New competition on MSP-LON

Old Mar 17, 2010, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

New competition on MSP-LON

Little SY has started booking MSP-LON (STN) for the summer. It seems to be pricing out $936.10 a/i r/t. DL is pricing out at $1430.00 a/i r/t. Will be interesting to see if DL let's this stand. SY does have a fueling stop and is narrow body, DL is 764.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 3:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
I had to look up SY... Sun Country airlines? to LON? interesting... I'd still pay the premium to fly on a real plane
Old Mar 17, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.175 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by pitbrian
I had to look up SY... Sun Country airlines? to LON? interesting... I'd still pay the premium to fly on a real plane
...It could be Ryanair...
Old Mar 17, 2010, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL DM
Is the meal service BOB on SY for the London flight?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.175 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by bubbashow
Could it also mean BYOB?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
That's a tough routing. Lost time in descent. Scheduled one hour fuel stop. Time lost in climb. Plus, it's ~175 miles off the efficient Great Circle routing.

Thrift is a virtue, but even hard-core thrifty types ought to think about this really hard.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Have fun flying a long haul on a 737 since I'm betting the airline wont be scheduling an allowance for people getting off the plane during the fuel stopover.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That's a tough routing. Lost time in descent. Scheduled one hour fuel stop. Time lost in climb. Plus, it's ~175 miles off the efficient Great Circle routing.

Thrift is a virtue, but even hard-core thrifty types ought to think about this really hard.
For a family of 4, that's about $2,000 worth of thinking.

Personally, I suspect this is just a gimmick to enhance the marketability of Sun Country & pay more of Tom Petters' reparations.

Tom Petters, owner of Sun Country
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL PM
Cranky flier blog had an posting about this- he speculated the route was due to a partnership with tour operators as there is only one outbound flight (friday) and one return flight (sunday).
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by fgirard
Could it also mean BYOB?
No, I think SY should have to get free meal during long TATL flight out of MSP-YQB-STN. It should have to tech stop in YQB to get refuel the plane and it will continued the flight to STN. Because 738 does not have enough range to be reachable into STN due to weight restrictions over TATL flight. This is even shorter the route over BOS-SNN.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by majorwibi
Have fun flying a long haul on a 737 since I'm betting the airline wont be scheduling an allowance for people getting off the plane during the fuel stopover.
No, it will have to stay onboard the aircraft. This is tech stop to get refuel the plane and it will continuation the flight to STN. Because they won't be allowed to get off the plane during fuel stop in YQB.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:42 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by N830MH
No, it will have to stay onboard the aircraft. This is tech stop to get refuel the plane and it will continuation the flight to STN. Because they won't be allowed to get off the plane during fuel stop in YQB.
Too bad you can't just buy a ticket from MSP - YQB or YQB - STN.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bubbashow
My guess is free in F and BOB in Y. Though SY is fairly reasonable cost wise for the BOB products.

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
For a family of 4, that's about $2,000 worth of thinking.

Personally, I suspect this is just a gimmick to enhance the marketability of Sun Country & pay more of Tom Petters' reparations.

Tom Petters, owner of Sun Country[/CENTER]
+1 on the price. But Petters hasn't been the owner in some time. Technically the US Gov't owns them as it's a profitable company in receivership. I just don't think Gimmicks are something the receiver would have them enter into. I also think they are filling the void that was left by Hobbit and Iceland Air has shown the 1-stop narrow body routes to Europe ex-MSP can work.

Be that as it may, the question is will this result in any changes from DL. Previously NW did a pretty good job matching prices of SY. Is superior routing and product enough for DL to get an extra $2000 on a family of 4 traveling?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:52 pm

Refueling stops. That's a blast from the past! I remember many fuel stops in ANC to NRT.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond
This route insults my intelligence.

Either stay 1 day or 8?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.