Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

US announces double eqm/rdm-will DL follow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US announces double eqm/rdm-will DL follow?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Agreed. I wish DL would make MQMs only BIS miles. No more Amex MQMs, no mysterious gifts during the year, no double/triple MQMs if you fly on even mumbered days, have three arms, and live in Elbownia. Just keep it simple and consistent.
+1, go back to earning elite status the real way. Then again that went away when DL started giving out MQM's like candy 2-3 years ago with all the promos and now we have rollover.

I doubt and kind of hope DL doesn't match, elite inflation is out of hand if you ask me.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:18 am

Programs: AA, EXP. DL, DM 1MM. HHonors, Diamond. Hertz, PC. National, EE.
UGH! I hope they don't follow suit. I'll be happy if they double up on the regular miles, but not EQM, or before you know it, DM will be the new PM.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:22 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
We all know how desperate US is. The question is whether anybody else has that level of desperation. DL certainly does not, IMHO. I doubt anybody follows, unless maybe UA, just to make the potential union even less likely to be successful.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: DL - Diamond Medallion - 2 Million Miler; Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson GOLD. ParknGo loves me
Originally Posted by mnredfox
+1, go back to earning elite status the real way. Then again that went away when DL started giving out MQM's like candy 2-3 years ago with all the promos and now we have rollover.

I doubt and kind of hope DL doesn't match, elite inflation is out of hand if you ask me.
+1+1 -> miles in seats, at other than LUT Fares. That's where Delta's $$ comes from. Reward those making that contribution.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
If DL matches, it might be targeted to cities where DL is in competition with them.

A few years back they did this with status upgrades (nothing to FO or FO to GM) by taking one flight from any of about 14 eastern markets.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 8:23 am

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Make Elite ELITE....keep the posers with their fake status on T fares in the back of the bus where they belong.
I'm judolphin, and I disapprove this message.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by brad9696
+1+1 -> miles in seats, at other than LUT Fares. That's where Delta's $$ comes from. Reward those making that contribution.
When Delta gave 50% MQM for LUT fares, I stopped flying them. Many others did as well, and that was bad for Delta, even if you liked less competition for F upgrades.

When they started giving 100% again, I flew them again. You can't make a living off the 3% of flyers willing to overpay by 300% for their seats, unless you truly provide a premium product that people are willing to pay a premium for.

Everyone knows this is simply not the case -- the airlines' products are much too similar.

A so-obvious-it's-cliche counter-example: WN has been profitable for 37 straight years, while UA, DL, US have gone Chapter 11, NW and America West have been swallowed up, and BA is on its last gasp.

You do the math on which market is more important: counting on people with money to burn, or giving incentive for normal people paying normal fares to fly your airline.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 8:28 am

Programs: Skyteam
DL,

If you are reading this...
If you match the double MQM promotion, I promise to fly DL more! I will immediately book 3 tickets to Korea, 1 to Russia, and all my collegues will join the band wagon!
Old Apr 14, 2010, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by skchin
DL,

If you match the double MQM promotion, I promise to fly DL more! I will immediately book 3 tickets to Korea, 1 to Russia, and all my collegues will join the band wagon!
Yip, I actually spent an extra $400 or so on an international flight to upgrade my L fare to a K to get double MQMs.

I'm telling you, DL knows for a fact that promo made them a lot of money.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
I'd be fascinated to see if DL ticket sales go up significantly during a promo, especially in higher fares.

I know that during the promo, I bought almost all of my flights in higher fare buckets, often M or A. I don't do that when we're not in promo season, so I imagine the increased revenue helps them.

So I wonder if they sell many more tickets, or if they just sell higher priced tickets.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 8:45 am

Programs: WN A+CP, UAL, Marriott LTPPE
"Make Elite ELITE....keep the posers with their fake status on T fares in the back of the bus where they belong."

Originally Posted by judolphin
I'm judolphin, and I disapprove this message.
+1 I agree with Judolphin --- the main reason most of us are here on FT is to maximize the benifits we can get. I typically only worry about myself and not the posers in the back , front or middle of the plane
FLY SAFE
Old Apr 14, 2010, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by OHNOMRBILL
"Make Elite ELITE....keep the posers with their fake status on T fares in the back of the bus where they belong."

+1 I agree with Judolphin --- the main reason most of us are here on FT is to maximize the benifits we can get. I typically only worry about myself and not the posers in the back , front or middle of the plane
FLY SAFE
Not to mention most non-posers "earn" their status generally through flights paid by their employers.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:02 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by skchin
DL,

WOW, DELTA! Jump on it....4 more loss-leader T fares sold, for which you can give him unlimited F class upgrades on more loss leaders.

THIN the herd...there are too many "elites".
Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:20 am

WOW, DELTA! Jump on it....4 more loss-leader T fares sold, for which you can give him unlimited F class upgrades on more loss leaders.

THIN the herd...there are too many "elites".
No, DL's D/TEQM promos are K fare or higher. They'd be making at least another $1500-$2k on that example alone in exchange for bumping him up one elite tier.

And BTW, people who pay more for their seats are not a "more important" group of customers than those who pay less. There are a whole lot more of the latter than the former, and if you ignore them, you go out of business.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
This year, I'm not at all interested unless there are DEQMs for ANY booking class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.