Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

$20 direct ticketing fee not waved when using VDB voucher

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2010, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd

I made a reservation on the phone using a $400 VDB voucher, and was charged a $20 ticketing fee. I called back and the agent said it should have been waived as a plat, then she talked to a supervisor, and was told that the fee was not waived when using an ECV (though it would have been waived if it were just a credit card or skymiles purchase).

What gives?

edit: FWIW, this was a post-merger pre-feburary (10/2009) 006 ECV issued at LAS.

Last edited by ifette; Feb 6, 2010 at 1:26 am
Old Feb 6, 2010, 1:30 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
This, my friend...Is what's know as BS.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 4:01 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Ask to be shown that rule online. If it's there, then it's a lost cause.

If they can't find it online, complain via email until they give you another ECV for the $20, plus some RDMs.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 7:16 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
@:-) DL should add a VDB redemption fee of $50 on top of the call center fee.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 8:14 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by sbagdon
Ask to be shown that rule online. If it's there, then it's a lost cause.

If they can't find it online, complain via email until they give you another ECV for the $20, plus some RDMs.
I'd ask for $40, because next time, they'll again charge you $20 to use the ECV
Old Feb 6, 2010, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I'll chime in for WBurcham here (since he's off in SFO), but he uses a lot of vouchers to buy his tickets and whenever he phones in for a ticket, he gets dinged the direct ticketing fee - however, they've been willing to give him a voucher of some sort for the fee (so pay $20 on the card, get a $20 voucher back). Not ideal, but doable. I'd call back and try and get at least a $20 voucher out of it.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 8:36 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I had to call to use an old NW paper ECV for $50 off. I was talking with a Chisholm agent and asked and was told the as a plat, there would be no fee. The e-mail receipt had the ticket and an additional $20 direct ticketing fee. I emailed and yesterday got a response (about a week) indicating that the fee would be credited back to my card.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
Originally Posted by mot29
I had to call to use an old NW paper ECV for $50 off. I was talking with a Chisholm agent and asked and was told the as a plat, there would be no fee. The e-mail receipt had the ticket and an additional $20 direct ticketing fee. I emailed and yesterday got a response (about a week) indicating that the fee would be credited back to my card.
I got the agent to cancel the ticket, re-open the ECV, and let me book it online. Sigh.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 11:03 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
delta is full of inconsistency!
i think they (agents and computers) just dont know what the rules are.
thankfully, i can use an 012 ecv on delta.com!
Old Feb 6, 2010, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Just yesterday I had to call Delta for the THIRD time to get a $20 phone fee refunded. I stupidly called the Plat line back in January to use the 24-hour refund and purchse a new ticket for different dates. The agent mistakenly charged me the $20 ticketing fee.

Why is this not computerized Delta? It should be *easy* to just not charge the $20 if a Diamond or Plat or Gold has called in and is booking a ticket and they are the passenger flying.

If you're a conspiracy theorist this is Delta dinging anyone for $20 and then hoping no one realizes it so they can collect the fee. Personally, this is about the easiest thing you can do with IT. (IF passenger = Diamond/Plat/God, THEN ticketingfee = 0). DUH!

-RM
Old Feb 6, 2010, 12:50 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
(IF passenger = Diamond/Plat/God, THEN ticketingfee = 0). DUH!
Is there in fact a published exception for god?
Old Feb 6, 2010, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I don't think this should come as a surprise to anyone. Delta is the FEE airline. And I'd really guess that someone, somewhere encourages these types of charges even to Plats, knowing that a great majority of them will slip through, or people won't bother to get it refunded.

Really despicable behavior.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 3:13 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I don't think this should come as a surprise to anyone. Delta is the FEE airline. And I'd really guess that someone, somewhere encourages these types of charges even to Plats, knowing that a great majority of them will slip through, or people won't bother to get it refunded.

Really despicable behavior.
this forum is full of delta supporters who will go after you!
Old Feb 6, 2010, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
It used to be that non-electronic DL vouchers could be redeemed by phone or in person at an airport ticket desk, i.e. if you couldn't do it yourself on-line, no additional charges were padded on. I redeemed a number of bump vouchers this way before they became electronic.

This makes non-electronic vouchers a bit of a scam because they're actually worth $20 less than you think you're receiving, in other words take 40% off the top of a $50 voucher and 10% off the top of a $200 voucher.

NW would replace non-electronic vouchers with electronic ones if you mailed them to their redemption center & asked them to. Is that possible with Delta?
Old Feb 6, 2010, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
Are you high? Don't you know that DL reps actually read the crap we post? You've just given them an idea!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.