Wiki Posts
Search

CLE-DTW

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2010, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
CLE-DTW

I noticed looking at the new schedule Delta has reduced CLE-DTW to 4 roundtrips a day. Their used to be 6-7 a few years back. They are all RJ's to.
NW used to fly alot of DC9's and even Airbuses on the route.
I fly CO most of the time but when CO was Skyteam I would be routed on NW and DL flights. From observation, the CLE-DTW flights look packed all the time. Alot of people making connections. CO dropped CLE-DTW a few years back so I hope they may reinstate the service. 4 flights a day to a large hub is not really enough.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:01 pm

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
It's a result of CO leaving Skyteam. Previously this was a hub-to-hub route (pax originating in DTW could fly DTW-(NW)-CLE-(CO)-XXX, for example, or segment runners could route YYY-CLE-DTW-ZZZ) but it is now a hub-to-spoke route serving only O&D.

The total Skyteam traffic through CLE is a pale shadow of what it was 6 months ago; in fact the current schedule is CRJ and ER4 only, not even a CR7 or E75 left, let alone mainline.

Given the flights to the other hubs (7x to ATL, 3x to CVG, 3x to JFK, 3x to MEM, 5x to MSP), 4 RJs per day actually seems like a generous frequency for such a short flight.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Just looking back at history, North Central and Republic had at least 6 flights per day to DTW which was not really a full hub like it is now. Also everything is RJ's so that reduces capacity.
Whats up with the gate arrangment at CLE. Delta is using both the old NW gates and their gates. They closed 1 gate on each concourse, C4 totally empty, and on the A concourse they put a newstand where the gate was. Why not consolidate operations
on one concourse like they are doing at other airports. Another suggestion why not
have UA move to where the old NW gates are and have NW (DL) move to UA gates if more are needed. This would also allow UA customers to be close to the PC and UA gates. Since at CLE once you clear security you have complete airport access I do see UA customers use the PC but it's a hike to get there.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd say it's at least partly seasonal. It gets bumped to 6 flights a day starting on April 6th. Lots of cities in Michigan like AZO, FNT, LAN, and TVC that used to get mainline are now RJ only as well. The exception is MBS that still gets a DC9 for the 7:00AM flight to DTW. Those Dow folks sure must have some pull.

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 24, 2010 at 4:41 am
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:49 am
Original Poster

They should spread the RJ's out to other cities, so at least get some mainline airplanes.
Many cities do have split RJ/Mainline. I wounder if the cities that are all RJ have lower
operating costs. I asked a DL gate agent before the merger why CLE was all RJ and he said we had one of the largest landing fee charge of all DL cities. CVG as a hub has alot of RJ's like we do with CO.
With NW we would see an airbus in the schedule at least to MSP on occassion. Many of the DTW flights were DC9's. Some of the DTW trips were even Airbuses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.