Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Simple solutions DL management could implement -- if they wanted to

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simple solutions DL management could implement -- if they wanted to

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
One simple fix that I'd like to see is expanded premium seats reserved in coach.

As of right now, there are typically four rows of preferred seats in Y on each flight - first two (non-bulkhead) rows, plus the (typical) two exit rows.

One of the things I found that NW did rather well was have no less than seven rows of preferred Y seats on their flights.

Advantages to this are that elites/HVCs (which seem to be a priority right now in Atlanta) have better choices of Y seats (especially closer to departure) - more likely for them to get aisles/windows, rather than grabbing middles or waiting to the airport for a seat assignment.

Additionally, it opens up the odds of more of those seats being available at the airport, allowing non-elites to have a better chance of sitting together if they were seperated.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by motytrah
By the time everyone is boarded the GA is under pressure to get the door closed and move to the next flight.
Logic & understanding right there.

Originally Posted by mersk862
One simple fix that I'd like to see is expanded premium seats reserved in coach.

As of right now, there are typically four rows of preferred seats in Y on each flight - first two (non-bulkhead) rows, plus the (typical) two exit rows.

One of the things I found that NW did rather well was have no less than seven rows of preferred Y seats on their flights.

Advantages to this are that elites/HVCs (which seem to be a priority right now in Atlanta) have better choices of Y seats (especially closer to departure) - more likely for them to get aisles/windows, rather than grabbing middles or waiting to the airport for a seat assignment.

Additionally, it opens up the odds of more of those seats being available at the airport, allowing non-elites to have a better chance of sitting together if they were seperated.
VERY good point. Booking a flight a week out I'm often left with middles & the hope that, if my upgrade doesn't clear, I get one of the preferred seats that just opened up by someone else upgrade clearing.

Last edited by WBurcham; Feb 26, 2010 at 3:22 pm
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
There would be no capital investment, no new people hired, no computer programming required to do it.
I'm not sure that's true. I think the software may automatically take any flight number that arrives and then departs the same airport on the same day and count it as a direct flight.

DL could probably work around that by not having the same flight number arrive and depart the same airport though.

I think there's also a revenue component... I don't think its a coincidence that the only way to get from MSP to SIN is using the same flight number on both sides of NRT.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Ah, the good old days, when we were taught to save memory by writing self-modifying code in 360 assembly class ...
Did you have to punch out the chads on the cards with rocks?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bmchris
I find a lot of the posts that offer suggestions cater to a small subset of flyers. Things like getting those 1-2 folks from Y to F.
Yanking flyers from the back to the front to fill up empty seats is nothing short of good free advertising.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
CO has a Managing Director of Customer Experience (CO Insider) who is an interface between its customers and the airline's operations. He's (presumably) senior enough to have some influence in resolving the issues that come to his attention (both large and small) and seems to have a keen sense of airline economics. His communication skills are second to none, and he has a background in IT which helps them deliver truly "Best in class" customer-facing systems.

Who is his counterpart at DL? Is there even one? Maybe that's the problem.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311
Yanking flyers from the back to the front to fill up empty seats is nothing short of good free advertising.
Really - isn't it also saying why pay when you can get it for free? Also folks without status who paid a higher fare may feel short changed.

Overall, I do agree with the action proposed, but there are other considerations. There is rarely a straight silver bullet.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 3:24 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by motytrah
In the grand scheme of things it's likely just a green screen report that would have to be written to tell the GA the order of people to move in Y. If anything the issue is process and the resource. By the time everyone is boarded the GA is under pressure to get the door closed and move to the next flight.
Perhaps the Delta scanners/computers at the gates are incapable of doing this, but the NW system did, so the precedent for the GA coming back to Y to move customers up to F does exist for part of the current DL.

Why the scanner removes you off the UG list at boarding makes no sense. In terms of getting a flight boarded and off faster, it encourages customers to hang back and not board until later in the boarding process in hopes of getting higher on the UG list, as others above them are removed by the scanner.

While only a few customers would probably be directly impacted (those moved from Y to F), the overall effect would be a faster more orderly boarding process for all flights, if the UG list were adhered to even after boarding the plane.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Did you have to punch out the chads on the cards with rocks?
We used an ultra-modern O29 keypunch:

Old Feb 26, 2010, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by ClydeParks

Or allow customer service reps the ability to handle customer service issues with one phone call. This decreases call volume and increases customer satisfaction.
Excellent idea. So weird all of the disempowered PM agents who are at the mercy of their computers--even when it defies logic, booking rules, etc--if things don't autoprice, they can't do anything (both with revenue and award tix) other than transfer you.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by Stripe
CO has a Managing Director of Customer Experience (CO Insider) who is an interface between its customers and the airline's operations. He's (presumably) senior enough to have some influence in resolving the issues that come to his attention (both large and small) and seems to have a keen sense of airline economics. His communication skills are second to none, and he has a background in IT which helps them deliver truly "Best in class" customer-facing systems.

Who is his counterpart at DL? Is there even one? Maybe that's the problem.
Yeah, I like SMI, but it is more than obvious that DL has not empowered him the way CO Insider is with CO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.