Wiki Posts
Search

Preboards; How many can accompany?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Preboards; How many can accompany?

The other thread got me thinking. So, over the last few years I have often laughed in amusement and frustration about a certain aspect of the pre-boarding process. Last week at LAX was a fine example. When preboards were called, one women in a wheelchair was wheeled up to the gate from one side, and a man with a slight limp walked up from the other. With them were 8 family members…..8. At the end, over 15 people boarded with the 2 preboards.

At what point does this become ridiculous? Does Delta just choose not to enforce any sort of policy regarding how many people are allowed to board with a preboard? Or is there one at all? Please don’t misunderstand, I completely agree and even praise Delta for allowing preboarding for those who require it, but at what point is inviting the husband, daughter, son, cousin, that guy you met at McDonalds before the flight, his daughter, and that girl-you-ran-into-at-the-security-check-point-that-you-met-once, become absolutely ridiculous? This particular flight was overbooked by 20 and the three PM’s standing next to me were having quite a discussion about the very same thing with regards to being able to have space above their seat for luggage and enjoy the “privilege” of Zone 2.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
the last time i flew wn from slc->lax, i had switched flights on the way to the airport, and bought the last seat on the plane, which was business select position #A2. it cost something like $10 extra, and i was thinking, "are people really that cheap they won't pony up $10 for better seating and a free drink"?

but when i board there had to be something like 20-30 preboards already on the plane, with all the good exit row seats taken.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:31 pm

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
Those 3 PMs need to chill a little and relax. 15 people will not take the OH space.

Besides it does cut both ways. I am sure the non SM folks think it's ridiculous that SM members get to board first.

As someone wrote before: "In my airline" to make boarding fair it should be done by fare, price, and carry on luggage. That way status does not give anyone a ridiculous (pun intended) advantage.

A non SM with a high coach fare should board in ZONE 2, ahead of a PM with a LUT fare, doncha agree?

What happened to you get what you pay for?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by PepeBorja
A non SM with a high coach fare should board in ZONE 2, ahead of a PM with a LUT fare, doncha agree?

What happened to you get what you pay for?
Disagree completely.

Last year I did 40 EQS on United, mostly on full-fare tickets (F and full Y). I only had 3 segments on non-full fare flights on United. I'd think at the end of the day, on those three flights, I'm still a more valuable customer over the longer term value instead of the short term, immediate concern.

Take away my perks for longer-term loyalty, and I'll take my money elsewhere. I'm sure there are plenty of other airlines other there that will recognize my loyalty and take those full-fare dollars over a very short-term decision.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by edscholl
the last time i flew wn from slc->lax, i had switched flights on the way to the airport, and bought the last seat on the plane, which was business select position #A2. it cost something like $10 extra, and i was thinking, "are people really that cheap they won't pony up $10 for better seating and a free drink"?

but when i board there had to be something like 20-30 preboards already on the plane, with all the good exit row seats taken.
My question is why were the preboards allowed to take exit row seating? Isn't that against FAA requirements for exit row seating?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.