Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

If flying partner is silver, when does upgrade occur?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If flying partner is silver, when does upgrade occur?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2010, 9:17 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by donnak
Hiya everyone. Okay. On NWA as a platinum, if my companion was silver or gold, they got upgraded with me at the 5 day window. (Often actually the upgrades for me were at 6 days) Now on delta, it's confusing to me. I'm flying Thursday to SFO and still haven't been upgraded. My companion is silver. Not at the 5 day or 3 day windows. When I flew to LAS a few weeks ago with a gold friend, I also didn't get upgraded at the 5 day window but was suddenly upgraded 2 days out. Should I no longer book a companion with me? Do they look at the highest or lowest status? Anyone know?
If your companion has no status, the chances of an upgrade are very slim. You will be on the upgrade list at the gate with most silvers. The last time a companion and I got upgraded was about 4 years ago. You can:
  1. Have separate reservations, i.e., you will have a high chance and your companion none, or
  2. Do it together, and your status will be same as his (or lowest if he has none)
Old Apr 5, 2010, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by YesLetsDiscuss
Regardless of the language in the rules, I can confirm that if available, you will be upgraded at the time of the lower status person on your PNR, which would be Silver (1 day).

My wife (FO) and I (GM) have traveled together a few times and have been upgraded at 1 day or earlier.
I can confirm that is the way it works as well. I'm Platinum and wife is Silver. We upgraded at the 1 day mark.

On that note, I was pleasantly surprised. We were 3 for 4 on upgrades. MCO > ATL > DCA and back. Only the ATL > DCA going up flight did we ride in coach (and that wasn't bad as exit row MD90 isn't bad as that goes.)
Old Apr 5, 2010, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by rcbarton
But as I found out to my chagrin this morning, fare class for companion w. no status must be K or higher.
A cruel joke on the ex-NW who recall K being the equivalent of Delta's T...
Old May 7, 2010, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
I am a gold and am on the same reservation as a silver. We did not get upgraded prior to check in.

Just checked in (both passengers at once), and the upgrade list shows that we are separated by two others on the upgrade list. I assume this means I am grouped with the golds and he is with the silver elites? I can't think of any other way we wouldn't be next to each other on the upgrade list if we were both being considered silvers (identical fare class, etc.) Does this mean that people on the same reservation are treated per the status of the "lower" passenger prior to the airport list, but then we are split at the airport and each treated according to our own status?

We only wanted the upgrade if both of us got it, but I guess we can make that request at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.