Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:31 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by vincentharris
This was impressive especially since PRE BOARDING had NOT even begun yet.

Needless to say I waited until the VERY VERY end to board (to the point where the GA called my name) I was not even going to attempt to fight that mess.....
That's the best time to board - I don't travel with a backpack or rollerboard plus I'm in an aisle seat in FC or EC so there is no reason to get on early and be subjected to getting smacked in the head by every fifth passenger's carry-on. Only problem is the occasional seat squatter but that is another thread.

Years ago I realized that if I get on as the FA is hitting me on the a$$ with the door I'l arrive at the same time as the first to board. And the jet way is clear by then so no standing in a cold/hot tube.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
This was impressive especially since PRE BOARDING had NOT even begun yet.

Needless to say I waited until the VERY VERY end to board (to the point where the GA called my name) I was not even going to attempt to fight that mess.....

Is that A6 @ STL? It's always a F'ed up mess.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by DLDiamond2013
Hate hate hate the boarding pillars. It’s total Southwest style. But beyond that, everyone just stands even more needlessly now, and if you don’t stand, you’ll be at the end of the line and really have no chance at overhead bin space (Premium and Sky zones exempt from worrying). If you are tired and want to sit before the flight, you’re screwed as the pillar line is full and you’ll be at the end of boarding. In ATL they are horrific as the boarding process spills into the main concourse walkway so passengers trying to walk beyond a gate that is boarding have to wind through a ridiculous maze of people. They’re awful and I’ve found them awful since they were introduced. I cannot find how they help boarding at all and do several things to seriously downgrade the entire process. As if that weren’t enough, the gate chairs in ATL are being replaced with hard plastic likely under the assumption that people are going to stand at the pillars (or the hard chairs will force people to stand at the pillars).
Sitting in those chairs made me appreciate EWR. If that's not a sign of the apocalypse, I don't know what is
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:42 am
Suspended

WN's horrific system causes other headaches...line jumpers, line licing (b's crowdiing the lines to be ready before A's are done), confused kettles lining up out of turn, and EBCI seat saving scams.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Not sure I understand the hate about the pillars. What's the objection to them? People will still crowd the gate. At least with the pillars it's easier to board with your zone. Flying out of Atlanta during peak hours usually means about 75-100 people with SkyPriority, so at least the pillars mean that it's a little easier to board in PREM without having to push through a crowd. If anything people that hate gate lice should love it - it means they can sit down until the PREM (or SKY) is almost empty and then just walk through it - as opposed to trying to parade through a bunch of SKY people when PREM is almost done boarding.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I initially liked the pillars but I had less than an ideal experience with them last Friday night (Sat AM) on the LAX>MSP red-eye from T2. First, wow, T2 is a dump. I've only ever been in T3 since the switch. I lined up in the already formidable SkyPriority line. I was in a B752 C+ row with no seats in front so I needed bin room which is normally not an issue for me and why I normally am last to board if I'm not up front. Anyway, I digress. Most of us lined up in the SkyPriority channel in a nice vertical line. They called us and then all of these swarming people just sort of merged ahead of us. They had arrived later and had not been waiting in the SP line. I'm from Wisconsin, we believe in lines and not cutting. It drove me nuts to see 1-2 dozen people "merge" ahead of those of us who got into the proper line. Not amused. And I really had to squish my backpack into the overhead bin because, not surprisingly, it was quite full when I finally got on the plane.

Last edited by bergamini; Dec 11, 2017 at 2:28 pm
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
That is crappy behavior but quite frankly is a result of not usually having the pillars (in my opinion). SKY gate lice are used to being in an blob sort of intermingled with PREM and Zone 1 passengers - and then it's a "dodge and duck" path through the blob to get to the gate (because they have to cut through the zone 1 people desperate to get a chance for overhead bin space since flying out of Atlanta in Zone 1 means a risk of checking a bag). Everyone does this (because they have to slip through either SKY or Zone 1 passengers) so the concept of a line is sort of lost on people. If the pillars were instituted everywhere this tendency/forced habit would go away.

I came from flying United and the United boarding process is much nicer than Delta's (in my opinion) because of the dedicated lanes on virtually all flights except RJs. I'm 100% for the pillars.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by Start_at_UIN
Is that A6 @ STL? It's always a F'ed up mess.
Ding ding ding we have a winner, impressive on getting that.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
LAX gates 25 and 26 in Terminal 3 October 25th. My flight to ATL was delayed. Gate agents at 26 told everyone to get in line 45 minutes before departure. Flight to MCO at Gate 25 was departing in the same time frame. Note the adjacent Premium lanes for both gates. Was hard to figure out the commingled ATL and MCO FC lines and who was lining up for which. Given the locals sense of humor, the comparisons between the gate area and the 405 were flying. What a mess!
I also got a laugh in another flight out of LAX where the pillars for zones 1, 2 and 3 were so close together that the pax would have literally had to squeeze through to board.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL PM
I love the pillars. At least they're a start in sorting out where to stand and where not to stand. I suffer badly from sciatica. Standing relieves the pain; staying seated until my zone is called is painful. Walking is fine, but the terminals I frequent are usually a zoo (LAX/ATL/SFO). Too often the DL app announces the flight is boarding, so we amble to the gate and guess what? They're not boarding. Sometimes they're not boarding for 20 minutes, half an hour, or more. I suppose I could go stand by the trash bins or up against the wall next to the bathrooms instead of in my line, but why would I want to do that when I can just go stand in my zone line? At the gates where they've taken out seating in favor of putting in some concession or other, there is often nowhere to sit anyway. So if people have to stand, they may as well stand somewhere in the vicinity of where they'll eventually need to go. At least the pillars break the one huge mass of confusion into several smaller masses of confusion.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
I think the pillars help to reduce the number of people boarding in a different zone to their assigned one (99% of the time a zone before their own). Psychologically I think the lice self separate into the right zone.

Now if only the GAs would enforce people not boarding out of sequence, the lice problem would dramatically reduce, I think.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rickg523
But WN assigns Boarding Line Numbers. And believe me, that is self-policed by the people in line. Southwest, despite your assumptions, has the most orderly boarding system out there. And might I add, they accomplish this with probably the least experienced passenger demo out there. If you want orderly boarding, every airline ought to employ boarding line numbers, driven by status and seat assignment if those pertain. If you have Boarding Line Numbers, the posts simply guide people where to line up.
Self policed? Hardly. Line jumpers abound, not to mention the old EBCI trick where one buys it and saves seats for their high C companions..and GA's that don't bat an eye when A54 boards with A32. Most people around a WN flight are kettles who are too ignorant to do self policing of a system they don't even comprehend.

The very boarding line process itself is just a crowded gate lice situation with a half hearted attempt at order.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
Ding ding ding we have a winner, impressive on getting that.
I'll PM you where to send my trophy.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by tanglin
Now if only the GAs would enforce people not boarding out of sequence, the lice problem would dramatically reduce, I think.
Worth a JWD if they demote them to Zone 4 for trying.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:18 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by tanglin

I don't see why you think that. There's nothing to indicate there is a large number of zone-breakers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.