Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New competition on MSP-LON

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by motytrah
My guess is free in F and BOB in Y. Though SY is fairly reasonable cost wise for the BOB products.

+1 on the price. But Petters hasn't been the owner in some time. Technically the US Gov't owns them as it's a profitable company in receivership. I just don't think Gimmicks are something the receiver would have them enter into. I also think they are filling the void that was left by Hobbit and Iceland Air has shown the 1-stop narrow body routes to Europe ex-MSP can work.

Be that as it may, the question is will this result in any changes from DL. Previously NW did a pretty good job matching prices of SY. Is superior routing and product enough for DL to get an extra $2000 on a family of 4 traveling?
Petters hasn't been sentenced yet. As far as I know, he's still the "owner" of what's left. Sun Country has been operated independently for quite some time.

Iceland Air at least stopped somewhere that you might visit. We actually flew Iceland air to Oslo one year because the overall itinerary was several hours shorter than what we were offered on NW/KL through AMS.

I doubt DL is sweating this. Sun Country doesn't interline with anyone, and with only one RT a week their appeal will be to a very limited audience.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:29 am

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by Every1 Get A Life
This route insults my intelligence.

Either stay 1 day or 8?
London is a nice place. I vote for 8.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by NWAFA
Refueling stops. That's a blast from the past! I remember many fuel stops in ANC to NRT.
Yeah, I wishes that I could go back into the time machines.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 6:00 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ADLFO
+1
Old Mar 18, 2010, 6:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by ADLFO
If you are so cheap that you take this ridiculous flight....then I doubt you want to spend the money it would take to visit for 8 days.

Just sayin.....
Old Mar 18, 2010, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
A few thoughts:

1) I would not be inclined to take this flight.

2) I can't see how a single one-stop flight per week is going to dramatically change the competitive dynamic. There is already tons of capacity to and from London and this hardly registers. Were it genuinely non-stop and more frequent, perhaps it might put some fear into DL, but they already compete with a lot of one-stop options as it is.

3) I'm not sure this is as bad of an option as it might appear at first glance. Is it really that much worse than an RJ + 752 routing on CO? Or a 752 on JFK-CPH with DL? I don't particularly like to fly narrow-bodies for such long flights, but plenty of people do it every day.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Every1 Get A Life
If you are so cheap that you take this ridiculous flight....then I doubt you want to spend the money it would take to visit for 8 days.

Just sayin.....
What a silly statement. Money saved can be spent elsewhere, e.g. on paying your family's hotel bills in London.

People forget that most of the real world does not consist of frequent flyers who fly in F and stay at Hiltons.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:07 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Planing to go to London in the summer. Fares are $1600. Hope this will result in some competition.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by fromYXU
Planing to go to London in the summer. Fares are $1600. Hope this will result in some competition.
Check KLM. I've seen some $1100 fares on the non-stops if you book under a KL code.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
For a family of 4, that's about $2,000 worth of thinking.

Personally, I suspect this is just a gimmick to enhance the marketability of Sun Country & pay more of Tom Petters' reparations.

Tom Petters, owner of Sun Country
I thought Petters' creditors now owned the airline. Surely the judge didn't allow him to keep it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.