Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

CO PC club closing in DEN - SC opportunity?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2010, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG

Since the split of Continental from Skyteam, there have been a few airports - and Denver being one of the notables - where there is now a gap in the SkyClub lounge access.

Now that Continental has announced that they are closing the DEN President's Club, perhaps Delta could revisit opening a SkyClub in DEN - possibly taking over the current President Club, or reopening in the former space. With the loss of two clubs and empty lease space, one would think Delta could negotiate for more preferential leasing rates from DIA?

DEN, PHX and LAS are all frequent destinations for me and there is no SkyClub in any - the west has some big gaps these days.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 12:03 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Originally Posted by SamuelS
Now that Continental has announced that they are closing the DEN President's Club, perhaps Delta could revisit opening a SkyClub in DEN - possibly taking over the current President Club, or reopening in the former space. With the loss of two clubs and empty lease space, one would think Delta could negotiate for more preferential leasing rates from DIA?
Reopening the former space would be the only viable scenario, since the PC is in Concourse A, and DL/NW gates are in Concourse C. There would not be enough open gates in Concourse A to support DL ops, so a swap isn't practical.

And, nothing has been stopping DL from reopening the Crown Room.

I think DL regards DEN as a spoke only at this time, but one could speculate about the possibility of Frontier/Midwest becoming a total code share partner with DL, and elevating SkyTeam to hub status at DEN. It might be a win/win for both, or DL might think it would dilute SLC and other hubs, or Republic might think they would lose too much in connections. I don't know.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL Plat, CO Silver, Marriott Plat, Starwood Gold, Hertz PC
A Gate Agent at DEN stated that they had the Crown Room/SC space until something like 2012. With the merger of NW, they now have 5 active gates and a lot of flights. It just tickes me off everytime I see the Admiral's Club sign and the brown glued-on cover hiding the old Crown Room sign. And American only has two gates and a hand full of flights....
Old Mar 6, 2010, 3:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL GM, DL SkyClub
As an AS Board Room member, I had no idea this was happening (because the CO room was our access at DEN). What about the thought of running a combined AS/DL lounge at DEN a la the old CO/NW room at ORD? AS and DL's combined ops at DEN could easily make one viable let alone sharing the costs. Anyone have thoughts on that?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: AF, UA, BA/IB, VS, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
@meteorologist - i think that is a great idea. I just sent delta a note and links to the 10 threads about this topic on flyertalk.

could you and everyone else do the same??
Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:44 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by andrew10412
@meteorologist - i think that is a great idea. I just sent delta a note and links to the 10 threads about this topic on flyertalk.

could you and everyone else do the same??
That ship has sailed. AA and BA now occupy the space vacated by the CO Presidents Club in A.

About the only place for Delta (and since they're still in C) is either the original Crown Room location or the space vacated by AA across the corridor.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: AF, UA, BA/IB, VS, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
@spiff - even better at the C Gates!

can you write a note to Delta too??
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Flew through DEN a couple of weeks ago. Was shocked not to see a SC there. Asked the GAs and they said there wasn't enough demand to justify the club...not enough members or elites using it. Seemed odd to me since they fly larger jets in there. It's certainly a gap in SC coverage.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
The problem is Delta doesn't realize that there are a lot of Plat Amex users who would use it. Also if they were smart and started DEN-LAX (3+ times a day) they'd really need to open one as that would mean one stop to Australia and to compete on that you want to have a lounge everywhere.

There are four things Delta needs to do at DEN:
1) SkyClub
2) DEN-LAX flight, LAX is a focus/hub without a direct flight from DEN
3) Add gate information displays
4) Add more check-in space (they have a lot of empty space next to them with Continental's merger with United. I have seen the lines here as over an hour during peak season in the first class line. That is just unacceptable.

Also it's good to note that Delta is the only one of the big three that doesn't have a lounge at all of the three busiest airports in the country. Delta, that isn't best in class, that is a reason people should fly on other airlines.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:31 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by skyvanman
The problem is Delta doesn't realize that there are a lot of Plat Amex users who would use it.
Delta should know which of their FFs are Plat AMEX holders. After all, you can only access the SC when you're flying Delta (I think they barcode read your BP when you enter).
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
Originally Posted by AUDirt
Delta should know which of their FFs are Plat AMEX holders. After all, you can only access the SC when you're flying Delta (I think they barcode read your BP when you enter).
Really? You do realize this is Delta IT you're talking about. You know the guys can't figure out why their system won't let elites get seat assignments, and the very same Delta with a non-functioning award chart.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by skyvanman
Really? You do realize this is Delta IT you're talking about. You know the guys can't figure out why their system won't let elites get seat assignments, and the very same Delta with a non-functioning award chart.
Get the Revenue Protection Unit on it. They seem to be the only ones who can make DL IT changes on the fly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.