FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Strategy for KE award flights using DL miles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1054097-strategy-ke-award-flights-using-dl-miles.html)

jmertic Oct 15, 10 10:25 am

Thanks to all the great information on this thread ( and very helpful Delta agent, which often seems to be the exception rather than the norm ), was able to score two low level business awards for 2 weeks from now.

CLE-DTW-LAX DL Coach
LAX-ICN KE Prestige ( Sleeper )
ICN-ORD KE Prestige ( Plus )
ORD-CVG-CLE DL Coach

Thanks everyone for your tips in helping me out!

thepointsguy Oct 15, 10 10:28 am

Originally Posted by jmertic (Post 14951157)
Thanks to all the great information on this thread ( and very helpful Delta agent, which often seems to be the exception rather than the norm ), was able to score two low level business awards for 2 weeks from now.

CLE-DTW-LAX DL Coach
ORD-CVG-CLE DL Coach

Just curious- how many miles did it cost and what were taxes/fees?

jmertic Oct 15, 10 11:17 am

120k miles and around $50 taxes per person

randidliyo Oct 15, 10 12:47 pm

Yes, this is a good thread. I'm currently trying to book some flights on KE using DL miles and I'd like to know what booking class KE uses for award redemptions using DL miles? Did I miss it? I see that A class is for their own miles, but what bucket should I be looking for if I want to book a KE award ticket with DL mile? economy? biz? first?

TIA,
Randidliyo

Jaimito Cartero Oct 15, 10 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by jmertic (Post 14951157)

CLE-DTW-LAX DL Coach
ORD-CVG-CLE DL Coach

No FC on any of the domestic legs? Sad.

bobbybrown Oct 15, 10 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by randidliyo (Post 14951995)
I'm currently trying to book some flights on KE using DL miles and I'd like to know what booking class KE uses for award redemptions using DL miles?

A is award first class, but you cannot redeem it unless using KE miles.. pretty much.
D is award business class, both sleeper and non-sleeper.
U is award economy class.

jmertic Oct 15, 10 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 14952398)
No FC on any of the domestic legs? Sad.

As it turns out, I called today when I saw some domestic first class become available for the outbound. Now for 120k miles per person I got:

CLE-CVG DL Coach
CVG-LAX DL First
ORD-CVG-CLE DL Coach

The coach segments are all single class RJs. I'm trying to switch to an earlier flight to LAX if I can since now I have a 1:28 connection, which is a bit tight. PM award redeposits are a lifesaver :-).

jkazski Oct 15, 10 2:54 pm

You'll love the KE Experience

Just flew coach over from Lax to Inc on the 747. Then took the 777 from ICN to HKG. Both products were way better then the DL product in Y. The flight attendants are very helpful, very friendly, and very attentive. The seat pitch was acceptable and I am 6'1". I am flying back in C from HKG to INC to LAS. I used a total of 90K for the whole trip.

Y is fine on the way over since it is a night flight from LAX. I used the KE Lounge in ICN to take a shower and have some breakfast.

I'm looking forward to my return trip in C on KE. This is the first time I flew KE and I can surely attest to their "Excellence in Flight" campaign.

Next time air travel calls for me to Asia, I'm calling DL elite line to use my miles to travel on KE.

s1c3r1a1b3b3l1e1 Oct 15, 10 6:07 pm

I just booked HNL-ICN-HNL over Thanksgiving in J for 70k miles on KE. I had no problem getting the flights. It just made me sad that I used 50k miles for a one-year Skyclub membership. I am realizing that there is at least some value out there for Skypesos as long as it is not on DL metal.

Also, just to make sure I am clear: Prestige Plus is layflat seats, and Prestige Sleeper is full flat seats?

Finally, does anyone have an answer more recently about flying US-ICN-SYD and how that prices out?

s1c3r1a1b3b3l1e1 Oct 15, 10 6:16 pm

Also, the conversation was very interesting as well on the Platinum line. The agent started off by saying that he would have to check if it was blacked out because most of the time it is. Then after he booked it, he mentioned how nice it was to finally be able to book something using miles, and that he feels so bad telling people all the time that there is nothing available in the low miles redemption level. He mentioned that it is quite clear to him that DL is extremely stingy on its award availability.

Jaimito Cartero Oct 15, 10 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by s1c3r1a1b3b3l1e1 (Post 14953764)

Finally, does anyone have an answer more recently about flying US-ICN-SYD and how that prices out?

I flew this route as part of a RTW award a few years back, with the old seats. Isn't it a 120k award in Biz?

thepointsguy Oct 15, 10 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 14953973)
I flew this route as part of a RTW award a few years back, with the old seats. Isn't it a 120k award in Biz?

US-SYD biz is 150k

Jaimito Cartero Oct 16, 10 2:54 am

Originally Posted by pitbrian (Post 14954128)
US-SYD biz is 150k

150k seems a little harsh. Africa and Asia are 120k and mileage is often similar. Given the difference, I'd probably book a RTW award for 280k.

s1c3r1a1b3b3l1e1 Oct 16, 10 3:58 am

US-SYD biz is 150k

Do you know what it is HNL-SYD through ICN? Again, if DL would just post their award redemption prices online like everyone else, I wouldn't be asking this question. And, I would know whether or not I need to call back when I get an agent on the phone who tells me that it is 480k miles in business class. Obviously, that is an exaggeration, but some of the prices quoted online are so crazy. And the website suggests that they are the low level.

Winkdaddy Oct 16, 10 6:35 am

US-SYD biz is 150k

That 150k in BE number for US-SYD is among the hardest to achieve with Delta. Its very rare that I have seen these pop up.

On another note, does anyone think Delta will integrate KE award ticket functionality into their website with this big "fix" thing going on through 1st quarter 2011? I hope so!