FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Strategy for KE award flights using DL miles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1054097-strategy-ke-award-flights-using-dl-miles.html)

mtkeller Nov 3, 2012 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by llamagatekeeper (Post 19617221)
When was this announced and do you have a link? I was looking forward to this service...

http://airlineroute.net/2012/11/02/ke-380-w12/

llamagatekeeper Nov 5, 2012 7:20 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller (Post 19617847)

Thanks for that.

Also, is it now true that the agents no longer have to do a "long-sell" to get the seats? That's what the agent below claimed!

I also had an agent claim that they can no longer put holds on awards if you have enough miles in your account. I pushed back and asked when it went that policy started and she replied "fine sir, how long would you like the hold for?"...

Deemus7 Nov 19, 2012 8:42 am

So sorry for the newbie question here, but I know that EF only lists certain KE routes. If I find one of those routes (ICN-NRT) with O4 and it doesn't fall within DL's blackout dates, shouldn't that be bookable with DL miles? Nothing is showing when trying to pull up availability through DL.com.

Also, has anyone had luck finding 4 award seats in J on the same flight from LAX-ICN or ICN-LAX? Looking for next July...

Thanks!

mtkeller Nov 19, 2012 9:57 am

The O inventory EF shows (generally Korea-Japan routes) is always a couple more than you can get with DL miles. So O4 probably translates to 2 seats available with DL miles. Does it how up if you search for just one seat?

GH83 Dec 6, 2012 7:42 pm

I managed to trick the calendar into showing me a seat on the LAX-ICN 380, and it even let me get to the booking screen. I tried the same trick for JFK-ICN (which is what I want), got the "Select" button to show, but it wouldn't take me to the booking screen. Multiple agents were unable to book it, but I'll keep trying.

mnredfox Dec 7, 2012 12:49 am

Right now have itin to get SFO-PVG via NRT on DL in J. SFO-NRT on 767 (not flat bed) and NRT-PVG on DL's A330 (old NWA WBC style seats).

SFO-ICN-PVG has opened up on KE's 777 And A333 respectively. Should I switch? Is KE's 777 better than DL's 767 seats for J?

RealHJ Dec 7, 2012 1:03 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox (Post 19811603)
Right now have itin to get SFO-PVG via NRT on DL in J. SFO-NRT on 767 (not flat bed) and NRT-PVG on DL's A330 (old NWA WBC style seats).

SFO-ICN-PVG has opened up on KE's 777 And A333 respectively. Should I switch? Is KE's 777 better than DL's 767 seats for J?

Service and food is undoubtedly better on KE.
Take the steak. KE has their own ranch and raises their own cattle - they do not import or buy their beef from the outside but grow their own. It's as good at or better than most steakhouses and is cooked to order.

Make sure to check here to see what specific aircraft KE has on your route (compare to the seatmap):
http://www.koreanair.com/local/na/gd...u/of/au_of.jsp

KE 777-300s both are good: both have truly 180 degree parallel to the floor liet flat Prestige Sleeper (as good sleep as in MU 33E, more comfortable than any DL aircraft as it's regular rectangular shape with no funny edges or corners or cutouts or legs in 'coffin')

KE 777-200 has one Prestige Sleeper (excellent) one Prestige Plus (OK) config. Prestige Plus is on par with NW WBC A330 seating: angled lie flat. Of course superior to the 1980's style recliner 767-300ERs on DL (but not as good as DL 767-400s lie flats).

KE A330-300 and A330-200 are the same as 777-200: one Plus and one Sleeper config for each.

So, you have to look at the specific aircraft your route has, you can't generalize just based on the type.

But even if you get Prestige Plus, it is as good at NW (DL) A330, better than DL 767-300ER. And of course Prestige Sleeper beats any DL config for sheer sleeping comfort (though not all seats are direct aisle).

mnredfox Dec 7, 2012 1:26 am

Originally Posted by RealHJ (Post 19811637)
Service and food is undoubtedly better on KE.
Take the steak. KE has their own ranch and raises their own cattle - they do not import or buy their beef from the outside but grow their own. It's as good at or better than most steakhouses and is cooked to order.

Make sure to check here to see what specific aircraft KE has on your route (compare to the seatmap):
http://www.koreanair.com/local/na/gd...u/of/au_of.jsp

KE 777-300s both are good: both have truly 180 degree parallel to the floor liet flat Prestige Sleeper (as good sleep as in MU 33E, more comfortable than any DL aircraft as it's regular rectangular shape with no funny edges or corners or cutouts or legs in 'coffin')

KE 777-200 has one Prestige Sleeper (excellent) one Prestige Plus (OK) config. Prestige Plus is on par with NW WBC A330 seating: angled lie flat. Of course superior to the 1980's style recliner 767-300ERs on DL (but not as good as DL 767-400s lie flats).

KE A330-300 and A330-200 are the same as 777-200: one Plus and one Sleeper config for each.

So, you have to look at the specific aircraft your route has, you can't generalize just based on the type.

But even if you get Prestige Plus, it is as good at NW (DL) A330, better than DL 767-300ER. And of course Prestige Sleeper beats any DL config for sheer sleeping comfort (though not all seats are direct aisle).

After looking at it, LAX-ICN (I'm would fly SFO-LAX on DL first) is on 77W, which appears to be 777-300 V2 according to seatguru.com. Seatguru says it's a flatbed. Sounds like this is the way to go!

ICN-PVG is A333, seems to be pretty much same seat as DL, but maybe 1" wider.

WRT to the link too bad DL doesn't have anything like that. DL has info on seats like seatguru, but no pictures of what the J seats look like.

mnredfox Dec 7, 2012 1:40 am

Update, adding the SFO-LAX puts my trip over MPM, so bumps 120K to 145K. Not worth it to fly KE on the way out. I'll see if I can find SFO-ICN-PVG. Thanks for the info though.

mtkeller Dec 7, 2012 6:01 am

Originally Posted by RealHJ (Post 19811637)

No longer the case. The A330s have all been converted to Prestige Sleeper. The only Prestige Plus seats left are on the 744s and half of the 772s. It appears that those birds will not be converted because the 744s will be retired and the 772s with Plus have a different lav/galley/door configuration than those with Sleeper, so reconfiguration might prove too much of a hassle.

mtkeller Dec 7, 2012 6:03 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox (Post 19811712)
Update, adding the SFO-LAX puts my trip over MPM, so bumps 120K to 145K. Not worth it to fly KE on the way out. I'll see if I can find SFO-ICN-PVG. Thanks for the info though.

Not sure of your travel dates, but MU is starting SFO-PVG on some variant of A332 (maybe 33E…can't get their website to work this morning) in the first quarter or so of next year. They seem stingy with award space TPAC, but if it's there and 33E, that might be your best bet.

RealHJ Dec 7, 2012 9:37 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller (Post 19812351)
No longer the case. The A330s have all been converted to Prestige Sleeper. The only Prestige Plus seats left are on the 744s and half of the 772s. It appears that those birds will not be converted because the 744s will be retired and the 772s with Plus have a different lav/galley/door configuration than those with Sleeper, so reconfiguration might prove too much of a hassle.

Then I guess the KE site must be out of date. (I thought they still had Prestige Plus A330s for short regional flights.)

Anyhow, I should have really sent posted this URL:
http://www.koreanair.com/local/na/gp...if_ni_main.jsp

This takes the guesswork out of it and shows the exact type of seating on the exact flight on the exact date. (I sure wish that other airlines, esp. ones with lots of different aircraft configs, had something like this.)

For example KE1/2 ICN-LAX is Prestige Sleeper while KE11/12 ICN-LAX is Prestige Plus. KE23/24 ICN-SFO is Prestige Sleeper.

mtkeller Dec 7, 2012 10:07 am

Originally Posted by RealHJ (Post 19813421)
Then I guess the KE site must be out of date. (I thought they still had Prestige Plus A330s for short regional flights.)

There's a thread in the KE forum where someone has been providing updates on the fleet updates. He's indicated that it's done. I imagine they'll remove the old seat maps before too long.