam. If it's a processing fee with any bearing on reality, how come a revenue ticket purchased 3 days out doesn't have another $150 "close in fee" tacked onto it?

florin Apr 14, 2010 2:29 am

Kudos to DL for removing the stupid fees! ^

The mileage redeposit/reissue fee went up to $150 though for anyone less than Plat. :td:

There's ALWAYS a catch...

GUWonder Apr 14, 2010 2:32 am

Originally Posted by florin (Post 13767006)
Kudos to DL for removing the stupid fees! ^

The mileage redeposit/reissue fee went up to $150 though for anyone less than Plat. :td:

There's ALWAYS a catch...

.... with DL there does seem to be this time too.

DL's counting on baggage fees more and also award ticket reissue fees?

JeffISU Apr 14, 2010 2:33 am

Originally Posted by MarkXS (Post 13766995)
... Close-in fees are a total scam. If it's a processing fee with any bearing on reality, how come a revenue ticket purchased 3 days out doesn't have another $150 "close in fee" tacked onto it?

Well technically they do in the disguised form of a much higher fare.

Big ^^ to DL on this one! But how did the OP notice this? Word spreads fast on FT :). I too noticed award redeposit/reissue is now $150 instead of $100 like it was before, though now in line with the other legacies (except UA for free date changes). Maybe this will bring in more money than the close-in fees? Anyone want to hazard a guess?

Did you all also notice the superscript 1 next to the new close-in fees saying 'subject to change?'